Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 375 Ruger Whitetail

Boolit Buddy

375 Ruger Whitetail

"375 Ruger is too much gun for a whitetail." Nope, hand loading with cast bullets transforms the 375 from too much to just about perfect. It was last light (but still legal). Walking out from hunt but hunted all the way out. Son-in-law spotted this deer about 120 yards away. He called him (we thought it was a good size doe, actually 3.5" spike) in with a doe call. At about 75 yards he stopped, grazed a little, standing at about 30 degrees with his right shoulder facing me. Dropped where he stood. Shot him a tad higher than I meant to but it hit the shoulder bone, took out three ribs, destroyed the lungs, missed the heart (high) and punched a 2" hole through the liver. I expected a pass through. Did not. No exit hole. Field dressed in the dark. I expected to find the bullet in the left ham but didn't. Must have been in the gut pile. Next time I go back may be the critters left it to lay.

The rifle is a Mossberg Patriot 375 Ruger. 2.5x scope. The load which is safe in my gun, but I have no idea whether it would be safe in yours, is a 275 grain CBE mold cast bullet by me with a ww/lead mix & powder coated at about 400 degrees, air cooled after baking. Hornady brass, 64.0 grains IMR 7383, with Winchester WLR primers. It chronographs about 1950 fps 15 feet from the bore.

Targets are at 50 yards (all the range has) off sandbags. Target 1 was shot first with clean barrel. I'm not the best marksman, yet the load is minute of deer. 4 shots on first target, 3 on the other two. (Those other holes are 30 calber.) Bore cleaning is a cinch.

Thanks for all the info I have gathered from you all on this site over the years. I am a better caster, shooter and hunter because of it.

DavidClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1123181914.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	231300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1130181333.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	231301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1130181334.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	231302

Boolit Master
    I’d say that about perfect,it got meat for the freezer.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
    I’d say that about perfect,it got meat for the freezer.
    And tastes good to boot. Biscuits and fresh backstrap, yes sir!

Banned
    good shooting!!!!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Awsome! I have a 375 rum I'd like to try cast in. I tried to slow mine down with trail boss and 235gr jacketed speers. I couldn't hit a barn if I were locked inside it with the slow velocity loads.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-01-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Awsome! I have a 375 rum I'd like to try cast in. I tried to slow mine down with trail boss and 235gr jacketed speers. I couldn't hit a barn if I were locked inside it with the slow velocity loads.
    I don't load for that cartridge but in the 375 Ruger I've also used 50 grains of h4895 with the same bullet. It gave about 100 fps more and tightened the accuracy up a little bit. Not too bad in either case with a plain base bullet

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Well, it would sure make my beast of a gun fun to shoot if I could tighten up my groups. It took close to 2600/2700 fps to get it to shoot acceptable minute of deer but at that velocity it was starting to belt me like normal powerhouse load.

Boolit Master
    Good show!

I shot a good size (for around here) eight point a few years ago with a full house .375H&H 300gr Hornady softpoint. It didn’t tear up as much venison as a .308 or 06, just punched through both shoulders much like my .45/70 with cast. I have a 285gr mold from NOE that shoots as well as J words in that rifle but throttled back about 100fps. I really need to get out and make venison with that rifle again.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your load is a bit hotter than a .38/55 and that caliber is no slouch! Congratulations on a successful hunt.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Good show!

I shot a good size (for around here) eight point a few years ago with a full house .375H&H 300gr Hornady softpoint. It didn’t tear up as much venison as a .308 or 06, just punched through both shoulders much like my .45/70 with cast. I have a 285gr mold from NOE that shoots as well as J words in that rifle but throttled back about 100fps. I really need to get out and make venison with that rifle again.
    Thanks Rick. I actually don't think 375 Ruger or H&H is too much gun for deer even at full tilt. I made my comment tongue in cheek. I've shot whitetails with a 243, 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 308, a 480 Ruger and this 375 Ruger and they all did their job when I did mine. I shot a medium sized hog (185 lbs.) with a friend's 375 H&H. I regularly hear comments denigrating a person's choice in hunting firearm and am some what amused. I would agree that confined to whitetails a 25 ACP is too little gun and a 50 cal is overkill but in between there are a lot of useful hunting cartridges. The hunter or shooter has the biggest part to play in how effectively his firearm and cartridge choices perform. Be responsible for your choices and how you bring them to bear. And practice shooting, heck it's great fun and you owe it to the game you are pursuing. We could all lighten up a bit on the other fellow, even if we don't agree with all his choices.

David

Used my 458ACCREL( 458 Lott sized case) for deer and pig! The deer just had a 2” hole coming and going.