MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Ken Howell's Designing & Forming Custom Cartridges Book

Boolit Buddy

Ken Howell's Designing & Forming Custom Cartridges Book

Guys
    Here is another book that is worth it.

It is not a reloading manual, per se,
    But has a host of cartridge dimensions, from the smallest case to the largest,
    and shows other cases that can be used to convert to others with a little browsing thru it etc.

This book is not readily found or available.

YMMV,

Tia,
    Don

Wow. I looked up prices on that book and it is going for $150 and up from several sources. Has been out of print since 1995 and looks like a highly sought after collectible and usable book.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Grand Master

The price fluctuates a lot. It’s $150 now and May be $70 in two weeks time. I have a copy and find it worthwhile to have.

Boolit Master

I have 2 copies. The first I got from Ken Howell himself and the second I ordered from the company that published Precision Shooting. Both were about $50 back then. Pretty good price per pound.

I guess I was thinking that I would have a copy for each of my sons. Neither are inclined in that direction so one of these days somebody will get a good deal.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy

I have #347 signed by K Howell, when he first brought them out, and IIRR the price was $50,
    now the average price runs $100-$150..........

Right now there is 1 copy for $99 on Bay site.......
    No eBay links, ever

Tia,
    Don
    Last edited by Pressman; 01-18-2019 at 07:29 AM. Reason: eBay Link removed

Boolit Master

I met Ken Howell at a Shot Show in the mid 90s, spoke with him a while and ordered his book. He offered my choice of serial numbers in an autographed edition. After I got home, number 4590 show up and I've referred to it since then.

For a highly usable reference on cartridge conversions, look for "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions", by John Donnelly. Donnelly was a professional case modder and his book is as big as Howell's.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I have 2 copies. The first I got from Ken Howell himself and the second I ordered from the company that published Precision Shooting. Both were about $50 back then. Pretty good price per pound.

I guess I was thinking that I would have a copy for each of my sons. Neither are inclined in that direction so one of these days somebody will get a good deal.
    Dad ! DAD !! I'm over here !!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I met Ken Howell at a Shot Show in the mid 90s, spoke with him a while and ordered his book. He offered my choice of serial numbers in an autographed edition. After I got home, number 4590 show up and I've referred to it since then.

For a highly usable reference on cartridge conversions, look for "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions", by John Donnelly. Donnelly was a professional case modder and his book is as big as Howell's.
    Your post reminded me that the copy I got directly from Ken Howell was also numbered(913) and signed. I didn't have the foresight or presence of mind to request something meaningful. The date is 5 December 2000 exactly as he wrote it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I have both and there is no comparison. Howell is best all the way.

When I bought mine from Ken he said there would be a follow up book but apparently it never came as I have never heard of it.

Boolit Master

I looked for the follow up book for a long time. Apparently he just ran out of stamina. Somewhere along the years he had a stroke, fought his way thru it, moved to Arizona(?). But never got very far with the second book. I'm sure it would have been very interesting and accurate.

I'm writing this as if he has passed away. I don't know that for a fact and can't find any mention of that.

EDIT! Looked some more and found this:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ics/10849868/1
    Last edited by alamogunr; 12-01-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    I bought mine form Ken as well. It is signed copy #556 to me and he dated it "Stevensville, Montana 3 December 1997... It is a treasure...