Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MEC 600 slugger

Boolit Master

MEC 600 slugger

Is there a reason, other than money. That MEC won't sell spare parts, die sets for the slugger. I have one in 12 ga, but would like a set of 20 ga to swap out on occasion, without having to buy a whole new press.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Never even been close to a Slugger to see what the difference is, loaded a lot of slugs on a 600 Jr. Wondering if the 20ga parts set off another model wouldn't work?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

You just had to talk about it. I've actually been eyeballing a 600 Slugger vs. a drill press just for the "roll" crimp. So far I'm in two roll crimpers for $45 and a HF drill press (tomorrow) for $120, I'm overhalf way if I return the crimpers and don't buy the drill press.
    Michael

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    You just had to talk about it. I've actually been eyeballing a 600 Slugger vs. a drill press just for the "roll" crimp. So far I'm in two roll crimpers for $45 and a HF drill press (tomorrow) for $120, I'm overhalf way if I return the crimpers and don't buy the drill press.
    Heck, must also include the BPI Hull Vise & Spin Doctor, that's another $67!
    Michael

Boolit Grand Master

I ended up buying the vice, I already had a drill press, bought a jig for a hand drill, and I'm sure more. You don't need any of it. If you have a MEC 600Jr., you already have, or need a MEC supersizer. I use the super sizer as the vice, and a hand drill for the roll crimp. I can make better crimps with a hand drill than I can on a drill press. Reasons being I can go a lot slower with the hand drill, and I get better results using feel. Using a stop didn't work well for me. You don't need a spin doctor either. I've got one, but it really doesn't work all that well. I use a fishing bobber, a big catfish style one I already had, and saw another member use the same thing. Any cone shaped object the right size will work. I just push it in until it expands the mouth enough, and it is ready to load. The BPI roll crimpers are OK. I get perfectly acceptable crimps with mine, but once in a while I get one that is crooked. The double roller pin model is the one to buy for 12 gauge.

Boolit Master

Well, I did go off the deep end and bought the Slugger. I've been looking at it for months. I figure that the production is seasonal and that bore some truth as I looked at the various retailers that I had been watching it on. The only one with that was not out of stock was MidwayUSA. I bought it and went back to the product page and it to capture a picture of the press, and saw that I had bought the last one, Midway was out of stock. I figure it was meant to be. I also purchased seven more bushings, a bushing stand, primer feeder, and a bench mount.

I will keep my Load-All II, I think it is a good press, and I need to load BBs for my hog loads. I prefer them over buckshot.
    Michael

I had the MEC slugger and returned it the same week. I think the reason they won’t sell parts is because it would be super easy to convert you old 600 jr over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Just watched a video from MEC on the Slugger
    Sure makes a nice looking roll crimp
    After watcing it, I wonder why anyone wastes time with roll crimping tools.

Boolit Grand Master

What is the difference between the Slugger and a standard MEC 600 Jr.? From what I can tell from reading it is just the different crimp dies but they sure jack up the cost for that. If I could buy the conversion kit (for a reasonable cost anyway) I'd try it just to see but really using my Sizemaster and then roll crimping works pretty well.

My Sizemaster cost me $150.00 CDN used but with extra "stuff" and a Universal charge bar and I got my 600 Jr. for $25.00 CDN also with extras and a Universal charge bar. Good deals both and both in perfect shape. A guy can't complain about that!

I love the Sizemaster!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Just watched a video from MEC on the Slugger
    Sure makes a nice looking roll crimp
    After watcing it, I wonder why anyone wastes time with roll crimping tools.
    Exactly, my only interest in shotshell loading is 12G slugs and BBs for hogs. No birds here to hunt.
    Michael

Boolit Master

Also, I enjoy reloading equipment. What's another press in this room.

The Load-All II is on a bench to the right, out of view. I'm thinking about mounting Slugger, the bench mount, on the free standing pedestal that the vise is on. If the vice can be adapated to the mount, I will buy another so I can switch them out.
    Michael

Banned

I have two Sizemasters
    I have two Lee Load-Alls. One is an Aluimum base.
    I think I "need"/want a Slugger now that I have seen what it can do.
    It makes beautiful roll crimps
    Will sell my roll crimping tools and it will be of little cost

Boolit Master
    ... load BBs for my hog loads. I prefer them over buckshot.
    Can you tell us more about your choice of BBs for hog loads?

The problem with the Slugger is you have to keep the same slug recipe, components and all, or keep adjusting for each different type You reload. I wasn’t at all impressed with the crimps in person or in the vid I seen.

I only had mine a week, but during that time wasted about 50-75 hulls trying to get a decent crimp.

If anyone figured it out, please share pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    Can you tell us more about your choice of BBs for hog loads?
    Sure can. My shotgun hog hunting is always at night, 90% of it, shooting hogs under a feeder light. In that the hogs are between the feeder legs, I've seen buckshot knock a leg out from under the feeder. I've had BB hits, but the scoot right around the leg. When a sounder is tight under feeder, I expect to kill three to five with the first shot. After the shot, it sure is a lot easier to hit one on the fly with BBs. What is surprizing is that at 35-yards out, every BB will remain within the legs. It is absolutely devistating. I made the switch from BBs back in 1979, then we were baiting crossfences heavy with corn and would stay out all night with no lights. Much easier to secure kills with BBs.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Sure can. My shotgun hog hunting is always at night, 90% of it, shooting hogs under a feeder light. In that the hogs are between the feeder legs, I've seen buckshot knock a leg out from under the feeder. I've had BB hits, but the scoot right around the leg. When a sounder is tight under feeder, I expect to kill three to five with the first shot. After the shot, it sure is a lot easier to hit one on the fly with BBs. What is surprizing is that at 35-yards out, every BB will remain within the legs. It is absolutely devistating. I made the switch from BBs back in 1979, then we were baiting crossfences heavy with corn and would stay out all night with no lights. Much easier to secure kills with BBs.
    So you focus on close in head shots?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    So you focus on close in head shots?
    Nope. At 35-yards, slightly high on the center of the group confined under the feeder legs. All the hogs have their heads down trying to outfeed each other and headshots are a low percentage kill at night even with rifles. The kills typically come from spine hits. Hard to believe, but I've had a single BB kill a large hog immediately when hit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hogs_111517_NH500.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	231638

Typical kill, from one shotshell.
    Michael

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! I never thought a BB would do that kind of damage to hogs. Of course at 4000fps, just about anything is deadly! Lol. What kind of velocities are you loading them to?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pashiner View Post
    Wow! I never thought a BB would do that kind of damage to hogs. Of course at 4000fps, just about anything is deadly! Lol. What kind of velocities are you loading them to?
    I'm not sure. When I started this type of hunting in 1979, I bought a 1K round case of 2¾" Rem Express BBs, and I'm down to three shells. I've used them very judiciously, I've probably shot less than 5 to check the shot pattern, and I've never pulled the trigger unless I'm confident that at least one hog will drop. Last year at this time, I started to look for another case of BBs and was surprised to see that they are almost unobtainable, now package in five-round boxes for self defense. F'ing zombie shooters. Heck, I walked into a hardware store in Hondo, TX and bought that case as everyone was using BBs on hogs. I also found that lead BBs are tough to find, now nickel plated or steel, and they are not cheap.

I do understand the niche that BBs hold when you use them as I have, that is what you will find if you come knocking at my door in the dead of night. I would hate to have a handgun against someone with a 12-Gauge and a heavy load of BBs. I'd rather face an opponent using buckshot; you are doomed with BBs. Anyway, the slugs for hunting have held up the BB loads, but once the Slugger is set up, I will start working with the Load-All on the BB loads. I have about 80% of the hulls from that original case. I've always tried to recover them as I've been in pastures with cattle.

If the Oasis Shot Maker could drip BBs, I would have already bought it.
    Michael

Boolit Master

Dang it, Slugger didn't show up today. Its coming UPS/USPS and at least our small town still has Saturday mail and employees that care.
    Michael

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast