Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: factory ammo

Boolit Grand Master

factory ammo

I just bought a new rifle and wanted to use it this season on a late doe hunt we have coming
    so I bought two boxes of 30-06 Remington 150 gr coreloct
    now I haven't bought any ammo for any gun for so long I can't even tell ya when the last time was
    two boxes each had one fail to fire (well so far still have some left in box 2)
    this is exactly why I don't buy from anyone's factory
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I have had problems with Remington and misfires in 22's but not so much centerfire. I have been using Hornady LE's and Full Boar with no problem. I have also had some batches of primers give me misfires on reloads.

DEP

Boolit Master

I had a bad primer with Federal Factory TrapLoads fail to go off in a Registered ATA shoot when I was a teenager. Frazzled me so much I blew that round and so a 75 straight. Was Top Junior on Sat. Sun when that misfire occurred I finished last. Haven't trusted factory ammo since.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    my son says I should contact Remington and tell them what happened
    would you do that or let it go
    I know that the primer charge was yellow not the reddish color of the normal 9.5 large rifle primers
    can't see any difference on the exterior of the primer
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Shoot up that junk, save the brass and load your own.

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't remember the last time I had a factory centerfire rifle round misfire. Rimfire yes, surplus yes, factory new no.

If it was just one round, I would be inclined to ignore it; but since you had at least one round from two different twenty round boxes misfire, I would contact Remington with the lot number and where you bought it.

Oh yeah, don't try to shoot the rest of it until you hear back from Remington.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry for your failures! Few things can be so troublesome as hearing a click instead of a bang -- but, I believe we all can be thankful you were not in a self-defense situation when you found some to be duds. If it was me, I'd both eMail Remington, and telephone them. You can add a photo of the box -- with code number -- to your email; and, have number ready with your call. I'd be surprised if Remington would not wish to learn of the failure to fire.
    Of course, questions re YOUR firearm will arise: Is it in 100% working order, with factory firing pin or striker extension upon firing; is the hammer spring sufficient; is your chamber clean; and similar questions of which, obviously, they have zero idea of. And, I'd not at all be surprised if they've received myriads of reports from Bubba-the-gunsmith after his (or her) improved firearm also had failures .
    Then... there's the statutes/laws: In the state I reside in, only ftf transactions with ammunition is legal; I truly do not know if, say, it was me I could post the bad rounds -- but definitely know I could not legally receive replacements.
    I once had two cans of sauerkraut explode in my kitchen cabinet -- you have NO idea re the smell or the mess -- and upon sending photos and a letter to the manufacturer....(drum roll here)... I got a coupon good for two replacement cans of the same product. (I passed...)
    Again, try the eMail and 'phone call -- and again, glad you didn't find the failure in a self-defense paradigm, as well as there being no injuries. (In kind of a sick sort of way, a non-firing cartridge, imho, sure beats one which instead explodes the firearm...)
    geo

Boolit Master
    I had a case split on a Winchester 303 round. I contacted Winchester, and then per instructions mailed the remaining rounds back to them, and got a $50 Winchester gift certificate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-11-02 12.59.53.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	231468

Boolit Master
    What George said. Let them know about the misfires and thoroughly clean and inspect your rifle.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    this rifle is brand new
    I shot 15 of my handloads prior to this happening
    without a hitch
    I even rechambered the round to try a second time
    but got the same results
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    If you were "in the business" & they were rounds YOU loaded, & then were sold to someone else, and they had this trouble... would you not want to know about it.

"Contact Remington about it", would be what I suggest.

G'Luck!

BTW... Please share here if ya do contact them. I'd bet I am not the only one who would like to know how you get treated.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I guess I am the exception. I have never had a factory round fail to fire. Cannot even remember a military round fail to fire that was the ammo's fault (plenty were due to the firearm). Well, there was a tank round (105mm) that failed to fire. It was an old lot of ammo and made me nervous cause it was a live HEP round (we had one of those explode as it left the barrel).

I have had several bad primers in the past year. Remington and Federal. Before this year I cannot remember having a bad primer in reloads in the past 40 years.

If you have the packaging send the end flap (with the lot no) and round back to remington. They can at least use it to evaluate their production processes.

Boolit Grand Master

Contact Remington, Simply explain what happened describe equipment and give ammos lot numbers from end flap of boxes. Be courteous and polite in e-mail ( remember your doing them the favor informing them of a QG issue). I had a problem years ago with some primers manufacturer sent me the QC info and a case of free primers. A couple 45 acp duds from a case (in a ispc match. No flash holes in 2 cases) the manufacturer sent me 2 cases of the same load. The only feed back thy get after its shipped is from the people using it and its important to them.

Boolit Master

they all make a bad one now and then, but remingturd has about the lowest QC of em all. i just plain and simply will not waste money on their ammo.

Boolit Master
    I would at least e mail them with the lot no. So they can gather info on maybe a potential larger problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I had a case split on a Winchester 303 round. I contacted Winchester, and then per instructions mailed the remaining rounds back to them, and got a $50 Winchester gift certificate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-11-02 12.59.53.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	231468
    ^^^^do this. Tell them it cost you the biggest buck in the county.

The thing about handload vs factory. Who makes the primers? I have had more misfires with handloads. Sometimes its the technique which I had to change and once in a while a bad batch of primers.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master

The only FTF I have had, factory or reloads, were expected.
    I don't even look at the store shelves now except for 22s.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master
    A bad primer is going to happen even if you reload. Nothing made is this world is perfect.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I had 5 fail to fire out of a box of 20 Federal American Eagle brown box 223 rem. Hadn't bought factory ammo for many years, except I purchased a Savage Axis XP and wanted to set some type of base line to compare handloads.
    Last edited by ubetcha; 12-06-2018 at 05:32 PM.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast