Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: a couple of questions about AR15's

Boolit Master

a couple of questions about AR15's

I want to install a FF hand guard and gas block. My AR has an A2 sight/gas block. Should i replace the gas tube also?
    I also would like to build a 450 BM. Will i need to get a new bolt carrier? Or can i just replace the face on the carrier?

Boolit Master

No need to replace the gas tube unless you replace the barrel with a differen gas port length/ distance. Just replace the gas block.

You can just replace the bolt if needed. No need to replace the entire bolt carrier group. All bolt carriers are the same except in the case of piston vs gas or if you wanted a fancy coated one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    On the 450 question-- if I were to build a second upper for an AR, I much prefer to have it complete with its own bolt carrier group as opposed to swapping boltheads and using the same carrier with multiple uppers. It's only money.

Having swapped a few gas tubes when I had a battalion armory; sometimes they come out easily, other times you destroy the tube removing it. To ensure ease of removal and reuse, have a new gas tube and pin on hand. If you do this you will have one to sit on the shelf and gather dust; if you don't Murphy will show up and you will find yourself ordering parts.

Robert

Boolit Master
    You can use just a bolt head, but as said, you will get tired of swapping parts. And the big bores wont fit thru a standard ejection port, so would have to be opened up on anything sold as 5.56. I made a bolt, opened the face on a lathe, most will just have to buy one.

Do yourself a favor, buy a couple extra roll pins for the gas tube, they get lost real easy and not something you can buy at a hardware store.

I shaved my mil spec gas block with a Dremel tool, so it's forged steel and pinned on like original. I don't like the set screw types for the obvious reason and the gas block fits nicely under the handguard..

The BCG is like an engine piston/cylinder, use a complete assy, don't just change the bolt. Plus I don't like replacing the cotter pin either.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I shaved my mil spec gas block with a Dremel tool, so it's forged steel and pinned on like original. I don't like the set screw types for the obvious reason and the gas block fits nicely under the handguard..
    i did the exact same thing. It works perfectly. There are youtube videos on how to do this.