Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recovered bullets, gas cutting?

Boolit Buddy
    wolfmanjack it looks like a trifle of gas cutting on the right side pic bottom . when the bullet leaves the barrel is the most critical point of accuracy. the bullet and barrel have to be perfectly square with one another because any gas off to one side or another will have a tendency to push the bullet in a slightly different direction. the base of the bullet is always the most critical for accuracy.

Gas cutting on the trailing edge without actually cutting the edge corner and also directly behind the rifling impression? I would say that is not gas erosion. It looks to me like the boolit did not enter the bore straight and that portion of the base ran free of the bore and that the uneven appearance is the uneven dragging of displaced alloy. I could be wrong - I can't zoom in enough for a clear view.

Examples of gas cutting.

Last edited by 303Guy; 12-02-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    i would not be happy with a find like that but then again that's what it's all about. keep trying till you get it right.

Boolit Master
    This is interesting.

How do you expand the cases?

USMC 77, USRA 79

I am not sure about what the rest of the folks here think, but those bullets look pretty normal to me with only rifling marks. But I am not an authority, just my experience talking. If your getting the accuracy your expecting, no leading in the barrel, then it’s pretty good in my opinion.

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Here is the problem diagnosing a disease over the phone type things.
    1. I couldnt find where he mentioned the type of launch platform.
    2. What else has he tried to do to correct it?
    3. What does he expect as to accuracy and how does it tie into the firearm?
    4. Other than having a few wallet groups what type of deer sized game couldnt he kill with a 2 inch grouping load at generally less than 100 yards.
    5. When you consider his shots are hitting only 1 inch in any direction from his point of aim how bad is his shooting really?
    6. When does reality actually come in to any of pour though processes?

It is fine to experiment just for the sake of experimenting. Ive done it myself. But I still try to keep reality as a foundation on which to build my experimentation shack.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 12-03-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Recovering fired bullets is something that I never really do seeing as they generally end up God knows where. I had pulled some reloaded 45-70 cartridges and reclaimed the powder(tightgroup powder). I fired a couple test rounds with the reclaimed powder just to make sure all was ok. It just so happened that I was able to recover those two bullets. There is an obvious bevel to the base of the bullet where lead has been removed. Had I not recovered the bullets then I would be oblivious to this fact and my 2 moa load would be just that. I’m new to cast boolits and was just seeking advice as to the cause of this missing lead. I thought maybe someone could tell me what was happening here. Past 100 yards this loads opens up quickly. If I could keep my bases intact maybe I could squeeze some moreaccuracy out of it. The gun is a cva scout v2. I get moa accuracy with hornady 300 gr jacketed with 49gr of reloader 7. That load is no fun to shoot off the bench.

Boolit Master

If referring to the bit of disturbance at the heel, that could very easily be caused by scraping a bit of lead by the case mouth when seating. Especially since it is on one side. Could indicate a bullet not starting into the case straight, thus causing a bit of erosion on that point of contact.

Boolit Master

Like Taterhead I am leaning towards seating damage during the loading process. Pulling a few loaded examples might confirm this.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Bub
    Negative on the seating, pulled bullet bases are nice and sharp all the way around. It’s been so wet in South Louisiana I haven’t been able to get out and shoot. When the fields dry up I’ll do some experimenting.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I PC and size after, I get real square bases.

Boolit Buddy
    ??? "continuously experiment and piddle" Fiddle, not Piddle, it's FIDDLE !!!

Boolit Master
    Merriam Webster dictionary says piddle means dawdle/putter.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12