Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Help me with a list of common thread rates

Help me with a list of common thread rates

I’d like to put together a small collection of the common threads associated with gunsmithing something that can sit on my desk and I can physically handle and get familiar with
    Common threaded pieces like barrel threads common screws that sort of stuff

What else should I learn common pin sizes ?

Barrel threading would be cool but probably not practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    May I suggest you get a pocket sized copy of the Machinist Handbook? (I'd have to go to my shop to get my copy to give you the exact name & publisher.) It lists thread pitches that are common. From there,, then you can study all the different ones that are most often used.

Boolit Master

A lot of gun threads are extra fine.

Boolit Master

A lot of gun manufactures used their own pitch so people could not go to the local hardware store and find a replacement screw. Winchester used a thread pitch of 35.5 tpi for a lot of things and most gunsmith will use 36 tpi as a replacement which works fine. Most anything made outside the US will have metric threads. There are several American companies that use 1"-16 for barrel threads but the Remington 700 uses 1.062"-16. I don't think you can find a standard among gun companies when it comes to thread sizes or pitch.

I've got a book with nothing but barrel thread specs for dozens of different rifles. There is plenty of variety out there.

Boolit Grand Master

The machinist handbook is a go to source. A current one is good but even better are 3 of them 1 current one from the mid 60s and one from the 40s. My grandfathers from the 40s copy has a lot on the old stuff but no vee belt or newer techs, it does tell how to properly lace a flat belt though. Dads from the 60s has vee belts and a small amount on flat belts many threads and techs. Mine from the 80s has no flat belt info but the newer things. They are a great source for information on materials, techs, and processes.

Boolit Master
    A must have tool is a good thread pitch gauge, and a magnifying glass,and a third hand to hold everything!

Boolit Master
    I don’t know of any source that is small and easily handled. Gun makers typically used nonstandard sizes and threads, both to ensure a captive market for spares, and for liability, so no Bubba could replace something critical with a stove bolt, blow up the gun, and then sue the manufacturer.

Frank deHaas had sections on barrel threads in the back of his Single Shot and Bolt Action rifles books. I think there are Internet compendia of barrel threads as well; you’d need to do a search.

For small pins and screws, Brownell’s Encyclopedia Of Modern Firearms, Vol. 1 is my go-to reference. It has the owners’ manuals and parts lists for about every rifle and pistol made up to 1970 or so, with appendices of screw and pin shapes, diameters and threads referenced to the part numbers.

I think it’s out of print, but well worth searching out. There are no other volumes, as far as I know.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    It is actually worthwhile to learn how to measure thread pitches without a thread pitch gauge. One cheap and dirty way is to match the unknown up to a standard bolt, mesh the threads....standard coarse and fine bolts (set screws actually work better for this) give you a good selection to work with. Second method is to measure over some pitches...the more the better with calipers and then divide the distance peak to peak by the number of pitches to get the lead.

Straight pipe threads can throw you for a loop if you are not expecting them. 1/8" has a 27 threads per inch (TPI), 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2", and 2" have an 11-1/2 TPI
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

Just buy the Brownells basic kit to get started it has the most common gun threads in it.

Boolit Buddy
    The machinist [Sic; "Machinery's] handbook is a go to source.
    Publisher: Industrial Press Inc., New York.

Boolit Master
    See if you can find one of the NRA's gunsmithing books. Has a section in there with just about any info and drawings regarding barrel shank measurements and thread specifications. Frank