Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: 9mm issues

9mm issues

I guess I’ve been having some issues with most of my 9mms over the last year or so, but I recently picked up a S&W SD9 which is giving light primer strikes. I’ve replaced the striker spring and am still having trouble with it. I’ve only tested the new spring with some reloads of 115gr XTP and titegroup but the factory Winchester target loads behaved the same prior to the new spring. I did notice tonite some odd marks on the primers that fired interested in thoughts.

Top 2 went bang bottom 3 were light strikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'm no expert on S&W Autoloaders; I am curious to know how the face of the breech looks, is the firing pin fully filling it when fully forwards? Possible broken firing pin? If the firing pin is "sloppy" in the hole, that could cause the primer expansion into the pin's hole; Low primer strike force could also let that happen (striker moves back, pushed out of the way...)

I'll hope this comment will help others see your post

There is just no question about light primer strikes, based upon the three lower primers shown in your photo. Since you've already replaced the striker spring, only two things remain. First, the possibility that your firing pin is a bit larger in diameter than spec. A light run around on a buffer might reduce the diameter sufficiently to allow it to pass through the firing pin hole in the breech face. But, also possible (and happens more frequently than you might think) is that a burr exists inside the hole itself on which the pin drags. The solution, no formal gunsmith needed, is to obtain a small, round needle file and with the slide dismounted and stripped, stick the file into the hole and rotate it a few turns. This will remove any burr, allow the pin to pass through the hole freely, and even polish the inside of the hole a bit. DO NOT scrub the file back and forth as you will enlarge the hole and get it out of round -- just rotate it a few turns. Don't overdo, just 4 or 5 rotations should be sufficient.

9 mm's head space on the case not the rim. You say it is happening in all your 9 mm's so is it possible your cases are too short and thus going in to the chambers so far that the firing pin is not contacting the primers on the short cases?
    Last edited by Minerat; 12-10-2018 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Your post says you are working with a S&W SD9 Are you talking about a SVDE 9mm ?

Boolit Master
    You can get light strikes w a deep chamber/short ammo. I have a 1911 running 357 sig, factory ammo is not an issue. But setting the shoulder back to fit another pistol and I get misfires in the 1911. Longer shoulder problem is gone.

Are your fireing pins soft and or mushed over also maybe it’s your that unlucky guy that got one with pins that are too short or the grove for the retention pin is not milled long enough or there is some built up residue in the fireing pins raceways maybe it’s time to disassemble the bolt and giver a good cleaning

Boolit Grand Master

The bottom three look like the primers were not fully seated in the pocket.
    When the primers aren't bottomed out , fully seated in the pocket the first strike moves it deeper, because it moves it lessens the impact and doesn't go bang , if they fire on the second strike then it's most likely primers not seated completely in the case.

Try a box of factory ammo just to see if its the gun or the reloads .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Wow didn’t see any of these posts til today sorry but the cases shouldn’t be to short since I don’t trim them after firing unless they get shorter with firing. And to another question I believe the pistol was a SD9 and after going back to S&W once they put a SD9VE slide on it I can’t look at anything else on the pistol as it’s been returned to the factory already but I’ll check case length since I’ve had some issues with other 9mm autos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Looks like a headspace issue, measure the cases to be sure they're not seating too deep in the chamber. It looks like the primers are backing out a bit, that suggests headspace issues. It's hard to see from here, is there a bulge above the extraction groove?

Boolit Master

Disassemble the slide and give it a thorough cleaning. You may have something as simple as a small piece of primer metal or some other piece of junk in the firing pin channel. In my experience something like this is more than likely the trouble when a gun starts with light primer strikes all of a sudden. A q tip and a little brake cleaner is the best thing to clean that channel.

Boolit Mold
    From the looks of the first 2 you have a firing pin or firing pin hole problem. The brass on the first 2 flowed into the firing pin hole and got sheared off as the barrel moved down. A very weak striker spring might cause this but as you have changed this part I don’t suspect it. First I would completely disassamble the slide and clean the firing pin hole both the small and large diameter looking very carefully at what dirt comes out. Then try to measure the firing pin protrusion, on most guns it’s about .060.

Banned
    I repaired a 9mm smith that had a similar issue turned out to be brass shavings in the firing pin hole this may or may not be the problem.