Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Has Anyone Had a Reaction with Powder coated Bullets and Smokeless Powder?

Boolit Master

Has Anyone Had a Reaction with Powder coated Bullets and Smokeless Powder?

I haven't yet. I am relatively new at this. I am using Smoke's powder. I wanted to ask about long term storage issues, if any of the common pistol powders react with the powder coat on the bullet bases.

In 5 years, No..

Boolit Buddy
    Drop a couple painted bullets in a baggie with the powder(s) of your choice, seal it up then check it in a week and report back. Dont take anyone’s opinion. Pay attention to the gloss on the paint now and then after a week.

Boolit Master

This issue has surfaced in the past, perticularly with Titegroup. I think the issue was not baking some coating long enough. Search function is your friend here.
    Last edited by Greg S; 12-05-2018 at 12:09 PM.

I've pulled some PC boolits after 2 years being loaded. And see no issues with the powder or coat.

Msds states cured powder coat is inert.

You can change it chemically with solvent s.

I wonder if home made black powder made with piss would have a super high amonia content. Enounh to etch the paint....

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    IF AMONIA LEVEL WAS THAT HIGH, i WOULD ALSO WORRY ABOUT THE BRASS!

Boolit Master
    Old topic discussed many times in the past. Long & short it is nothing to worry about.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    I've pulled some PC boolits after 2 years being loaded. And see no issues with the powder or coat.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk
    Were your bullets stored nose up or down?

Boolit Master
    I put multiple colors of completely cured bullets into a jar of mixed powder I have accumulated over the last 40 years, so there was numerous brands/types of powder, some no longer made. I let it sit for a year. Checking the bullets there was no softening, discolor or any damage to the PC.
    I also load several thousand PC rounds at a time and regularly shoot ammo that has been sitting for a couple of years with no issue. Like I said, this is a topic that has been discussed since I started PC back in 2012 and as far as I am concerned it is a non-issue.

Yes there can be a reaction with high nitroglycerin double base powders and some powders (HF red is one). The powder becomes slightly discolored and the powder coat gets etched by the flakes sitting on it. Just like with RCBS and Hornady hoppers getting discolored by high nitro powders left in them (or used a lot over several years), it's cosmetic and does not seem to make a difference in performance. I have some bullets with powder sitting against them facing down that I loaded 3 years ago and should probably check on them again.

My reloads usually don't sit around for more than a month or so but I probably have some that are a couple of years old and I've never had a problem with them going bang or hitting the target. I was going to do a long term test by loading several lots and testing them over a couple of years and chronographing them but it's not worth the time to discover that they only change by a few 10's of fps but can't be felt when shooting. They feel right and shoot straight for handgun applications so it's not worth the effort.