Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 point blank hits with 44 mag/300 grain...

15 point blank hits with 44 mag/300 grain...

Last edited by ShooterAZ; 12-03-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
    This is why I'm glad bears are exceedingly rare in my area, and grizzlies are non-existent. 15 shots of 44 mag? Geez... I have never felt that my 629 was underpowered for anything, but think I will buy a 460 S&W or a 500 mag if I ever go up North to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

****. Glad they made out alive. Thats a lot of shots from a 44 Mag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I read on this very website that 9mm's are good for killing grizzly bears. I guess a 44 magnum is not the best caliber for large bears.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Heck of a story, glad they made it out alive. Sticking together pulled them through it.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I read on this very website that 9mm's are good for killing grizzly bears. I guess a 44 magnum is not the best caliber for large bears.
    And they were the 305 gr Buffalo Bore rounds. Over 1000 ft-lbs.
    Don Verna

I'm guessing that this animal was "running on empty" due to adrenalin. Also, what the heck is up with the 3 shots? Anyone in the North country knows that this is a come-to-dinner call for bears. We were always taught that 3 shots was a distress signal.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    A friend of mine barely escaped being bear chow. He was hunting moose alone in Alaska. He had a good sized bull and was gutting it when he heard crashing in the brush. he looked up and saw a Griz charging full tilt at him. My friend pulled out his 50 AE and started squezing off shots at it. The bear was limping when it reached the moose, reared up as was preparing to "swat my frind with his good leg as my friend emptied the last 3 shots dead center. The bear finally droped across the moose and nearly landed on him.

That 50 AE is a hand cannon and it took a whole magazine to drop the bear.

Moderator Emeritus

The three shots is dependant on area. These men were probably Tribal members if hunting N of Browning as that is there Reservation all the way to Canada. That's why the Tribal Game Wardens would come get their game. Adreneline make things act funny. No mention of where the bear was hit, obviously no broken bones in back or shoulders. The magazine is a Rural Coop publication.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Maybe lack of penetration? And if the bullet hit a bone would it have enough energy break it? Just wondering.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Master

Glad they made it. An autopsy of the bear would be interesting.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    One of our members harvested a brown bear with one shot from a 41 mag pistol last year. It's a great story and I'm glad everyone was alright but I would also like to see the bear skinned and count the holes that aren't in it and how many went through the legs and non vital areas. I'm sure there was a lot of adrenaline flowing along with poor shots...and I can't blame them...but 14 shots all in the vitals and it's still alive and kicking. Sounds like me and a raccoon that was in my backyard using a 600 fps 22cal air pistol that wouldn't penatrate it's skull last year. You always hear about bullets bouncing off skulls. I'm sure it might skim off at an extreme angle like an expandable broad head like on an extreme quartering shot on a deer but I'm sure point blank flat against the skull would crack and penatrate a skull. If not you would think the Kenetic energy would knock the bear out with a massive concussion.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-03-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Big enough heavy enough bullet that it should have had enough penetration, maybe that Griz was just having a bad day and was in a FOUL mood. Glad they survived!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    One of our members harvested a brown bear with one shot from a 41 mag pistol last year. It's a great story and I'm glad everyone was alright but I would also like to see the bear skinned and count the holes that aren't in it and how many went through the legs and non vital areas. I'm sure there was a lot of adrenaline flowing along with poor shots...and I can't blame them...but 14 shots all in the vitals and it's still alive and kicking. Sounds like me and a raccoon that was in my backyard using a 600 fps 22cal air pistol that wouldn't penatrate it's skull last year. You always hear about bullets bouncing off skulls. I'm sure it might skim off at an extreme angle like an expandable broad head like on an extreme quartering shot on a deer but I'm sure point blank flat against the skull would crack and penatrate a skull. If not you would think the Kenetic energy would knock the bear out with a massive concussion.
    I've had a rat that took 5 (you read that right, 5), rounds of 32 acp to the head before it would finally die. All were good shots, and all should have been instantly fatal. There was very little head left by the time it was done.

Also had an Armadillo that wasn't really bothered by that same 32 acp and wondered off. I killed it a week later when it showed up again and I happened to be carrying a 44 mag.

Had a rabid coon that took a couple rounds of .22 hornet without any reaction whatsoever. It took a head shot to finally kill it.

Never underestimate an animal's willingness to live, and **** sure don't use a 32 acp for anything bigger than a mouse...

Boolit Grand Master

May have fired that many at the bear but I am thinking not all of them hit it. Understandable considering the circumstances
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Vendor Sponsor

They just bearly made it...
    All kidding aside bears are unpredictable and no joke to go up against
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

Kinda dispels the notion that Buffalo Bore makes the hardest hitting best Handgun ammo around.

Or else those 2 guys are the worst shots in the world.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Meth Bear ��

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I've had a rat that took 5 (you read that right, 5), rounds of 32 acp to the head before it would finally die. All were good shots, and all should have been instantly fatal. There was very little head left by the time it was done.

Also had an Armadillo that wasn't really bothered by that same 32 acp and wondered off. I killed it a week later when it showed up again and I happened to be carrying a 44 mag.

Had a rabid coon that took a couple rounds of .22 hornet without any reaction whatsoever. It took a head shot to finally kill it.

Never underestimate an animal's willingness to live, and **** sure don't use a 32 acp for anything bigger than a mouse...

They are called mouse guns for a reason
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast