Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovered bullets, gas cutting?

Boolit Bub

Recovered bullets, gas cutting?

I’m casting from an accurate mold for my 45-70. Alloy shot is water quenched wheel weights. The bullets drop from the mold at .4615 according to my digital calipers. Lube is 50/50 beeswax and olive oil. Load is 12 grains of tightgroup. Accuracy is 2moa at 100 yards. Is this erosion at the bullet base normal? I get very slight leading with this load that cleans up easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 73DCB6D7-0258-47AB-B833-8276B28DDFAB.jpg   BCAC97D8-B9A1-4CA9-B872-68C04B9F87B1.jpg  

Boolit Mold
    Ever thought about PC?

Boolit Master

I try to shoot .458-.459 diameter ones out of my 45-70
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned
    lonecat, welcome to CB. Not sure PC would prevent that, PC is more like a lube than a protective coating.

Walt, that all depends on the bore diameter

I would think water dropped WW alloy is too hard for a load that light. Try the same load with 50/50 ww/pure.
    Your boolit might be too hard and is not obtruding like it needs to in order to seal the bore.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    Really good pics. Only gas cutting I have seen leaves a trail up much farther than your example so I am no help. Can someone tell me what the angled bottom of the driving bands is about ? The angle of the erosion or missing alloy is forward instead of rearward as I have observed on my recovered 45/70 slugs. My slugs have the bands pushed rearward by the rifling and or bore.

Do these boolits do the same thing with a different powder or just with Titegroup?
    The reason I ask is Titegroup has a reputation for burning hotter temperature wise than other powders. Another powder may not do that.

Boolit Bub
    I have tried air cooled wheel weight which is definitely softer than wc and my accuracy falls apart. I have also tried reloader 7 but again couldn’t get the accuracy I wanted. The 12 gr of tightgroup shoots pretty good. These are the only bullets I’ve recovered.

Boolit Master
    Are you crimping? Maybe load a dummy or two and inertia out and mic to eliminate sizing during load.

Boolit Grand Master

Could you measure the recovered diameter of the bullets?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Only thing I see is some wrinkling at the edge of the base. Could be the 'tail' of lead being hammered by pressure. Lead being pushed to the rear by the bore (like you see in the l.g.s) occurs at the base edge. Some may be broken off and end up with slight leading in the bore. You alloy seems to be just right, it flows into the grooves (not 'cut') and can appear to have moved forward. Gas cutting normally shows as grooves going through the drive bands. The grooves appear to not be uniform depth which could be cutting by lube or gas but my guess it's lube - edges of the lands have highest pressure that gets the lube to flow.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I cast my 500's the same way (water quenched clip on ww) and ended up with some lead in barrel. Couldn't recover bullets but there was obvious gas cutting. I then did alloy 5-1 (stick on ww/clip on) and 2% tin GC'd. This mix gets me 17 BHN. All my bullets get powder coated regardless. Anyway the latter solved my problem.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Are you getting a good fill on your pour?

I would try a card wad under the bullet, see what happens. Can't complain about your accuracy too much.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Recovered bullet diameter is .4575. The erosion is only at the base of the bullet. It does not in fact occur around the entire base. It occurs approximately from the “10 to 2 o’clock” position. I would assume that this uneven base would be affecting my accuracy? I’m new to this cast boolit game and seeking advice of the experts. Hunting accuracy is more than acceptable to me. My shots are usually less than 100 yards. I took a doe with this boolit a few weeks ago. I obviously get no expansion. I started with the lee 405 gr flat point boolit. My accuracy with that boolit was slightly better but the leading was worse. I tried powder coating the Lee boolit but still got the leading. I figured it was undersized. That boolit also shot best with 12 gr of tightgroup? The harder alloy also shot better than the soft alloy. So many variables to this cast game.

Boolit Bub
    Yes I get great fill out with the accurate mold. Any imperfection gets tossed back in the pot.

Boolit Bub
    The 12 gr of tightgroup doesn’t come close to filling the case. I don’t know how the wad would affect pressure and if it would come out of the case square(?).

Powder laying at the bottom of the case. Try some dacron filler to keep position.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    "I’m casting from an accurate mold for my 45-70. Alloy shot is water quenched wheel weights. The bullets drop from the mold at .4615 according to my digital calipers. Lube is 50/50 beeswax and olive oil. Load is 12 grains of tightgroup. Accuracy is 2moa at 100 yards. Is this erosion at the bullet base normal? I get very slight leading with this load that cleans up easily."
    "Recovered bullet diameter is .4575. The erosion is only at the base of the bullet. It does not in fact occur around the entire base. It occurs approximately from the “10 to 2 o’clock” position. I would assume that this uneven base would be affecting my accuracy? I’m new to this cast boolit game and seeking advice of the experts. Hunting accuracy is more than acceptable to me. My shots are usually less than 100 yards. I took a doe with this boolit a few weeks ago. I obviously get no expansion. I started with the lee 405 gr flat point boolit. My accuracy with that boolit was slightly better but the leading was worse. I tried powder coating the Lee boolit but still got the leading. I figured it was undersized. That boolit also shot best with 12 gr of tightgroup? The harder alloy also shot better than the soft alloy. So many variables to this cast game."

Now what did you say the problem is????

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

Boolit Bub
    Well maybe there is no problem? From everything I’ve read the consensus seems to be proper fill out and square bases are what we strive for. It seems that square base is needed for accuracy. I want accuracy in my loads. Isn’t that what we are all experimenting for? If I can shrink my groups to 1 moa that would be awesome, no?

Boolit Master
    "My shots are usually less than 100 yards. I took a doe with this boolit a few weeks ago."

No trouble getting the deer? How much experimenting are you willing to do to gain more accuracy to use at generally less than 100 yards.
    Try a filler, will protect the bases to a degree.
    It is your call. Do you really need a benchrest accuracy load to do what you want?
    Much game is harvested each year that is shot with loads no more accurate than yours. If you are the type that likes to continuously experiment and piddle I say go for it. At least it keeps one from dwelling on their problems in other things. Kinda refreshes the mind so to speak.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast