Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: What Kind of BP or Substitute to get?

Boolit Master

What Kind of BP or Substitute to get?

I have come across two 32 S&W breaktop revolvers, a S&W and a Forehand arms. The best I can tell they were made in the late 1800's, in the late BP era. I have fired them with factory ammo, and ridiculously light reloads using Bullseye powder, with no bad results. I would like to try BP, as this is what these revolvers were intended to use.

It's been hard getting specific loading data. All sources agree that 3F powder or equivalent should be used, with no airspace under the bullet. I have been advised to forget about weighing the powder, just fill the case until the bullet base is reached. The Forehand Arms will take 32 S&W long cases also, although I don't think it was intended for these. Cylinder is bored straight through. Should those cases be filled to the bullet base also? Is that good advice? Also I have been advised that Shockey's American Select Gold is a good choice, as it is cleaner. What do you think of this powder, or even Pyrodex, for this application? My BP experience is limited to a T/C Hawken cap lock .45 cal rifle.

Boolit Master

Lyman prints a black powder manual, you may not need to fill the case completely with powder some type of filler might be needed, but you do want make sure there is no air space left when you seat the bullet. I have not had any success with any of the substitutes.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

I would find the charge that just fills the case to the base of the bullet and add enough to get .030-.060 compression. add wad cut from playing cards roughly .020 thick. compress to depth and seat the bullet down to touch wads. A softer bullet can be used and use a lube for BP like SPG or Emmerts if you want to make it yourself. A little compression helps with ignition and consistency. A standard primer should work fine.
    While you don't need to weigh charges it is easier to throw them with a dipper or measure than fill cases and measure each one. A simple dipper made from a case works fine.

This is for true BP loads substitutes contact the makers and get their info.
    Last edited by country gent; 12-04-2018 at 12:19 AM. Reason: addition

Don't use pyrodex. Then you'll have to completely disassemble your revolver to clean it and make sure it doesn't rust. Any 3f black powder will work, brand doesn't matter. On the one bored straight through, it probably needs a heeled bullet. Measure the barrel to see. I have a H&R like that, thought it took 38 S&W but it's really 38 Colt. I shoot it with 357 mag cases, round balls, and a small charge of BP.

Boolit Master
    Nobade, I did order a custom heeled bullet mold. Should be here this month. A blunt 90 gr with two .335 thin driving bands (cylinder diameter). Just enough to seal the cylinders, but thin enough, that with a soft alloy it should swage down to the standard .314 bore nicely. We shall see. Not very cost effective to mess with these old guns, considering the cost of a custom mold and a special heeled bullet crimping die, but what the heck, I need a winter project.

Boolit Grand Master

Blackhorn 209 will be the cleanest.

Boolit Buddy
    Regular APP works just fine. Why pay extra for Shockey's mug on the container? Same stuff!
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE