Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: factory ammo

Boolit Grand Master
    well rem wants em back to analyze the remaining rounds
    I also included the primer that didn't go boom
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I just bought a new rifle and wanted to use it this season on a late doe hunt we have coming
    so I bought two boxes of 30-06 Remington 150 gr coreloct
    now I haven't bought any ammo for any gun for so long I can't even tell ya when the last time was
    two boxes each had one fail to fire (well so far still have some left in box 2)
    this is exactly why I don't buy from anyone's factory
    I was called a liar over on Marlin Owners for saying almost the same thing. How Ironic..

Boolit Master
    Many years ago, probably in the mid to late 80s, I was given a box of Remington 30-06 220 grain round nose bullets that had been returned to a big box store. If I remember correctly, there were about 15 intact rounds in the box and one of the cartridges had a dented primer. Not having much use for a 220 grain bullet I put the box aside and forgot about it. Rediscovering it one day, I took it to the range, planning to fire them off and salvage the brass. None of the rounds in the box fired. My thinking then is that somehow the rounds got contaminated, probably by the original purchaser but I really don't know. I have heard that spraying WD40 or other penetrating fluids around the primer area of a cartridge can contaminate the primer. I did pull the bullets from the remaining cartridges and carefully deprimed them.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master
    I had a box of Federal ammo in 30-06 that had about half of the rounds split at the neck when fired. I was still young and dumb at the time and didn't think much of it. Looking back I should of contacted Federal instead I stopped buying Federal ammo and started reloading.

I'll occasionally snag a cpl boxes of factory if for instance the dealer makes me a deal and how charitable the feeling twds the store.Small,non corporate gunshops.

However,most of those get the JB's yanked,going straight to cast. Least ways,I'm fireforming pretty dang quick. Give the pulled JB's to the kids.

Never had a factory rifle CF cartridge ftf,have had factory handgun do it,along with maybe a dz primers in handloads over the last 40+ years.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFlatline View Post
    I was called a liar over on Marlin Owners for saying almost the same thing. How Ironic..
    not saying most of em don't know jack
    but it happens
    first time for me and I have been hunting a long,long time
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    you mean that the factory "loads" ammunition? well, i'll be!!!!

i haven't shot factory for about 25-30 years.

Boolit Master
    I was standing beside a fellow one day while he was trying out his new savage m 110 in 270 Winchester and when he fired we heard a muffled bang . When he was going to chamber another round I stopped him ... store bought Winchester factory from K Mart a jacketed bullet a couple inches in the bore . It can and does happen !

I once had a Winchester White Box 9mm that failed to fire. The primer was nicely dented and I had never had an issue with that gun failing to fire.
    When I got home, I took the bullet out and dumped the powder. Guess what, no primer flash hole.
    I only had that happen the one time though. I have fired a bunch of factory 9mm while breaking in and testing handguns just to set a standard and see what they will do.

I go back to what I mentioned earlier. I have had good luck with Hornady and Federal. A WW case split on me this year while sighting in and I had to push it out with a 35 cal. bore brush. Never have trusted Remington's all that much. Had a 270 that patterned Remington's but grouped Federals so tight handloading could only equal them. I have also had handloads misfire and had a couple of bad batches of primer. Most of the time factory loads have worked. I have shot a lot of handloads also.

An individual on the Marlin site mentioned that he pilled some bullets out of a box of Remingtons and the powder charges were pretty inconsistent. He did not mention how much they varied. I have a box of Hornady's that handloading would probably just equal in accuracy for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Or to put it another way, they are accurate enough such that anything better is nit picking. I think it is a brand thing as both Federal and Hornady depend on their reputation as ammo makers.

DEP

Boolit Master
    When I want to know how well my handloads are doing I buy a box of Federal Gold Medal Match.

Boolit Grand Master
    I sent the remaining box in to them and included 1 primer that I pulled from the guilty culprit
    they sent me another box of ammo not that I want their ammo now or ever
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    every company does bad ammo. What you should really be doing is when you go to the ammo store, look at how many boxes have been opened and tapped back shut.

At my local dunhams its very common to find boxes on the shelf that have ammunition missing, or the wrong stuff in it.

I have had perfecta .223 that would not chamber due to deformed necks

I have had Federal American eagle that would not work due to primers not going off after being ejected and reinserted into the chamber 3 or 4 times.

I have had American eagle black box that also was deformed in ways that allowed the case head to be 1/16 to deep inside the chamber when chambered.

Simply don't use what fails on ya.

Boolit Grand Master
    I cannot recall being present for a factory round failing to fire from a firearm in good order. Granted, I fire very few factory rounds these days, but I was present for hundreds of thousands of rounds being fired every year from 1983-2004 by my deputies, and when a misfire occurred it was invariably due to out-of-battery condition or mechanical fault. Ammo was 98% Winchester, small bit of Federal and Remington. It just doesn't fail very much.

I have had a few of my reloads fail to fire, and when I disassembled the fault rounds the primer was distorted during seating (and not noted during processing) or in a couple instances the primer cup contained no fuel.

Maybe I have had inordinatedly good luck with my hobby stuff and work tools.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    I have had the same good luck with factory ammo, including my time in the military. And up until this year have never had a bad primer in a reload. This year I have had three bad primers.

I do have to say that I have experienced two 'misfires' with military ammo, but, it was 105mm tank ammunition And, it was ammo that was old stock we were shooting in training (one round had to be chambered by kicking it with my boot). That was back in the late 70's.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never had a handloaded round not fire in any of my guns
    just lucky I guess
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

I handload. that's obvious because im here. that said ive boughten many boxes of corelock ammo for different guns and never had one not go off. My guess is its more likely a gun problem then an ammo problem. Ive loaded 10s or even 100s of thousands of rounds of ammo and the only bad primers ive seen were from some 30 year old ww white box primers that were stored in a damp basement for those 30 years to the point there was mold on the cartons and even then it was only about one primer per brick. The other was was some wolf large pistol primers I bought a case of and about every pack had a primer or two that didn't even have an anvil. Only other primer related failures to fire ive seen are using hard primers in a tuned DA gun with a light hammer fall. Im not a big fan of Remington primers but its mostly because they rarely make the most accurate loads in my guns. But ive yet to have one that didn't go bang. Ive got one rifle I don't load much for. A 6mm rem classic that has been passed around to different members of the family and used as a loner gun. I don't load for it because it shoots 100 grain corelocks into an inch and corelocks are cheap to buy and mostly because I didn't want to load for every relative that used it. I know that gun has shot at least a 100 boxes of corelocks through the years and never once has it failed to fire.

Boolit Master

I am finding what seems to be "Quite a Bit" of ammunition of all calibers with a primer indention but "Fail to Fire" in the trash/on the ground at the ranges I use over the last year. For ones in same caliber as my rifles; I have cleaned and attempted to fire, most it seems primers were dead as they did not fire in my firearms (tends to point to ammunition and indicates there was NOT a problem with the original firearm that attempted to fire the ammunition.

I am also having problems with "Failure to Fire" using Remington 9 ½ Large Rifle Primers (Experiencing about 1 dead primer in 200; or a ½ of 1% failure). Bought several thousands of these about 2 years ago and am slowly depleting them from my stores.

I have NEVER had a failure to fire in primers from CCI. Lots in my stores, so I will go back to them after I deplete the Remington 9 ½ Large Rifle Primers I still have on hand.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 01-07-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master
    no its definitely Remington ammo problem it's junk
    as with most of Remington's newer endeavors they fail
    quality and consistency are not in their vocabulary
    I doubt any new out of the box Winchester bolt action
    could aspire to be as a colossal failure as new Remington products
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

No_1_U_Know
    I've had cartridges split, but none ever failed to fire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12