Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Winchester 1886 disassembly tip needed PLEASE!

Winchester 1886 disassembly tip needed PLEASE!

I have an old 1886, MFG 1889. I took it apart wanting to clean it up abit. I Doubt it got cleaned to often. It was my firs time disassembling it. I started at 9pm, ended at 1am! How am I supposed to line up the lever,bolt,firing pin, and keep the extractor and its spring pushed in far enough into the bolt to let the little pin in? there must be a tool to hold that extractor in while I line up everything. Any tips and tricks are appreciated, I also am aware of a page on here about the disassembly of an 1886 but that wasnt much help either.

Also, I asked this question on the Lever-guns thread but maybe this is more appropriate: My cartridges get stuck on/behind the cartridge stop and guide. Is there a way to polish them or round off the edges? Any other fix possible? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I have an old 1886, MFG 1889.

It was my firs time disassembling it. I started at 9pm, ended at 1am!

How am I supposed to line up the lever,bolt,firing pin, and keep the extractor and its spring pushed in far enough into the bolt to let the little pin in?

Place an empty brass, the same as the chambering, on the face of the bolt, under the extractor.

That should hold everything in place while trying to align the finger lever pin with it's hole in the bolt.

Ensure that the pin is installed evenly in the center of the bolt, lest a protruding end hang up on an internal receiver surface, stopping the bolt from closing fully.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Place an empty brass, the same as the chambering, on the face of the bolt, under the extractor.

That should hold everything in place while trying to align the finger lever pin with it's hole in the bolt.

Ensure that the pin is installed evenly in the center of the bolt, lest a protruding end hang up on an internal receiver surface, stopping the bolt from closing fully.

What do you mean on the face of the bolt? If I push the bolt in to much I wont be able to access the pin hole. its about an inch back, (if memory serves me correctly) from the bolt face.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post

What do you mean on the face of the bolt ?

What I mean is that when re-installing the bolt into the gun, place an empty shell on the bolt face, with it's rim under/held by the extractor like below.

After the bolt, along with the empty brass, is deep enough into the action, line up the hole in the bolt with the hole in the receiver and install the lever link pin.

The empty shell can then be removed & saved for the next time when you can't get it re-assembled....

The above pic happens to be a boltgun, but re-assembling your rifle uses the same principle.

Last edited by pietro; 12-01-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I knew there was something I had to do! John Browning wasnt an octopus and neither am I to hold all those pieces! Thanks.