Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting single shots as a guest

Boolit Bub

Shooting single shots as a guest

Howdy all,

There is something that I've been wondering about. Does anybody know of any places in the West (I live in Arizona) where a person can go and shoot single shot BPCR as a guest? Sort of like a dude ranch for rifles. I'm thinking Sharps 1874 or 1885 High Wall in 45-70 or similar. Smokeless would be fine, too. I would like to have the experience of shooting some of these guns with some guidance and without committing to owning one. Shooting steel at some distance would be ideal. Apologies if this question should be in a different area. Mods feel free to move it. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Ben Avery in north Phoenix I'm told.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks. That's my local range, but I didn't know they offered anything like that. I think there are clubs and competitions, but I figured most of those guys have their own rifles. I'll have to look into it.

You can shoot at Ben Avery most days. They have ranges for most any discipline. Also can shoot at Joe Foss at Buckeye on some days of the week. Better check the website as the shooting times vary with the season IIRC.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, guys. I think it's possible that my question is being misunderstood. I don't own any rifles like this. I want somebody else to provide a rifle that I can shoot, along with some instruction. I am willing to pay a fee for this. That's where my "dude ranch" comment came from. Make sense?

Boolit Master
    You may just have to hang out at these places, ask lots of questions and them maybe someone will let you try their gun, but soon you'll have to shell out for your own gun. For a first gun maybe a used H&R or some such so you don't have a big investment if you tire of this shooting.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks again MT Chambers. Something to think about.

Boolit Master

Most of the guys that shoot this discipline are pretty generous with info and even letting you try their rifles if you do like MT Chambers suggested. I have never heard of a place that rented out equipment and ammo for doing it though. It is a small niche market and you really have to load your own ammo to be competitive which would be a big can of worms liability wise.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    List of AZ rifle ranges - call the one(s) closest to you ... https://rangelistings.com/shooting-ranges/AZ.html
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

There are ranges that do rent firearms for on site use. Not sure other than basic safety for the firearm how much "help" they offer. Several ranges around here rent various firearms. Better may be to post on the bulletin board at your local club what your looking for and see what turns up. A lot of shooters are more than happy to help a shooter out or get started in a new discipline.

A big Warning here: Shooting and working with these single shot rifles is addictive. And like potato chips one is never enough.

Give me a shout if you're in Albuquerque. We can provide plenty of that experience.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, fellas.

Nobade,

Thanks for the offer. Funny you should mention that. Before moving to Az, I lived in Albuquerque for 11 years. Used to shoot at the public range on the west side. Right before moving I got approved for membership at Zia but had to pass. At the city range, thanks to generous folks, I did get the opportunity to try several interesting rifles, including a Shiloh 45-90 and a flintlock. But only one or two shots. I'm looking for a more extended session.

Never know, it's possible that I could move back to Abq. someday. I'll keep researching this.

Boolit Master

Post a card on the bulletin board at the range. Offer to purchase ammo and provide cold drinks. Leave contact info.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk man View Post
    Thanks, guys. I think it's possible that my question is being misunderstood. I don't own any rifles like this. I want somebody else to provide a rifle that I can shoot, along with some instruction. I am willing to pay a fee for this. That's where my "dude ranch" comment came from. Make sense?
    Blackhawk man, Ben Avery used to have a large monthly match for BPCR silhouette. Steve Rhoades,the long time match director passed this last year and I have not heard who or even if someone took over the match. Check in with Ben Avery to see if it is on the calendar and attend it.
    You know the rest, go and talk with the riflemen at the match and often they will let you shoot on an open relay with their rifle and ammo. We do this at the match I put on. We are always looking to bring in new shooters.

It is highly unlikely you will find some place that has a BPCR and ammo just waiting for someone to come in and rent like a trap range rents a shotgun. The BPCR market is SO narrow it would be a one in a million.

Good luck,
    Michael Rix
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

For several years a couple local clubs here put on "beginners" weekends. People could stop in tour the club and do a little well supervised shooting. Club members would come and man the benches with various rifles pistols and shotguns with ammo for new people to try. If we knew someone was coming with a special interest we tried to accomadate them. It was a good weekend, picked up a few new members and meet a lot of people.

Boolit Bub
    ulav8r,
    Good idea.

Chill Wills,
    I will look into that at Ben Avery. I see now that what I originally had in mind is something that maybe doesn't exist. Oh well.

Thanks again for the replies.
    Last edited by blackhawk man; 12-04-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you country gent. You posted while I was writing. What you described is a lot more like what I had in mind. I just need to find something like that out here, with specific types of rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Our club is pretty diverse. there were a few different rifles and firearms. The one local BPC club had a beginners day where we brought are rifles and ammo and people interested could try their hand at the rams at 500yds with them under supervision. I took several rifles. A Hepburn in 45-90, A CPA shillouette model in 40-65 and a Pedersoli 74 in45-70. There was a selection of rifles there. We also had my big pot and some moulds set up under a tree to show casting bullets and how. This wasn't hands on for the people but a few of us took turns sitting there running bullets for them to watch. We had to shut this down early so the pot and moulds could cool out and be loaded up at quiting time.

Boolit Bub
    Perfect. Wish I could have been there.

Boolit Master
    Attend a BPCR silhouette match and talk to the competitors.
    I am sure you could find a shooter willing to meet you for some shooting.
    If you ever go to central Texas let me know. I can certainly arrange for you to shoot paper targets.
    EDG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast