Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you guys carry spare rounds for hunting/shooting

I have some MTM hinge top plastic belt carriers that hold 20 for my '06, 30-30, 303 Sav, and 35 Rem....but for my 45-70 I use a Chinese leather ammo pouch that I got from a Mil-Surp place. It holds 10 extra rounds above the 5 my rifle holds...its enough.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

I use this on my outside belt

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/37...-leather-brown

My outside belt has pistol, knife, parachute cord (green), ammo slide, and large metal safety pins.

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Whether I'm hunting with a repeater, or a single shot rifle, I always use the same Uncle Mike's butt cuff. Black nylon elastic that holds 6 or 9 rounds, and fits almost every rifle caliber I own. I move it to whatever gun I'm using, and put the cartridge loops on the off side from my cheek.
    They're dirt cheap, and a 2nd cartridge is right where I want it if I need to grab any quickly. They make them with open loops, or a flap that can be closed over the cartridges.

https://www.unclemikes.com/bags-case...-shell-holders

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    25 yr ago I was given my grandfather's Hunters cartridge wallet like on page 2 that MOA fitted . It had an old Winchester paper box inner pack with the paper divider in it . Took me 10 seasons to shoot the 20 rounds of 06' . Empties and unloads back in the box . No rattle , no jingle .
    I used the FC box separators/belt carriers for many years also . They were ideal for x57 , 308 and 410 . A little short for 06' .

So the Hunter's box for rifles .

I have an N frame in 45 ACP and S&W a couple of moon clips of 6 shots in a shirt/vest/or jacket pocket has done fine for 3 seasons . The actual S&W cases are saved for the range . On long walks I took a day pack with a half box of whatever . I carried a 45 Colts or 357 for several years , 6 in the gun 18 in the box .
    Short walks just the wallet and a few extra in a pocket .

I did carry an XD40 one season ...... So if you have a 10mm just an extra mag or 2 maybe even on the holster .

A few years ago you still get the 6 round double pouch "cop belt" cases for 38/357 or 44 mag , a hold over from the revolver days . I had them when I worked armed security in the mid 90s for 38/357 .

I've seen wrist band shell carriers for 6-8 rounds .
    There's always the Ponco Via bandoleer .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Super Moderator

..............VERY low tech. You can simply cut out the rear pockets of some old blue jeans, and with the aid of a large safety pin you have a "Stick Anywhere" extra pocket.

This one was 'Re-purposed' into a twin mag pouch for my Ruger MkII 22 pistol.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Buckshot, you are totally original!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a pill bottle. I get 5 .308's in and they are snug enough not to rattle around. I have never needed to use them but nice to know they are there.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    What's a .308 and how many 3.5" .45-70s fit in a pill bottle?

The same way I been doing it for 66 years. I put then in my pants pocket, shirt pocket or jacket pocket.

Banned
    Yeah I am with lead pot on that I carry 5 rounds in my pocket been doing it about 50 plus years too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1876 Butt Cover.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	236372

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Nice Veeman.

What Caliber is your 1885

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Ed View Post
    What Caliber is your 1885
    If your asking me, it's a 1876, and 45/75.

Boolit Master
    7 on stock .223 encore, never needed 2nd shot though.

Boolit Master
    seeing as I am allowed one deer and am not fighting a war. I load the Winchester 94 and leave the rest in the truck or at the house. if I miss 10 times I should have to walk back to the house to get more shells.

Boolit Master
    I have an all leather ammo pouch dated 1888 and made in Germany. Probably for the 43 mauser but the individual pockets are in excellent shape and the outside looks like its a few years old. There are brass buttons on either side so you lift both flaps on each side and the case opens back to front. Holds 20 rounds but I don't put cartridges on the top and lower level on each end. Has two heavy leather straps that a leather strap can slide through. I've tried it with 45/70 ammo and ot fits like it was made for that cartridge. About 1/3 bigger than the ones you see the calvary soldiersAnd color is mostly brown. Frank

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123