RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Scored another NEF Huntsman

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Scored another NEF Huntsman

Went to the fun store yesterday. I saw some wood amongst the black and camo plastic on the muzzleloader shelf so I had to check it out. Turned out to be an NEF Huntsman in awesome condition other than a big scratch on the receiver. Came with a handful of primer carriers, the always missing breech plug wrench, and best of all, no Pyrodex induced cancer. $95.00 out the door so it came home!

This is my second Huntsman, got one just like it a few years ago. My first one shoots the Lee REAL boolit quite well, hope this one does too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Home run! Good for you! Enjoy it!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    Sometimes you just hurt our feelings with deals like that. Did you give the guy a kiss?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Sometimes you just hurt our feelings with deals like that. Did you give the guy a kiss?
    No (his wife was standing there).
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 12-03-2018 at 04:09 PM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

what kind of primer carriers you talking about I have an older one that does,nt need them just caps

I once snagged one in .45cal, for my oldest Grandson's 1st deer gun, replacing the #11 nipple with an adaptor that fit the issue nipple hole in the breechplug, to allow the use of 209 primers.

It shot Remington sabot ammo (.357" slugs) pretty good out to about 75 yards. (He's taken a couple of deer with it)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I once snagged one in .45cal, for my oldest Grandson's 1st deer gun, replacing the #11 nipple with an adaptor that fit the issue nipple hole in the breechplug, to allow the use of 209 primers.

It shot Remington sabot ammo (.357" slugs) pretty good out to about 75 yards. (He's taken a couple of deer with it)

Ive been wanting that very caliber and 209 primer conversion combination in a huntsman for quite some time. Sure wish I could fine one for $95 like the OP did. Nice score!

The original H&R Huntsman was percussion and (as far as I know) could not accept centerfire barrels. The rifles I have were made under the NEF brand and use a shotgun frame, they can accept centerfire shotgun barrels. They were never made for percussion ignition and use 209 primers in a plastic disc roughly the size of the base of a 12 gauge shell. A firm called Metric Innovations in Michigan makes a breech plug which does not require the discs, I have one for my first rifle and will eventually get one for this rifle.

Boolit Bub
    i have a h&r huntsman in 12 gauge BP shotgun it has the telescoping ramrod and i have killed quite bit of squirrels with it, it uses 209 primers no carriers it has the push in breech plug!

Boolit Grand Master
    All three of my Huntsman guns (2x 58's and a 12ga) use percussion caps as far as I know. I did replace with musket cap nipples though.

I guess you could say I have a second generation Huntsman. From what I can tell, they were only made in .50 caliber and never as a muzzleloading shotgun.

LGS has a VG one (early) .58 call for $200. It looks brand new and uses reg caps. Is it $100 too much?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

$200.00 sounds like a reasonable price, as these rifles have been out of production for decades and have a cult following. Especially if it is not suffering from Pyrodex cancer!