Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need to melt wheel weights into ingots: Turkey fryers, etc.

Boolit Buddy

Need to melt wheel weights into ingots: Turkey fryers, etc.

I have five 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights I need to melt into ingots. I am looking at turkey fryers, hoping they are on sale, being just after Thanksgiving.

What brand(s) do you recommend with regards to functionality and price?

Realistically, I don't need all the other junk that come with it. All I need is a stand to support a cast iron melting pot and a means to hook up to a propane tank with burner underneath. Possible source(s) for that?

I use this on mixing large batches of alloy. The burner is the best I have seen and used. https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...7397243&ipos=2

Moderator Emeritus

I'd look for a used one...maybe your local Craigslist?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Regardless of brand you want one w/ a high pressure, red, regulator. The rest is simply design and strength. I already had a Bayou Classic so that’s what I use.

Boolit Grand Master

Watch the stands as some of the cheap ones are pretty light duty. Several things to consider here are 1) what size pot are you planning on? A burner that does well with a 30-50 lb pot may take a lot longer with a 200lb pot. 2) the size of the pot also determines the strength the stand needs. Again a 30-50 lb pot doesn't require what a 200lb pot does. The heat range your operating at also tends to get close to the range to start weakening the stands. 3) stability of the set up is important to look for a wide 3 legged base with solid feet. If working on a soft surface consider a layer of footer blocks to set it on.

A very nice large batch melter can be made up easily. Some 1/4 X 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 angle iron for the frame 1/4 X 1" for the grate and to tie the feet together. a heavy pot in the 12-16 quart range. And a inexpensive weed burner. 3 legs angled out 4"-6" larger dia than the pot. Top ringed with angle and 1/4 X 1 on edge every 2" across the top for the grate. feet tied together with 1/4X1. modify the weed burner with a 90* bend and feet so it stands upright. With the right weed burner and pot 200 + lbs of material can be molten in 30 mins safely. Long handled slotted spoon a lomng handled solid spoon and long handled spatula for skimming and fluxing. A large ladle for pouring ingots.

Boolit Master

Just for reference, a quart of lead weighs almost 24 pounds so 5 quarts is about 120 pounds plus the weight of the vessel in which it's melted. The strength of the stand is more important than BTUs as long as it's hot enough to get the job done.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

A BIG double re warnings posted re weight. A fairly local couple, two years ago, were using a turkey fryer to melt lead when -- I do not know the exact details -- other than it spilled over as a leg went out -- and the lady sustained quite severe burns to both of her legs, from the knee down. She required air-lift to a hospital with severe burn care, and had quite the recovery battle. I understand she's now back home, but not yet back to work.
    PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!!

Boolit Master
    This is what I use. Sorry, but I purchased this one years ago and I don't remember the brand, but it is all steel frame with cast iron burner. It has melted several thousand pounds of range scrap over the years. The pot is an old propane tank with the top cut off and a metal skirt attached 3/4" away from the tank to hold in the heat. The pot will melt 200+ pound of ingots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2104.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	231439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_2102.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	231440

Boolit Master
    This is the 50K BTU Bayou Classic about $50 with a cut down propane tank for a pot. Similar to Dragonheart's but the windscreen is separate and press fits on the burner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boolits3.jpg   Alloy03.jpg   windgrd01.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I have the Bayou Classic double jet burner. A banjo burner might work as well, but I got this specific model on recommendation because it has the beefiest frame I've seen so far:

https://www.bayouclassicshop.com/col...=2051346235415

Ten percent off for cyber week. Still not a bargain price, but I like how well built mine is. It has held a propane tank pot with over #250 of lead without any issues.
    Last edited by kevin c; 12-06-2018 at 02:42 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Cheapo stainless steel pot from WalMart and a Coleman stove. Couple of pounds at a time
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I use a burner identical to the one from Menards only it was sold by BassPro as a fish boiler for $29.95. I came with three short extensions for the feet. I bolted the feet to a 26 inch dia piece of one inch plywood I had in the shop from some other project. I then screwed some 24 inch flashing most of the way around the plywood as a wind shield. A cut off propane tank from Davy Crockett here on the forum holds the lead. A bonus was the 13.5 x 5 in. Aluminum pot that came with it to boil the fish in. Works perfect for scalding tomatoes before I skin and can them. The pot even has a nice fitted cover and a thermometer.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Grand Master
    A 50,000 BTU burner hose and regulator, with a sturdy stand. If you aren't comfortable standing on the (unlit) burner stand, it isn't stout enough.

Check local want ads, or craigslist for cheap options this time of year.

If you can weld, the stand is easy enough to modify. It also helps when you decide you need more angle iron ingot molds.

Robert