Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ruger percision

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    might be possible if your talking live weight but everyone I know states the weight of there deer as field dressed. Must be a REAL bugger to get a 325lb deer out of the woods without gutting it. I don't know anyone that doesn't field dress a deer in the woods but I guess maybe some do. I can say we had one air force GI at our camp that shot a 4 pointer and drug it back to camp with the guts in it. We got a good chuckle out of it. We asked him if he knew how and he said absolutely. So we drug it out behind camp and watched him puke twice while he did it. By then we were rolling on the ground.
    This is the first time I've seen it in print why I don't hunt. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one that doesn't enjoy blood and guts.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    When I was 14 years old, one of my dad's city slicker friends came up to the Luther Michigan area and shot a deer. He wanted me help him dress the deer up in our barn and offered 10 dollars to do the job. I thought he was just a novice and did not know how to gut a deer.......help a guy out sort of thing. We got the deer hoisted up in the barn and put a bag under the deer to catch everything. I put the knife in and some intestinal air came out in a slow drain. I looked over and he almost puked. At that point I realized that he had no problem field dressng, he just could not handle the idea of blood and guts period. Sooooooo......I may or may not have punctured the stomach on "accident" just to get a pile of puke out of the guy. It worked....there was chuck all over my otherwise clean garage floor. I learned a valuable lesson from that at the ripe young age of 14. Here is a guy who had no problem snatching the life out of another living thing, but did not have the dexterity to take care of his animal. These *** folks should not be in the woods at all. We call these folks "perverts'. Perverted minds they have.

Did he take the deer home and eat it?
    If so, he is no different than millions of other folks around the world. They can't stand the butcher's job but they can relish the results.
    I wouldn't call him a pervert. I might call him weak minded about some things though.
    I used to know a couple of men who would fight like wildcats until the fight was over. Then they would look at the blood on their hands and pass out right there, but not during the fight.

Boolit Master
    I thought about calling him week minded, but I think the dictionary version is much more fitting: Pervert: alter (something) from its original course, meaning, or state to a distortion or corruption of what was first intended.

I think shooting animals is an honor. I am thankful for the meat. To me, the hunt in an avenue of providing for my family. I agree with your assessment of the millions who cannot process or take care of their own handiwork. Most of the city slickers come up north from Detriot and Grand Rapids and treat our waitresses, townspeople and bartenders with the same degree of contempt.

Boolit Master
    The wife still laughs over my ability to dress, hang, carve and vacuum bag like a madman. But that diaper with split pea in it makes my stomach jump out of my mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    The wife still laughs over my ability to dress, hang, carve and vacuum bag like a madman. But that diaper with split pea in it makes my stomach jump out of my mouth!
    I nearly blew my diet Coke out my nose when I read that. LOL

I grew up on a dairy with a cast iron stomach, but some of my kids diapers tested it to its limits!
    Knock a buzzard off a gut wagon bad!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have to stand up for myself now. I did most of the diaper changing around our house. Both sons are in their mid 40's now so I have also changed 3 grandchildren. Sometimes I was called upon to change guest baby's diapers too. I must admit that my own children and grandchildren didn't bother me at all. Other peoples babies took a little more self control.

Don't ask me to explain the difference. I can't.
    John
    W.TN

Paul McCartney said, 'if slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians.'

Boolit Master

i was going to make a crack about ruger and precision used in the same sentence is an oxymoron (I guess i did) if your honest that's probably the best shooting ruger rifle ive ever heard of in my entire life. any rifle that shoots 1/4 inch 5 shot group is something to cherish even if it is but ugly. Ive owned over a 100 rifles through the years and have yet to find one that would.
    probably a 3 round group.

But it is a great rifle. Mine will shoot on average .866" groups, and that's over a string of 10 or 20 shots. That's average, so sometimes it is as low as 0.5", sometimes as high as 1.2".

Not good enough for PRS, but it's a great rifle out of the box. Very, very repeatable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    probably a 3 round group.

But it is a great rifle. Mine will shoot on average .866" groups, and that's over a string of 10 or 20 shots. That's average, so sometimes it is as low as 0.5", sometimes as high as 1.2".

Not good enough for PRS, but it's a great rifle out of the box. Very, very repeatable.
    any gun that will shoot 10 shots into even 3/4s of an inch one day and go back the next and shoot 10 into the same group and not enlarge it is one exceptional rifle and they guy on the trigger is pretty talented to boot.

I just shoot 3 shot groups because all my rifles are hunting rifles. I think the Ruger precision rifle and the Ruger American Rifle are both more accurate than the Model 77 ever was. I have a few quarter inch 3 shot groups laying around, but no 5-shot or 10 shot groups anywhere near that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

My $225 Compass .308 shot a sub 1/4 inch 5 shot group. (165 gr GameKing, 44 gr of Varget, Military prepped cases)

I have several of the Compass rifles and all are MOA or better. My wife's 243 went into .85in with my first attempt at handloads and using an old Tasco 4x scope. I have no doubt that with a little work I'd be under 1/2in with it as I think a few of the others would do. Amazing value and shows just how good off the shelf rifles have become.

I bought it as a hunting rifle not a target rifle so I'm interested in what the first couple of shots from a cold barrel will do. I doubt it would shoot like that over a 10 shot group as the barrel heated up
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Bwahahahahahahaha

Boolit Grand Master

i was going to make a crack about ruger and precision used in the same sentence is an oxymoron (I guess i did)
    He said percision, not precision

Boolit Grand Master

Some years have even broken a 100 and ive yet to see a 325 lb whitetail deer.

Every year in the NorthEast where I'm from someone shoots one that goes 250lbs or better. The 280lb I mentioned was dressed and weighed in at the local station at 276lbs as we have to report our deer. I remember the weight as I was 12yrs old or so and actually guessed it in the camp pool. $50 was a ton of money to a kid. It was in the back of the guys 1/2ton short bed when he pulled into camp and I mean it was in the back. It filled the bed. 200lbs are common. Buddy just shot a 10pt, 200lb less than a mile from my hunting camp.

Boolit Grand Master

Big deer do exist but after about 250 pounds dressed they are far from common. Here's a couple of interesting live verse field dressed charts.

http://www.alfredny.biz/sportsmen/Wh...ield-chart.htm

http://www.askthemeatman.com/estimate_deer_weight.htm

Boolit Master
    I am glad I'm not the only one that took issue to the 325lb whitetail claim. The accuracy claim I'll let pass because he only said it did it, not how many times in a row or how many shot group. Heck, my 7mm that I have put a considerable amount of money and twice as much time into will shoot sub 1/2 MOA one-shot groups past 1000 yards, every single time!
    But a 325lb whitetail... I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but with a lifetime of being around Montana whitetails (admittedly, my lifetime is 1/3 of many on this site) I have never seen one that would break much over the 200lb mark. Heck, 325 dressed weight is a pretty normal cow elk! Now I am assuming that he means live weight, but that would be one flat out tank of a whitetail! Along about 2009 my brother harvested a very nice 5 point mountain mule deer (10 point for the eastern folks) and I happened to harvest my biggest whitetail to date, also a large 5 point, just going into rut with a big ol' neck on him that I thought was a monster body-wise also. Hanging next to my brother's average sized mulie, he was over a foot off the shop floor, and that mulie had his nose on the floor! The mule deer weighed just over 200 dressed, and my whitetail was under 170. I saw a very average sized buck mule deer last year that weighed more than my calf elk I shot, and I can tell you there is no denying the difference in size of a big buck mule deer to the size of a absolute monster of a whitetail. And I have personally never actually seen a mule deer that broke 300 on a scale. John Barsness was talking last year about the average size of mature mule deer and he has harvested a few that broke 300 and I would like someone to show me a whitetail that even comes close in size. And we are talking about Mt river bottom, hay ground well fed bucks I grew up with on the ranch near Great Falls where Lloyd is talking about. Seeing probably 40 or more deer a year on the ground, and many more cutting meat, I can say that 325lbs would certainly make the paper!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Buddy
    its a live weight deer

Banned

I cant argue with a thing you said. Seems everyone that shoots an 8 pointer up here claims its 200 plus lbs. Most of them are very lucky to go 160 dressed a HUGE buck maybe 200 dressed and like you I live up north where there suppose to grow big. Im not saying theres never been a 300lb deer shot around here. But there as rare as 700lb black bear and who the heck weights a deer with the guts in it. I don't know of a single hunter that doesn't gut his deer before he drags it out of the woods. We can talk great falls because theres LOTS of deer in that area. My brother in law have killed some trophy muleys and even some real nice whitetails there and a huge muley goes maybe 250 or 300 live. Maybe 30 years ago when there wasn't the hunting pressure there is today some huge ones were shot out there but the 6x6 and 7x7 muleys are pretty rare today. It no doubt takes a local that knows where to go to find them and has land locked up. Aint happening on public land and if it does you might want to consider a lottery ticket on the way home. Had to chuckle just the other day. Dad is getting to old (85) to skin and butcher dear so he called me because the nephew shot a 9 pointer and gave it to him because he couldn't get out enough to shoot one himself. he said it was huge at least 200lbs. Now dad has shot a lot of deer though the years and still has problems with his mind seeing an animal grow after its hung. I drove 45 miles and got there to skin it and told him that sure isn't a 200lb deer. he said it sure was. the nephew even weighted it. Told him to go and grab his scale and every lb over 160 that deer weighted id give him a buck. It cost me 3 dollars. Nobody weighted that deer. the nephew wanted to brag on his big buck and pulled that right out of the air. Told dad to collect his 3 bucks from the nephew that lied to him. Ive hunted for 50 years and did crop damage shooting for 13 and have seen LOTS of bucks and I can count on my two hands how many went over 200 and on and with my hands im my pocket count how many went over 250. Not saying a 300lb whitetail isn't possible but like I said buy a lottery ticket because the odds are about the same. Even if its live weight id consider that lottery ticket anyway. heres the #3 Michigan buck of all time (typical rack measurement) . My buddy is the uncle of this kid. It went 292 on a certified scale live weight. They had to drag it out with a side by side because two guys could barely drag it on flat ground(Yes they drug it with the guts because he wanted to know what the real live weight was. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/huge-...ar-200-inches/ Third of all time. Keep the "ALL TIME" in your mind. some may need a better scale or you bullet casters might find a different place to stash your ingots that said after I drug the 6 pointer I shot this year out of the swamp if you would have asked me id have guessed it went an easy 250!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 429421Cowboy View Post
    I am glad I'm not the only one that took issue to the 325lb whitetail claim. The accuracy claim I'll let pass because he only said it did it, not how many times in a row or how many shot group. Heck, my 7mm that I have put a considerable amount of money and twice as much time into will shoot sub 1/2 MOA one-shot groups past 1000 yards, every single time!
    But a 325lb whitetail... I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but with a lifetime of being around Montana whitetails (admittedly, my lifetime is 1/3 of many on this site) I have never seen one that would break much over the 200lb mark. Heck, 325 dressed weight is a pretty normal cow elk! Now I am assuming that he means live weight, but that would be one flat out tank of a whitetail! Along about 2009 my brother harvested a very nice 5 point mountain mule deer (10 point for the eastern folks) and I happened to harvest my biggest whitetail to date, also a large 5 point, just going into rut with a big ol' neck on him that I thought was a monster body-wise also. Hanging next to my brother's average sized mulie, he was over a foot off the shop floor, and that mulie had his nose on the floor! The mule deer weighed just over 200 dressed, and my whitetail was under 170. I saw a very average sized buck mule deer last year that weighed more than my calf elk I shot, and I can tell you there is no denying the difference in size of a big buck mule deer to the size of a absolute monster of a whitetail. And I have personally never actually seen a mule deer that broke 300 on a scale. John Barsness was talking last year about the average size of mature mule deer and he has harvested a few that broke 300 and I would like someone to show me a whitetail that even comes close in size. And we are talking about Mt river bottom, hay ground well fed bucks I grew up with on the ranch near Great Falls where Lloyd is talking about. Seeing probably 40 or more deer a year on the ground, and many more cutting meat, I can say that 325lbs would certainly make the paper!
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-08-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast