Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a mold for 375 H&H, what do you recommend?

Boolit Master

Need a mold for 375 H&H, what do you recommend?

I want to cast for a 375 H&H, I need bullet and powder recommendations. I'd REALLY like to stretch the bullet out as far as possible, too. If I can shoot far enough then I can skip shooting jacketed when I want to go farther than 100 yards. If I could shoot an 18-24" circle at 700 or 800 yards I would be floored. But if I had a good bullet that could get me to a 10" circle at 300 yards, that would be great too. If I have to settle for 100 yard accuracy only, so be it, but I'm really hoping I can push out there.

(If I could grow a horn on this horse to make it a unicorn I'd ask for a plain base bullet too)

Any suggestions for a good bullet to do this, and what powder would get me there?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've got a bullet around 280 gr. from NOE. Check their catalog. Stick with a Loverin design, you should find one that works well.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Im using a 38 cal Nasa by Bernie rowels in my 38-55 it casts around .377 dia and weighs 365 grns cast from 20-1. I use it over BP for BPCR matches out to 500yds ( Shillouette) It holds the Rams with room to spare. My rifle has a 1-12 twist barrel on it. This is a plain based bullet also. Check you rifles twist rate before going with these long bullets.
    Cast bullets properly stabilized will shoot accurately at long ranges, finding the right drop and reading the wind is the thing.
    Last edited by country gent; 12-04-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: oops

Boolit Master
    I have the RCBS 37-250-FN (gas check) and the Lyman 378674 (plain base). The RCBS will shoot into 4" at two hundred yards. Have not got to shoot that distance with the Lyman. Unless you are independently wealthy, you'll need to get some WC 860 from Bartlett if you are going to shoot boolits in any quantity from the ouch & ouch.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lyman #375449. It is a gas check design and using the last of my stash of DuPont's SR-4759 it will group under 2 MOA from my Model 70. Very pleasant to shoot.

Boolit Master

I use the Lyman 375449 with Hornady Gas Check and Javalina lube, I use from 58 to 60 grains of old 4831.
    Cloverleafs at 100 yards with an old Win Model 70 375

Mike

http://50caliberforum.proboards.com/...ing-375-magnum
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master
    Have used the Lee .375 w/ some Unique w/ good success.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Im using a 38 cal Nasa by Bernie rowels in my 38-55 it casts around .377 dia and weighs 365 grns cast from 20-1. I use it over BP for BPCR matches out to 500yds ( Shillouette) It holds the Rams with room to spare. My rifle has a 1-12 twist barrel on it. This is a plain based bullet also. Check you rifles twist rate before going with these long bullets.
    Cast bullets properly stabilized will shoot accurately at long ranges, finding the right drop and reading the wind is the thing.
    1 in 12 twist for me. Where did you get this mold? 365 grn is huge. I'm also a big big believer in lots of driving band.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    I have the RCBS 37-250-FN (gas check) and the Lyman 378674 (plain base). The RCBS will shoot into 4" at two hundred yards. Have not got to shoot that distance with the Lyman. Unless you are independently wealthy, you'll need to get some WC 860 from Bartlett if you are going to shoot boolits in any quantity from the ouch & ouch.
    I hear you on powder consumption, but the real money to save is in shooting cast. A premium bullet in .375 is near a buck a pop compared to 30 cents for a 6mm, and boutique bullets are double that. I think 300 grains of lead is 60 cents or less, factoring in antimony, tin, lube, etc.

But as far as WC860, what I have is WC-872. Do you think that could also work for such an animal? I have a ton of 872... it didn't work very well in 7x57 with cast compared to trailboss which is why I originally bought it.

I use the Lyman 375449 with Gas Check and push it with IMR4198 it does me very well.

Boolit Master

Oh, I really like IMR4198 in my 460S&W, success there means I can buy in even more bulk if this works. Do you think 4198 will work for pushing distance? What's your velocity? below or above 1500 fps?

I have a great youtube video of clocking a (admittedly large) piece of steel at 450 yards with my BFR in 460 S&W, very satisfying.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I've got a bullet around 280 gr. from NOE. Check their catalog. Stick with a Loverin design, you should find one that works well.
    And just to confirm, you advise loverin over a heavy for cal BPS type mold that may have the same amount of dicing band, but push CG forward of the driving band rather than keep Cg and CP pretty close?

Boolit Master

I like the 375296 Lyman. Shot well in my Number 1. You can sure beat 10" at 300 yards./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I have an Accurate Molds 335gr mold that I like and it shoots very well in my 375 Hurt&Hurt.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    And just to confirm, you advise loverin over a heavy for cal BPS type mold that may have the same amount of dicing band, but push CG forward of the driving band rather than keep Cg and CP pretty close?

For longer range work, the flat nose will be easier to work with than a pointed bullet.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I've shot #375449 GC from 50-50 wheelweights-lino scrap in near full-charge loads with 65 grains of IMR4350 and 2 grains Dacron fill, out to 300 yards in Winchester Model 70 and it performs well on game too.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    I want to cast for a 375 H&H, I need bullet and powder recommendations. I'd REALLY like to stretch the bullet out as far as possible, too. If I can shoot far enough then I can skip shooting jacketed when I want to go farther than 100 yards. If I could shoot an 18-24" circle at 700 or 800 yards I would be floored. But if I had a good bullet that could get me to a 10" circle at 300 yards, that would be great too. If I have to settle for 100 yard accuracy only, so be it, but I'm really hoping I can push out there.

(If I could grow a horn on this horse to make it a unicorn I'd ask for a plain base bullet too)

Any suggestions for a good bullet to do this, and what powder would get me there?
    Given your desire for a long range cast .375 bullet I would ask NOE if they can make the 376-329-RN for a GC instead of PB. Or I would look at Accurate Arms 37-325C mould. I load the 375449 to 2150 - 200 fps and while it will hold well inside 10" at 300 yards out of my M70 it did not fair well at 700 yards when I tried it for S&Gs...... A heavier bullet with a RN or less meplat should hold well though.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    White rabbit

I have not tried WC-872 but it’s only a little slower than 860. I’d give it a try; especially if you go with a heavier boolit. I checked records & showed 2300 FPS with the Lyman (paper patched) and a case full of 860.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Grand Master
    My H&H boolit is the 310gr BRP. Using 4759 at around 2000fps it will go about 1.25"-1.5" @100yds all day. Have the 280ish NOE, but haven't shot them yet. I think NOE makes a 310ish gr. mold too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast