WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clements 41 makes meat!

Boolit Master

Clements 41 makes meat!

Got a kinda late start Sunday morning, about 8:30. Considering how the wing was blowing I didn't see it making a lot of difference, but I really needed an outside break. Suprisingly the deer were moving,little skittish but sometimes that plays to my advantage. I was slowly still hunting my way thru a pine thickett bordering the picked cornfield and spotted a nice buck entering the overgrown pasture beyond the cornfield. Being my farm, I thought I knew where he might be headed so started working my way towards a cutoff point. Well he/we outsmarted myself and he took the other fork towards the corn. Worked my way to the edge but after anout 20 minutes, the best shot I was presented was better than 75 yards. My limit for me and opensighted revolver is 50, do no go. Slid back into the pines and back to stillhunting toward the bigwoods. Not seeing any does was strange, but I spotted a young buck sneezing, yep he was sneezing! I was already inside 50 but this being the first game for this 41 Special GP100, I was not going to rush things. He was slowly quartering past me toward the corn and the wind was in my favor. At about 30 yards it looked like my best shot. He held up with his chest behind a tree, seeming forever. Finally taking a step forward, his shoulder came clear as he stopped for a look around. I stedied the back of my left hand on a pine tree .....and promptly shot a limb off the tree in front of me##$$%^^! Ok, nothing beats the brush, not even a 230gr rf hp! Amazingly ,and a testament to the intelligence of a buck in rut, he didn,t move a muscle! Slowly cocked the GP100 again ,this time checking for any more timber in the way, I settled the blade top on his shoulder and squeezed it thru. He rared up and tookoff, for about 20 yards. Chrashed,head long, into a tree and ricocheted off another to the ground. He was dead when I got to him. Nice eating size 5 point with a thru and thru right where the front sight was! Forgot to check the bloodtrail as I saw him fall and waz a bit excited. I love hunting them on the ground and getting close. The revolver added almost as much to the experience as my longbows. Given how much time I don't have to shoot my bows, the revolver is a nice substitute.
    Now for a doe or two with a Rem 14, and the freezer will be stocked. This one is boned out and on ice.
    NOE413234hp 2/2/96 waterdropped launched by 13.5 gr 2400 from Starline 41Special brass.
    Last edited by rking22; 12-03-2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added load data
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Yes sir! That’s my kind of huntin!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master

Nice!

Boolit Master
    lookee here all you shooters of earsplitzenloudenboomens , a fine specimen of govt beef knocked off the hoof and onto the table with a modest handgun. Aint that just a beeeutifell thing !!!! With a handgun no less, on foot, stalkin the woods a barely describable experience savord by few. Congrats on a great hunt.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't think the 41 special is modest, not in the way factory 44 special is. It's just the easy way to fit a 41 caliber into a GP100. rking22's load was right up in 41 mag territory. The finest of all deer calibers if you ask me.

Boolit Master

Congratulations, and thanks for a good tale. I harvested a nice size tree limb last year, she didn't stick around though.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Great shooting and keeping calm after the the first shot hick up.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. I did do some cussin, but waited till drag time! And yes, that load is on the upper end of Special territory, think it's 1100ish. I always thought the GP was a "40" frame, I've got the Ruger 5shot 44 too
    Jeff Michel, I still can't believe I didn't see it, guess I was too busy picking a spot. I think the does are smarter and more twitchie than bucks, especially during the rut!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    rking,

Well done sir. Up close and personal on the ground is tops!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    Congrats! Loved your story, too!

Boolit Master

Good one!

Boolit Master
    Congratulations on a fine deer taken with a great caliber! We've all ate pine tree soup before, sooner or later it happens it all of us. I managed to hit a steel fence post this year, the deer moved a few feet & the next shot put her to sleep. Great job on that nice buck!

Dick

Boolit Master

I love it when a plan comes together! Nice buck with a nice cartridge.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Perfect!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Great story

Boolit Grand Master
    enjoyed the write up and your hunt felt almost like I was there
    congrats on the buck good hunting
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Cast Hunter

Nice buck. Well done Sir!
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congratulations !
    Hunting with a handgun is near as tough as the string and stick... Some good eating you have there.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

Lol. That's a great tale. My favorite is when I shot my ghost blind a couple of years ago. Forgot that the arrow sat lower than the sight. Buddy is still laughing about it. Hehehe so am I

Boolit Buddy

Lol. That's a great tale. My favorite is when I shot my ghost blind a couple of years ago. Forgot that the arrow sat lower than the sight. Buddy is still laughing about it. Hehehe so am I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast