Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Downside to converting nipple from percussion to 209?

Downside to converting nipple from percussion to 209?

Are there any downsides to converting a percussion sidelock to a 209 nipple? Percussion caps are expensive ($8 a tin), but since I reload shotshells I have a whole pile of 209 shotshell primers that cost a lot less.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

The set up I had was slow to change caps/primers. It screwed into the existing thread for the nipple and the base held the 209 primer. A screw on cap held a small firing pin and the primer in place. To replace the primer you cocked the hammer unscrewed the cap changed the primer screwed cap back on and lowered hammer to half cock. The cap was small and hard to hang on to also.

Boolit Master
    There is no downside,look up ( Magspark) as I have 6 sidelocks and an underhammer using them . No shortage/ everybody stocks them and cheap primers /and by the way quite waterproof aside from great ignition . Just get an extra top just in case you drop lose one you have a spare ,on my underhammer a burned forearm is a thing of the past ! I dont speed load muzzle loaders so thats a non issue (for me) Ed

Boolit Master
    The MagSpark and other similar nipple replacements put out a much hotter spark which may cause problems with the powder load. I have a target rifle that was made just for the adapter and it has a very small vent hole about half way down the barrel where the powder load is going to be. The rifle builder told me it was to reduce any possible over pressure issues. I built an under hammer that uses these adapters and there is no vent hole? The accuracy of both rifles is great and so far no issues. Couple of things, first never dry fire as the little firing pin can break off. Next, make sure the hammer can hit the firing pin okay as they usually are cut out to help prevent nipple sparks from flying all over. Last, make sure that the hammer can fall far enough as the adapter is taller than a regular nipple.
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I gave up on my mag spark. It works great for 2-3 shots, then just becomes a bear to get the primers out. It might help to have a cotton swab and clean it every shot. The biggest downside is if you loose the cap, I painted mine orange. With Goex, mine is perfect with standard CCI #11 caps, so I went back to those. They only cost about $3.75 a tin at walmart, so about what 209 primers cost.

Boolit Master
    I had the sticky 209 issue and the builder of my target rifle gave me a couple items. First get a piece of aluminum or other metal or part of a drill bit that can scrape the inside of the body after each shot to remove any possible soot build up. Next is to wet the 209 primer with some spit so it goes in/out easy of the body. If I do both after each shot......no issues with sticking primers at all. At first I was afraid the wetting of the 209 would cause miss fires but none after 4 years or so.
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I gave up on my mag spark. It works great for 2-3 shots, then just becomes a bear to get the primers out. It might help to have a cotton swab and clean it every shot. The biggest downside is if you loose the cap, I painted mine orange. With Goex, mine is perfect with standard CCI #11 caps, so I went back to those. They only cost about $3.75 a tin at walmart, so about what 209 primers cost.
    Yup it stiks until you spit on the primer ,same with cap then you can shoot all day and no stiking /works great Ed

I only use my Magspark/Accushot nipples for hunting. Too much fiddling around when trying to shoot multiple shots otherwise. For target shooting I still use regular caps.