RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I went to the hardware store & paid $6.00 for a 2" bolt today!

Exclamation I went to the hardware store & paid $6.00 for a 2" bolt today!

I'm experimenting & planning on making a bracket that I can screw into the top of my press for holding various gadgets like priming tools, trimmers, etc. I needed a 7/8"x14 bolt to sacrifice as the screw-in base stub. The only thing I could find at the hardware store was a $6 bolt. It is has a yellowish tint to it & the store clerk pointed out that was because it was a "type 8?" extra strong. Looking at some of the giant regular, weaker similar bolts the cost was no different(?) So I took what he had in the size I needed. Extra hard & strong I don't need! Longer bolts went up to $25 depending on length, but they were only threaded part way up & then went slick. Glad I didn't need a nut, they were $1.50! If there was a gunshow coming up, I'm sure I could have bought a reloading die out of a junk box for a buck or two that would have worked for what I needed.

Anyway, here is my question. Are there any sources of 7/8"x14 bolts of regular steel that can be ordered?

TIA...
    Last edited by pertnear; 11-30-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Moderator Emeritus

$2.09 at McMaster-Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/92865a501
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

The yellowish tint is a corrosion preventative coating (zinc/zinc chromate?). But if you plan on drilling, cutting or machining that bolt, Grade 8 is pretty hard. If you shop around you can find a Grade 5 (sorta standard every day bolt hardness), it'll be easier to cut/drill and it'll be cheaper...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    The yellowish tint is a corrosion preventative coating (zinc/zinc chromate?)...
    I believe it's actually cadmium, but agree it'll be very hard to drill into a Grade 8 bolt.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    If you are near a large city, Industrial bolt co. Have bolts in barrels for days. Cheap to very expensive to choose from. Hardware stores have to make profit on small quantity orders, these industrial bolt co.s sell in volume. One close to me will give you a one time bolt rather than deal with cash or paper work.

Boolit Grand Master

I worked in a heavy duty construction equipment repair shop and at least 80% of the bolts/nuts I replaced were black, grade 8. Didn't see any grade 8 plated/coated, some grade 5 and lower (?) were both galvanized and yellow (?) coated. Don't mean they don't exist, just I don't think they were common....
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Vendor Sponsor

You could also ebay a bolt that is soft enough you can drill and machine it. You don't want to butt your head against the wall with grade 8.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I picked up a 2 1/2" 7/8X14 bolt at a local machine shop. They had several in a bin. The charged me two dollars and yes, it was the coated hardened one. They said that it was a common size used in farm machinery as lug bolts holding on those large wheel rims on combines and the like. Gp

Moderator Emeritus

I acquired a few really-junk dies a while back -- years ago. They ARE already threaded 7/8"-14; unscrew the smaller parts from the die, and you have a nice "sleeve" to hold a 1/4" machine bolt, the head at die's bottom, with the ability to use said 1/4" bolt atop the die to fasten whatever you choose to. I had one I used a section of angle-aluminum to hold similar tools, with drilled holes near front for Allen wrenches. Just a thought -- but I'd be much surprised for you to get no results if you posted a WTB for someone's scratched, or rusted die. Seems a less-work method, which has worked for me, than messing with solid bolts.
    geo
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 11-30-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Boolit Master

How many of you have actually drilled or cut a grade 8 bolt? The ones I have worked with I had no issues with drilling or turning/ thread cutting on the lathe. They machine about like a chrome moly barrel.

P.S. Tractor Supply is a good place to get grade 2, 5 or 8 bolts.

Boolit Grand Master

Grade 8s actually machine pretty well and finish nice with the right feeds and speeds. Now the Allen head cap screws can be a bear to machine with out carbide. A little change in relief angles on HSS or better HSS with cobalt and most grade 8s cut pretty well. 1 trick is to avoid heating it or it work hardens and gets tough.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    I believe it's actually cadmium, but agree it'll be very hard to drill into a Grade 8 bolt.
    It is a zinc cromate they quite using cadmium about 15 years ago.

Your black uncoated are not as common as the yellow zinc grade 8 and silver zinc grade 5 grade 2 is also silver zinc , grade 8 will have 6 marks on the head grade 5 will have 3 grade 2 will not have any . I have sold thousands of each over the last 20 years.
    Last edited by tdoor4570; 11-30-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Banned
    JonB, your Google-Fu is strong

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    JonB, your Google-Fu is strong
    I didn't even use Google for that one. I've used McMaster for many industrial projects during my 30 years of Electrical/Electronic factory work. building test fixtures and prototypes. Their everyday pricing is tough to beat. Their huge paper catalog always sat on my desk.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I've machined plenty of Grade 8 and had no problems, just don't let it get hot like the other guys said. Since the OP already bought one it's a moot point but for a simple bracket Grade 8 is overkill.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I got some off eBay.

Go slow RPM and it’s not a problem to drill and even tap grade 8 bolts. I have done hundreds making differential screws putting left handthreads down the center of right hand bolts.

Boolit Master
    I "acquired" a 4 ft length of 7/8x14 low strength threaded rod a long time ago and have been making "dies" out of it for years.

I have a die that is bored out to accept bushings made of heat treat O-1 for neck sizing and bullet sizing, etc.
    If you have a lathe you can make a lot of loading stuff out of 7/8x14 threaded rod.
    works for me,

Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    I "acquired" a 4 ft length of 7/8x14 low strength threaded rod a long time ago and have been making "dies" out of it for years.

I have a die that is bored out to accept bushings made of heat treat O-1 for neck sizing and bullet sizing, etc.
    If you have a lathe you can make a lot of loading stuff out of 7/8x14 threaded rod.
    works for me,
    Yup, I bought four, 3 foot sticks of that many years ago. I didn't need four, but the shipping was high enough to compensate for getting that many. I've been making push through sizing dies out of this material, and it works great. 12 feet should last me the rest of my life.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

Local Tractor Supply has them and you pay by the pound and its cheap.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast