WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: HELP!! Stevens 110E series K 30-06 scope mounting help???

USMC 77, USRA 79

HELP!! Stevens 110E series K 30-06 scope mounting help???

My Son, bless him, brought me is new to him Stevens (savage) model 110E in 30-06 and wanted me to build a load, make boolits, and help him get it all lined out for shooting cast. It was in ruff shape. Pain in the butt really. Gun haven’t been cleaned for about 40 years, and the barrel was basically fuzzy looking, outside of the gun was a bit rusty but functioning. Stock was serviceable. Got it cleaned up as much as possible, slapped a weaver rail in place and mounted his inexpensive scope, and took it to the range to sight in. Grouping ok, but not enough vertical adjustment... still shot 10 inches low. Took the rings off, slipped on rings from another rifle, still too low.. took some rings off another rifle that were see thru as well and my Leopold scope, dang if they were also out of vertical adjustment. Shims wouldn’t give me enough vertical lift. Started looking and realized the entire top of the receiver is sloped down towards the barrel nut. Now what?

Anybody else have one of these vintage savage/stevens 110e’s and solved this problem? Gun is from the late 60’s best I can determine. I need to figure out how to get it scoped for my son...

Thanks all
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Taking a guess here, but is you front receiver ring round and the rear receiver ring is flat/flattened on top? Maybe you have the wrong base on it.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    I have in the past made shims to put between the base and the receiver from pop cans. I don't think I would do that with enough shims to make yours hit center though, I would be afraid of the rings being so misaligned the scope tube would be kinked by the rings.

A better way might be to get a set of Burris (I think) posi-line rings with the offset inserts.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Taking a guess here, but is you front receiver ring round and the rear receiver ring is flat/flattened on top? Maybe you have the wrong base on it.
    This^^^^the older Savages were this way. Two piece Weaver or Redfield Jr one piece were usually chosen.

A chart that might help figure out just how much up/down movement you need on the rings or bases.

[IMG][/IMG]

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had one drilled out of line with the bore once .
    So this is tedious .
    Make sure you have the right 2 piece base ......you said the mount is visably tipped toward the barrel nut ? Umm that should be raising the POI .
    So I paper shimed the mounts the rings on one side until I got close . Then I lapped the points off the outside of mount until I was close enough to make it work . Mine was a 65' . I would paper shim the rear ring at the mount to raise the POI .
    The old Weaver while being a very tough reliable scope may not have enough elevation to get to the rifle without a little help from the mounts . Depending on your parts source there may be wrong parts in the package .
    The mount to action fit may also be lapped to fit better . With this and paired mounts you should be able to get 40+ MOA without scope damage .

On a 1 piece lap the front down . Add a shim to the rear , start with cheap feeler gauges , steel on steel . If needed the Weaver type maybe lapped to lower the front ring .

Filed away under KISS in "I can't believe I actually fell in this hole ......again" turn the Weaver around backwards in the rings and use bore site witness marks . Is the scope actually pointed where you think it is ? Believe me turned around it is obvious quick when it isn't .
    Are the turrets actually going the direction you think they are ?
    Plus doesn't always mean up it may actually indicate the retical movement not the impact movement . Now your frustrated and you turned around and did the same thing to your known good scope ...... Don't ask just know it's happened .
    Make sure the there aren't any dings or lumps on the rings and that they are actually flat on the action . Yep I've had an action thread burr , drill bulges on the mounts and finish defects do all sorts of things to the set up .

While seemingly unrelated how's the stock fit . I've had things take a walk with the screws being not uniform .

I fought that 65' 110 LH to a finish and sent an E on it's way because I just couldn't get it . I'm smarter ......or at least have more experience now .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

USMC 77, USRA 79

Awesome folks.. thanks for the help... I really liked that chart... it will take weeks to get delivery on the rings. But I will get the ball rolling.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Did you ever get it figured out?

Banned
    wrong rings and base