Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about boolits this year

Moderator Emeritus

What have you learned about boolits this year

We are nearing the end of 2018.
    Some of us come to this website everyday, some less often but still quite regularly...anyway, What is the most memorable boolit-related hint-tip-trick that you learned this year?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I've learned a lot, I think.
    N.O.E. & ACCURATE both make GREAT molds and have GREAT Customer Service.
    I've learned wood shavings/sawdust can cut down on oxidation.
    I've learned that not all aluminum molds are crappy. Just lube them right and cast/close gently.
    You can't cast as fast as iron/steel ( frosted bullets ) but you can cast from aluminum and produce good bullets.
    I've learned to pay better attention when reassembling a mold sprue plate, SO YOU DON'T PUT WASHERS UNDER THE SPRUE PLATE, THAT BELONG ON TOP. SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO THE EXPENSE OF RETURNING IT TO THE MANUFACTURER FOR REPAIR, WASTING BOTH YOUR MONEY AND HIS VALUABLE TIME.
    That after 60 years when you take a 10 year break, you can forget a GREAT deal of the small basic tricks that you spent 50 years learning. And have to stumble forward to learn again.

And finally I've learned about Powder Coating. Which I've yet to do, have Toaster Convection Oven, bullets, LEE sizer dies and am waiting for My order of Powder & black BB's from Smoke.

I've learned a lot this year.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I learned that, if you care at all about your friends, you won't let them start their casting careers with AR15's and 9mm's.

I enjoyed the journey. But I'm somewhat of a masochist, I guess. Had a few gawdawful, painful weeks in there.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The NOE .310/.313 neck sizer and the Redding
    taper crimp die are the perfect solution to loading
    boolits in 6 different and fussy 30-30's.

Boolit Master
    I learned that MiHec 8 cavity molds can knock out a lot of quality bullets very quickly. I picked up 2 of them this year and they have been nice additions to my mold collection. Great for 9mm rounds that seem to devour bullets very quickly.

I learned the my 45 Colt likes large cast lubbed black powder rounds. Or I do.

That cast iron molds are fantastic.

That a bad barrel will lead no matter what you put through it.

And that I sitll want to spend more money on equipment that I don't need but want to have.

BT sniper I'm looking at you for your BT simple 22 swaging dies. Drool.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

I learned that the Lee TL314-90 is a fantastic mold for VERY accurate plinking/small game loads in any 30-31 caliber rifle. I have cast, loaded and shot thousands of them over the course of this past year. Miles of Smiles with that one. I've also learned that LVR powder is a real winner in the 30-30 Winchester with the 311041 boolit. I learned to avoid high tin content alloys when casting with my brass molds. I learned how to paper patch cast boolits. I learned how to "master" casting and loading for my Mosin Nagant rifle, long story on that one. I also learned that N110 is a great powder in my M1 Carbine with cast boolits.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 12-02-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Have read for some time about powder coating and learned from the experiences of others … and got into PC myself. Unless something unforeseen comes up, I'm done with traditional lubing. However, I do still like and use my Stars but the handles are a little short for high BHN lead alloys. Big Boomer P. S. Also learned with PC I can mix 50/50 WW/Stick-On with a little tin and it doesn't make any difference at the target.

Boolit Master
    I've learned that finger lubing my 30 cal boolits with any hard lube or semi hard lube, while a PITA, and after sizing them and putting on a g/c, tumbling them in JPW and allowing them to dry for a day or two will NOT allow leading in my barrels.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy

most 9mm arms...aren’t
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've learned that leaving retirement and joining the work force again really messes with my shooting time .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I learned that tumbling commercial hard cast bullets with BLL makes them more palatable in my pistols and that Smokes PC powder works great. Also it does not take much time to reach the NOE $1000 club.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Cast boolits in the 9mm Luger can be successfully accomplished if you spend enough time , money and use enough curse words. The 9mm tends to throw all kinds of curves at you like new guns with little or no throat , bore diameters all over the map. As cast boolit diameters all over the map . The tapered case doesn't like carbide sizers and minimum starting charges usually will not cycle the action.
    OAL's that must be worked out for every pistol loaded for...no two being the same.
    The 9mm Luger is a Stinker !
    But with enough time and effort it can be all worked out....

The most important thing I've learned is a WWII era Walther P38 is the easiest 9mm Luger auto pistol to reload for...any boolit shape , any reasonable OAL & it will feed.
    Load enough powder under any boolit and it will feed, fire and cycle like a champ....not one hang up !
    And it's just as accurate as any modern plastic wonder nine .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    That 85 grain bullets disappear quickly when loaded in 30 M-1 cases.
    That the .327 cartridge is wonderful.
    That old bones don't like big recoil, and "big" gets smaller every year...
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Ain't that the truth! I'm enjoying shooting low recoil fire forming loads more and more.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I learned that loading Magtech 158 LRN .38 Special boolits BACKWARDS as a flush-seated, cup based wadcutter, at 1.150" OAL with ONE GRAIN of Bullseye, Titegroup, WST or 452AA makes a "silent without supressor" aka "Cat Sneeze" load for .38/.357 rifles which when from a 24" Cowboy rifle is no louder than an air rifle, and from a revolver can be shot without ear protection, being no louder than a cap pistol. Just the ticket for garden varmints or backyard practice without disturbing the neighbors!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have learned to be humble....
    Don Verna

I learned that the 8x57 Mauser is a cast boolit natural and the 9mm Luger and .300 BO are not.(for me)
    The 38-55 is awesome as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

What have you learned about boolits this year

I continue to learn that this cost saving hobby, costs a lot.

More than sharing my learnings though I would like to share my gratitude for all that I have learned. This is a fantastic community which constantly teaches me new things and I can’t express how much I appreciate it,... despite the expense of all these group buys I keep getting suckered into.

In a pinch learning though, if you are in need of alternative powder containers: baby formula containers (powder or liquid) are made from the same plastic as manufacturers containers and are readily available from your closest friend/family/neighbor with a newborn.

I have learned a lot about boolit alloy, fit, and matching pressure to alloy bhn. High speed (2300-2600fps) is doable with acceptable accuracy in a faster(1-10) twist if done correctly.
    For me, powder coat is more useful in handgun rounds and not rifles.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast