RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about boolits this year

I learned that:
    1) Pat Marlin's CFF is awesome flux that really makes casting more enjoyable.
    2) You should phrase "What should I shoot at the competition" as "What should I shoot IN the competition"
    3) Chronoing your boolits when testing tells you quite a bit about your load/etc.
    4) Powder coat is great for big bore and pistol rounds. Also it can be applied at lower temps than advertised, but not too low. Seems like 300 degrees is best for lead hardness and still good for PC cure.

Boolit Master
    I learned about Hi-Tek coating. There was a learning curve,my WW-based alloy has contaminants.

Coating got me back to casting after a break, especially for big bore rifles.

Attachment 231436

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I learned about Hi-Tek coating. There was a learning curve,my WW-based alloy has contaminants.

Coating got me back to casting after a break, especially for big bore rifles.

Attachment 231436
    What are the boolits that are 3rd and 4th from the left?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    My learning hasn't been what some have gained .
    I have proofed twist , RPM T , whatever it's called , is a thing with 5 rifles in 2 cartridges , 1 caliber , and 3 twists . At least it's proofed to me .
    I've learned that I should have just stayed with the 458193 for the 45-70 because the other 4 moulds haven't advanced it or improved upon that bullet at all and are far more picky about loads .
    I learned that Minies will shoot in twists far slower than they should .
    I learned that it's a lot more fun to just load and shoot loads that are good enough for what you're doing than it is to agonize over getting that last little bit of whatever out of every single load .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I’ve learned that I no longer need to be a He-Man and shoot full weenie loads at paper and steel targets. I’m much more accurate with standard loads and that most of my loads are more accurate than I am. Evidently the wing nut yanking the trigger is the weak link in my setup!

Boolit Master
    I have been thinking on this since you posted the topic & I can't pick just one thing that was the "most memorable". I spend a lot of time reading on CB.GL forums & in particular in the archives.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...x.php/f-8.html

So, I have covered a lot of ground in a lot of subjects since I joined. Hard to choose just one, even in just the last year.

One topic I have spent more time on, than many others is the use of, "fillers" in cartridges. But, I cannot say what I am learning is "most" memorable.

If I do think of one subject in particular that pops into my head, I will come back & share it though.

Interesting topic, and glad that ya posted it. I enjoy reading what others might share as their most memorable subjects. Might even send me down another rabbit hole in search of more info.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Lead is liquid, soft, medium, hard, very hard, wet, dry, warm, hot, scalding, scary and fanciful if dunked in the pot when wet, active when loaded, very active when shot, deadly if received in its "very active" state on purpose, poisonous, safe to handle, and inert when just lying there. Its potential energy is zero at one instant and thousands of foot-pounds in another. These are just SOME of the mysteries of boolits.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I learned I like NOE moulds way too much...and they are habit forming...crack habit type addiction !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I learned that starting to cast and load for a second caliber is not nearly as hard as the first one was. The third was even easier. And the third was for a rifle!

I found the beauty of old Lyman/Ideal molds.

Discovered the 310 tool with the help of a couple guys on this here forum, one of which I found out was married to someone I went to high school with.

I learned that single stage presses are just as fun as progressives.

Bought my first gas check making tool and found my homemade checks to be every bit as effective as purchased ones.

Discovered that teaching casting to someone while taking patience and time, is rewarding and worth it.

Bought a cpl things off the site this year. Very good transactions so,reconfirming that there are great folks on here willing to share and help out.

I have learned to use steel shot as an oxygen barrier when casting. I use a fine sieve to separate graphite and any metal oxides from the shot at the end of each casting session. Either old lubed bullets or candle wax to flux when I refil the pot protected with the shot.

Boolit Master
    i have learned a lot of things about casting this year,most from the great people on this sight that always seem willing to help if you ask and a lot from reading stickies on here,coww is my favorite lead for plinking,softer lead for hunting and smokes powder cant be beat

I’ve learned,
    Again how great the members of this site are!
    9mm is miserable when trying to load for several guns.
    The NOE sizing die setup is worth its weight in gold!
    I need to buy another .357mag because I’ve got molds, dies, sizers for it and sold the gun!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Buddy
    20 gauge round ball loading. There is lots of things that I pick up on, it’s a continuous learning with pitfalls avoided by everyone graciously sharing knowledge. Thank you everyone.

and the green dot next to user name mean the person is online (learned that today)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post
    most 9mm arms...aren’t
    WheelgunConvert and a couple of others beat me to it. And I thought their bores were supposed to be .355. Beretta tells me that their max. groove spec. is 9.1mm, or 0.3582677 in. according to the Google conversion calculator. who woulda thunk it?
    Last edited by higgins; 12-05-2018 at 12:43 AM. Reason: correct max groove spec to 9.1mm

Boolit Master

Learned I should have started powder coating a long time ago.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I discovered Big Toms 3D printed primer catchers here.
    I bought one . They are one of the greatest ideas since sliced bread.
    No more spent primers on the loading room floor.
    They just go into a clean used milk jug....dale

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    What are the boolits that are 3rd and 4th from the left?
    They are Lyman 311679's.

Boolit Master

I have learned to further hate casting and loading for 9mm's after again adding another to the stable. I am learning to like PC boolits, but the variance in thickness of coatings between colors is something I am starting to take advantage of or at least not get screwed by. I started loading and casting for 32 ACP this year, that has been a bit of a learning curve. The Kel-tec P32 is easy to load for, other than the tiny charges. The CZ70 is a PITA, with no lead into the rifling. But, a modified Lee mould was the ticket for that. Finally, I have accepted that I love to cast and reload to much as I looked around the reloading room the other day. I am truly ready for the zombie's to invade!

Love y'all and it has been another good year here!

Boolit Master
    Ive learned with cast boolits that 1/1000th of an inch, ie., .430 to .431, can cause a measurable increase in velocity with the same exact powder charge. And learned that a chronograph is a necessity and not just a luxury.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast