RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Screw 44 mag Blackhawk help

Super Moderator

Yep, same thing for my Old Army. A friend picked it up at a gun show for me, because he knew I was looking for one. I've been shooting the daylights out of it, because that's why I bought it. To shoot.

Boolit Master
    Kudos. Buying a gun you like,, will make you happier,, than if you didn't and later look back saying; "I wish I had." And,, at a current collector value of about $685,,, (or more if it has the manual,) the difference of $50-$65 isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. As you have noted,, you can see it,,, handle it,, and make sure it's what you want. And as noted,, internet sales with shipping transfer fees etc,, it could cost you more,, and you not get the hands on inspection.

And concerning "Ruger Only" loads,, a few reloading manuals use this terminology,, and you mentioned "over SAAMI specs." I can attest that the Super will handle any normal 44 mag loads,, and we all know we should stay within the loads published in the manuals. I can personally say I have loaded & fired many, many different loads in many Rugers over the years. I have never felt the need to exceed any published load data,,, and have OFTEN found the most accurate loads to be below the maximums listed. Let your gun decide what it likes the best.

The old 3 screw SBH is a better fitted and finished gun than new models. They are just as strong as
    new ones too. Triggers are a lot better. I have not seen one in the kind of shape described by OP
    with box, docs for less. I've seen a lot of them for more. One like that is worth the price of a new one and will always have more resale value. It's same with 3screw Blackhawks, 357 is most common the
    30carbine, 41 mag & 45s bring about same money as SBH, condition being the same. There is no
    such animal as a 2 screw.

Buy it and enjoy it! I have long ago quit picking over pennies. Doing so made me pass on many guns I wish I had bought.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    I'm glad I spotted the 3 screw. I had gone in there cause a buddy of mine told me he had a Talo SBH 44 mag 7 1/2 Turnbul CCH.. Which also is a gorgeous SA..

Boolit Master
    There's a reason that the Ruger recall has gone on for 50 years or so; if keeping it loaded, only load 5 and keep the hammer down on an empty chamber. Now, my conscience is clear.

Boolit Man
    My normal EDC is a 4 3/4 Colt 45. Load one, skip one, load four. Even load the same on range. Have even loaded my old Vaqueros same way out of habit..lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky Montana View Post
    My normal EDC is a 4 3/4 Colt 45. Load one, skip one, load four. Even load the same on range. Have even loaded my old Vaqueros same way out of habit..lol
    Thanks. I had forgotten the exact formula. I tried to dredge it up, but just could not come up with it. Safer for me to just say keep it on an empty chamber.

Boolit Master
    Blacky, buy that revolver and buy it now. From your comments on this thread you have already decided you want it but are confronted by the price. The only thing worse than arguing with yourself over the price of a firearm is - buyer's remorse over the one that got away from you. Please don't ask me how I know about buyer's remorse. It is still too painful to discuss the details. If this one gets away from you it will cause a painful memory that will last much longer then the price you paid for the find. Buy it today!

Boolit Man
    Thin Man you are so correct. Only thing I'm waiting on is my Christmas Bonus...lol. Which buys me a new firearm every year..
    In past years it always comes this week..

Boolit Man
    Ya at. Boss just confirmed that our Christmas bonus will be in this week's check. So I called my LGS and told him I'd be in Friday to pick it up. He said he was taking it out of showcase and putting my name on it.. OUTSTANDING..

Blacky

Boolit Master
    Kudos!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Good move!

Boolit Man
    Guess I just love the older style guns. When I grab a pistol, it's a single action. If I need a rifle, I grab one of my lever actions. If I need a shotgun, I grab a single shot. And I I hunt muzzleloader, it's always my Hawkins...lol. Funny part, is I have two gun safes full of more high tech type pistols, rifles, and shotguns. But I seem to always go "old school".

Boolit Master
    I bought a very nice 44 Mag Ruger three screw in the early 1980s for $150 and really liked it. It had a 6 & 1/2 inch barrel and fluted cylinder. Unfortunately I was forced to sell it to pay college tuition for our son. A great 1st gen Colt in .45 went with it. I had owned a SBH earlier and hated it. It was just too big and heavy. I dumped it. The three screw was built on the same frame as the .357 flat top and just could not handle the pressures of the later SBH. Elmer Kieth complained about this from the time of its introduction. I have seen several early three screw 44 Rugers on the counter tops in gun shops that were missing the top strap and upper half of the cylinder. Ruger had good reason to bring out the SBH. If you own a three screw in 44 caliber, don't hot rod it.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 12-06-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12