Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer From Australia ??

When I was in Sidney, I drank Pure Platinum. As I recall it had a good looking Blonde on the label, but I did drink a lot of it, so I could be wrong.

Churchills in Maumee and Perrysburg have a good import beer selection.

BB

Boolit Grand Master
    Twenty five to thirty years ago when I made a few port visits to Australia, XXXX and Victoria Bitters were fairly good local beers. I also had a few Steinlager's from New Zealand that was pretty good.

One big point, beers imported into the US don't taste the same as they do overseas. I don't know what they do to them, but the beer tastes different. I found a Steinlager at a bar in San Diego and it was barely drinkable, quite a letdown.

After the first few they all taste the same anyway.

Robert

Boolit Master

In Australia in '79, I was told abut Fosters. We don't drink that stuff, we send it to the states. But I found Carlton and Castlemains XXXX was good.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

We don't drink Fosters down under, when I visited the US years ago, every one I visited offered me Fosters, I preferred your Millers Draught ! Most of those mentioned by Dan are good. Being an expat South Australian living in Western Australia, I would recommend Coopers.
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My neighbor is an Aussie expat who claims to be an accomplished animal trainer. He learned as a young lad how to train the young male colts and occasional wild camel to expertly urinate into the open bottle without spilling even a wee drop.

His name is Foster by the way, so indeed must be true...

Aye Coopers@!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Just buy some cheap American stuff and sharpie a kangaroo on it ! After enough of them no one will ever know or care ......
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

There is "Jungle Jims" just north of Cincinnati, OH - they have a huge selection of imported beers. Maybe worth the 3.5 hr drive from Toledo... and you can call if they have Australian beer.
    I just don't get why you don't want real beer. The stuff they brew in Germany... the brew that they use to make Bud Light (I bottle of German beer into 100 gallons of water, then bottle it...)
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Moderator Emeritus

you can read beer reviews here https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/

Boolit Master
    The AussiesI knew in Vietnam during the 60's drank blues and greens.The green was Foster bitter.They also had Castelmaine but I think most of that was sold on the black market to get rid of it.The only thing I can say about the beer they had was that it was better than the beer we had.If you wanted a real experience it was going bar crawling with Aussie GI's.They had a very high opinion of their ability to drink.They did OK.

Boolit Buddy
    I stopped drinking 10 + years ago but until then I believed we only had 2 types of beer in Australia good beer and better beer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    All of the above and remember beer is like women there are no bad ones, some are just better than others. Regards Stephen
    Must I remind you of Rosie O'Donnell.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Fosters makes an ale, green can, not blue. Pretty good stuff. Way better than their lager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder Burn View Post
    About 10 years ago was the first time I seen a can of Foster's Ale, I gave it a try. I am a home brewer and am pretty fussy, I don't care for American lagers. I was really surprised by Foster's Ale, it rivals the best made American craft brewed Pale Ale. BTW, the cans I bought in Minnesota, were labeled on the cans as brewed and bottled in Texas, per the original recipe.

For Giggles, I re-bottled one of these Texan Foster's Ale into a homebrew bottle, and brought it to a Home brew meeting. All my homebrew buddies commented that it was one of the most balanced Pale Ale's that they ever tasted...I then produced the can...that left them speechless, LOL.

So, that is my recommendation.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    it really amazes me how light beers have taken off. in my youth i drove a beer truck and can still remember light beer kits it was a bottle of beer and a bottle of water. light beer is what used to be called 3/2 beer around here that no one wanted but call it light and you have a hit. sorry can't help with aussie beer. but a quick search should help.

We has a New Zealand water professor at CSU in 1973 that drank Mickeys Wide mouth. Said it was the closest to his native beer here in the US once he got it fixed. He kept it in the trunk of his car in the summer and would pour it in a glass and whip all the carbonation out of it so it was flat.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy

Matilda Bay Redback was my favorite beer when I visited Australia a couple of times. Wish I could find some bottles around here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My neighbor is an Aussie expat who claims to be an accomplished animal trainer. He learned as a young lad how to train the young male colts and occasional wild camel to expertly urinate into the open bottle without spilling even a wee drop.

His name is Foster by the way, so indeed must be true...

Aye Coopers@!
    I can vouch for this but the camel was very sick at the time. Regards Stephen

Banned

baseball apple pie and bud!

Boolit Master
    It's Baseball, Apple Pie and Chevrolet..............anything but Bud or Miller.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    When I got started on Foster's (blue or green), it came in a steel oil can and most certainly was imported - not domestic/Canadian. It was pretty good. Other than that, which is no longer available, would have to second the Redback suggestion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast