Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ruger percision

Boolit Buddy

ruger percision

just bought a ruger percision in 6.5 creedmoor 24''
    Last edited by milltownhunter; 12-08-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Banned

i was going to make a crack about ruger and precision used in the same sentence is an oxymoron (I guess i did) if your honest that's probably the best shooting ruger rifle ive ever heard of in my entire life. any rifle that shoots 1/4 inch 5 shot group is something to cherish even if it is but ugly. Ive owned over a 100 rifles through the years and have yet to find one that would.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 12-03-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    It's an accurate cartridge for sure! My son shot five rounds of Hornady ammunition into a ragged hole with an A bolt I had. Best 100 yard group he ever did.

Boolit Master
    i have a rpr also but mine is in 308,me my wife and my buddy have all shot sub moa with it at a 100 yards and ive killed a whitetail and a fallow deer with it

I'd have to see 1/4" groups to believe it. Your ammo would have to have less than .002 runout or it wouldn't happen. My 40X or 40XB with 26X scope won't do it. Both will shoot 1/2" as long as they're clean...
    Last edited by gnostic; 12-03-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

A 325 pound whitetail is a stud. Do you have a picture you could post?

Boolit Grand Master

Good Grief! 325lbs? I've seen 300lb whitetails, guy in our camp shot an 8pt 280lb and it filled the back of a short bed pick-up. Huge deer and I'm glad I didn't have to drag it. The thing that sucks is that it was in a small patch of woods next to a river just across a railroad trestle that we crossed to hunt the woods and a bunch of us walked right past it.

The 6.5 is a great round as the Swedes have known for 100yrs
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I'd have to see 1/4" groups to believe it. Your ammo would have to have less than .002 runout or it wouldn't happen. My 40X or 40XB with 26X scope won't do it. Both will shoot 1/2" as long as they're clean...
    My $225 Compass .308 shot a sub 1/4 inch 5 shot group. (165 gr GameKing, 44 gr of Varget, Military prepped cases) It was the last group of a series of load work ups. It can happen. Once temperatures get reasonable, I will see how it does over a series of groups. I have shot enough to know it was a fluke....but it can happen.

I agree with you. Doing it once, is not the same as doing it every group. If anyone I know brags their rifle is sub 1/2 MOA, I offer them a $100 challenge. 5 shots. Never had any takers.
    Don Verna

You staple those up above your loading bench;
    when your wibbles compensated for your wobbles!

Banned

yup 1/4 inch groups. 325lb whitetail, been shooting all my life. Watched 1000s of others shoot and have never seen one 1/4 in 5 shot group other then shot at a bench rest competition. to even do it consistently you have to be at least as well trained as the best snipers in the country. I also shoot probably an average of 40 whitetail a year and have for the last 15 years. Some years have even broken a 100 and ive yet to see a 325 lb whitetail deer. Maybe the exist but maybe big foot does too. We are know for big bucks up here and believe me a 200lb whitetail is a huge animal and one man in good shape will struggle to get it out of the woods. I chuckle at sad faces of guys that actually weight there 200 lb deer and find out its a 150lbs. Now if you were talking mule deer I might bight but even a mule deer at 325lbs would make the local news. Im with devrna. I don't doubt you have an exceptionaly good shooting gun but take a ride over with that gun and 20 rounds of ammo. If you shoot 4 5shot groups at a 1/4 inch or less ill pay for your trip, gas food and lodging. if one group is bigger then that ill be there next year for an all expense paid deer hunt in montana. Id like a crack at those genetically engineered whitetail you have out there in your area. Ive hunted the great falls area where my sister lives probably a dozen times and never saw a whitetail that came close to that. If you cant do that and want to make me look silly I can give you my brother in laws address and you can just run over to great falls and make me eat crow.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Good Grief! 325lbs? I've seen 300lb whitetails, guy in our camp shot an 8pt 280lb and it filled the back of a short bed pick-up. Huge deer and I'm glad I didn't have to drag it. The thing that sucks is that it was in a small patch of woods next to a river just across a railroad trestle that we crossed to hunt the woods and a bunch of us walked right past it.

The 6.5 is a great round as the Swedes have known for 100yrs

A number of years ago, I was helping at an archery check station near here. The biggest buck we weighed that year was 265 pounds field dressed. I have no idea what it would have weighed alive.
    It was easily the biggest deer I have ever been close to.
    I have seen one that I believe was bigger but not by a lot. Never got really close to him. He was too smart for that. I got to watch him through binoculars for about 20 minutes one afternoon along the edge of a field.
    The average buck we weighed in was around 160 pounds.

Banned

325 pound seems crazy big. But per Tazman's post, consistent with what is real. A single 1/4 inch 3 shot group makes sense. O/P did not say five shot groups. It is possible, not probable. As to those who seem to have soreness in the derriere that Ruger could produce a "precision" rifle, get some ointment.

I just checked for conversion from field dressed weight to live weight. This number may vary slightly depending on a particular deer. They said to multiply the field dressed weight by 1.26 to get live weight.
    That 265lb field dressed deer would have weighed 333LB on the hoof.

Banned

Makes sense
    Thank you

Banned

might be possible if your talking live weight but everyone I know states the weight of there deer as field dressed. Must be a REAL bugger to get a 325lb deer out of the woods without gutting it. I don't know anyone that doesn't field dress a deer in the woods but I guess maybe some do. I can say we had one air force GI at our camp that shot a 4 pointer and drug it back to camp with the guts in it. We got a good chuckle out of it. We asked him if he knew how and he said absolutely. So we drug it out behind camp and watched him puke twice while he did it. By then we were rolling on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I just checked for conversion from field dressed weight to live weight. This number may vary slightly depending on a particular deer. They said to multiply the field dressed weight by 1.26 to get live weight.
    That 265lb field dressed deer would have weighed 333LB on the hoof.

Boolit Grand Master

Deer in cold climates tend to have larger bodies than deer in warm areas. About 20 years ago a whitetail buck I shot won two large deer contests. One paid $300 and the other paid $200. They went by weight. That was in North Dakota. It went 248 pounds field dressed. I did see one that went 271 on a certified scale. My dad and his friend took a buck in the early 60's that was huge. They both shot at the same time and made good hits. They never put it on a scale. It was the largest deer anyone in the area had seen. They only took one picture hanging. It was huge. I hung my 248 buck from the same rafter for comparison. It was significantly smaller. Based on the picture I believe that buck went around 350.

Boolit Master

Worked a check station ar the White River Refuge (Southern Arkansas) in '69 or '70. Most deer checked were under 200 lbs. The heaviest was about 360 fied dressed. We had to get it down from the top of a station wagon and put it back after weighing it. It was a big sucker. The lightest was 19 lbs live weight. They found it wounded and caught in a fence as they were waiting in traffic, leaving on the last night. We had traffic backed up over a 1/4 mile as everyone had to come through the checkstation on the way out.

Boolit Master
    this one is out of illinoisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	22528127_1837509212943385_3139907589076460350_n.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	231485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22687718_1837509209610052_5181975396182890197_n.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	231486 might be a few big deer there

Boolit Master
    I have two buddies who use the Ruger Precision rifles until the barrels open up from 1/4 inch groups to 1/2 inch. Both of these fellers shoot 6.5 and switch barrels once they get consistent 1/2 inch 5 shots. The RPR is not a cheap trick or ploy. It is indeed a rifle on par with those that cost 5 times more. However, they are both fanatical handloaders who have mastered the craft in every way possible. They also insist on glass that costs 3 times more than the rifle itself.

Boolit Master

The RPR in 6.5 CM is an incredibly accurate rifle combination especially with good glass. My 6.5 CM (encore with custom barrel) wears the most expensive scope I've ever purchased, and it is worth every penny.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast