Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys carry spare rounds for hunting/shooting

Boolit Master

One in the rifle and five in my pocket.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    This fall, I carried my binos in a Marsupial's Harness

On the right and left sides, it has small pockets that are perfect for 5 .38-55 or .38-72 cartridges.

Also great for carrying binoculars as well.
    https://www.marsupialgear.com/produc...nt=32343823244

YMMV

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    A factor some might forget, in winter and very cold weather having the ability to keep the cartridges somewhat warm is a consideration. Although, Hodgdon's line of Extreme powders does help with pressure fluctuations. Keeping 4 or 5 shells quietly in a warm pocket is always a good strategy.

Boolit Master
    MOA, Blackpowder doesn't care about temperature.

Boolit Master

Don't need no spare rounds! Nah, I just throw them in my pocket.

My daddy says you only need two rounds when you go deer hunting. One to shoot the deer with and one to signal for help. Since you really need three to signal help I will put four in the mag and one in the pipe, just to have a spare. If I am going on an all day hunt I might put a few extra rounds in a backpack with some food, a dry pair of socks, some toilet paper and a lighter. All of which might come in handy at some time.

Seriously, if it takes more than 5 shots to get your deer or other large game you need to spend some more time at the range.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I tended to carry more rounds than some, but that's because I've heard some real horror stories about people meeting meth cook lab crews out in the boonies; If that happens to you and you're down to 3 rounds, and those guys decide to kill you to prevent having to move their cook site, that would be a BAD day for you. Unlikely? Sure. Worth carrying another 5-10 rounds or so? You decide for yourself.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    That is sooooo true BrentD. Although, any thought as to where one could find out what kind of studies have been done to see if there really is no effect of temperature on black powder pressure during hot or very cold temps.

And although I use both black and smokeless always keeping a thought on what your cartridges are made of it is a factor that can get lost in the busy activities of a hunt.

Some of my activities toward my custom hand made wooden block carriers.

Last edited by MOA; 12-04-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Boolit Mold
    When I am hunting I use one of the elastic shell carriers designed to slip over the buttstock but will wear it on my left forearm, I'm right handed. Makes it easy to reach for a quick follow up shot. Also makes it easy to grab another round to top off the magazine on a repeater.

Todd

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for all the replies guys, some good advice! And some stuff I would have never thought about. Still really liking a couple extra in the winter hat. If I’m going to run into the meth lab, hopefully I’m carrying the 6.5 creed with the nightforce. hopefully they won’t see that coming from 900 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    MOA, nice block carriers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Italia1825. I was in need of a project. Took me about a week or so to get it done. Took longer for Amazon to get me the Hunter leather carrier than to get the project finished. Sometimes working in a cabinet shop has its advantages. lol

Boolit Grand Master
    With a loaded rifle, I usually drop a couple loose in my pocket. In my pack, I usually have at least a half dozen or more vacuum sealed with my kitchen meat vacuum sealer for those "just in case" events. If I where to get lost / hurt / etc. I have a small CLEAN AND DRY cache to make me feel better. Having never used the cache, I just keep reusing the sealed package all season.

Boolit Master
    I love the vacuum seal idea!

Boolit Master
    For years, I used a (Federal, I think) red plastic belt slide out of one of their ammo boxes that I found some where. 5 Rounds, no problems. Never used more than what was in my rifle magazine, anyway.

Boolit Master

I'm trying a cheap butt sleeve out this year. I like it because I can keep the rifle and ammo right together for storage and transport. I just have a short clear walk to the stand. If I was knocking through the woods, I'd be sure to get one with a flap as I don't trust the loops to hold onto a shell when clambering through brush etc.

Boolit Bub
    I realize that this is caliber specific, but quite a few folks use a single shot 30/30. A Moisin Nagant stripper clip will hold 6 30/30 rounds that you could keep in a jacket pocket. Easy access. Would work for an extra reload for a model 94 or a 336 either one, as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the elastic shell holder on slings and or a zip lock bag in my back pack
    rrh

Boolit Master
    Half a card board box covered in Yellow duct tape has given me more ammo than I have ever needed. carry in pants pocket shirt/jacket pocket or in a smallback pack that has snacks.water scout water and anything else that I think I may want while hunting.

Boolit Master

5 in my rifle and 6 in my revolver while hunting deer. If im hunting small game just 1 box of shotgun shells in my game jacket. If im using my 22 for tree rats just a tub full of ammo in my Marlin 60. Now range trips that is a different story lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast