Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Screw 44 mag Blackhawk help

Boolit Man

3 Screw 44 mag Blackhawk help

Hey guys,
    Yesterday I found a original 3 screw 44 mag Blackhawk at my local gun shop. I was kind of rushed so didn't have time to examine it closely. It is still in original box, 7 1/2 barrel, and seemed to be in excellent condition. Asking price is around $780 I believe. I'm going back to get a better look. What are the main things I need to look for to determine value, such as safety upgrades. Or how can I tell if everything is original. Biggest question, what is it worth?

Boolit Master
    I suggest you have a quick read of the sticky above called “Revolver Inspection the Right Way”. I’d add you should check to see if it has a transfer bar installed. If it clicks 4 times when cocking and there is no spatula looking hand between the hammer and firing pin, then it’s an unmodified 3 Screw. Those are most desirable bc many (most?) have been sent back to Ruger for the transfer bar modification after the 1973 lawsuit.

As to value, well a retail price of $780 for an unmodified 3 Screw sounds about right for what I’ve seen in Austin and Houston markets. Not a bargain to me, but worth the money if you want one. They don’t turn up often any more so if you want it, get it soon bc someone will.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    Worth in a 44mag is were you are buying or selling a big bore mag in store. the area I live in they sit on the shelves for awhile priced at 600 and pick one up for 500 a year or so ago in like new, box, no papers, no mods. BE sides deer hunting no much use for one around here so the market is small on big bores. The old 3 screws 357 mag will bring 700 to 800 worn 550.

Boolit Master

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+6RD+44MAG+7.5
    I bough one at a gun show and the thing shot about 12" high at 25 yards. Put a Burris scope on it and never looked back. At that price I would go new. Ruger makes a fine gun.

Boolit Man
    Update on 3 screw.. I went back today. It's a 1972, all original, 4 click, no rust, and no cylinder drag marks. Also in original serial numbered box. His asking price is $750. I also noticed the black wide spur hammer is still clean black. Really doesnt look like it's ever been shot..

Boolit Master
    Figure the box at $120,,, and the gun at $565 according to the current price guide from the Red Eagle News Exchange. If it has the manual,,, add another $20. The brown book wrap shipper will add another $40.

Boolit Man
    So if I can get him down to $700 or below its a decent deal..? Also, can the 3 screw handle the same kind of pressure as the new models. I know the cylinder is unflutted.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky Montana View Post
    So if I can get him down to $700 or below its a decent deal..? Also, can the 3 screw handle the same kind of pressure as the new models. I know the cylinder is unflutted.
    The 'unflutted' [sic] cylinder is the norm for both three screw and later models. I don't think the action (three v. two screws) has an impact on the weapon's ability to handle pressure. If that were my primary concern I would buy a later model for less money and not pay a significant collector premium for a three screw model with a box.

Boolit Master

I thought the 7 1/2" .44Mag BlackHawk's were a bit rare. That most were made in 6 1/2" bbl. All the old model std .44Mags were discontinued at the changeover to the New Model with transfer bar. Only the SUPER BLACKHAWK'S with 7 1/2" bbl and then 10 1/2" bbl were made with the Dragoon Grip for almost 20 years, after the changeover.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Man
    I know the action has nothing to do with pressure strength. I just didn't know if even the OLD blackhawks could handle over SAMMI specs. I'm just trying to learn more about the pistol I might purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I thought the 7 1/2" .44Mag BlackHawk's were a bit rare. That most were made in 6 1/2" bbl. All the old model std .44Mags were discontinued at the changeover to the New Model with transfer bar. Only the SUPER BLACKHAWK'S with 7 1/2" bbl and then 10 1/2" bbl were made with the Dragoon Grip for almost 20 years, after the changeover.
    The original .44 Blackhawk was 6-1/2" and unfluted cylinder. As stated the Super Blackhawk introduced the dragoon grip/tg protected adj sight, and unfluted cylinder as well as 7.5" barrel. That one is pre(barely) New Model Super Blackhawk.
    You won't lose money on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My buddy has an OM .44Mag 6 1/2" with a fluted cylinder.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Ok, pressures.
    The OM 44 SUPER Blackhawk can handle the same pressures as the New Model Supers. The frame size is the same. In 1963,, the Flattops were discontinued,, and the frame size was "standardized" to where they can all handle "Ruger Only " loads & pressures. (This has nothing to do with the New Model Flattops,, as there have been changes to frame sizes in recent years.) We'll stick to OM's only here.
    The barrel lengths.
    The Super was introduced in 1959,, WHILE the Flattop 44 Blackhawk was still in production. The .44 Flattop was mostly built with a 6-1/2" bbl, while the Super started & stayed mostly with the 7-1/2" bbl. A 7-1/2" FT .44 is rarer,, and worth more,, as is the SUPER with a 6-1/2" bbl. The SUPER with the 6-1/2" bbl was made due to an error in 1967. If someone has a Super in 6-1/2" bbl,, it needs to be verified by a factory letter. So,,,, to address Walks comments,, if it says "Blackhawk" on the frame,, then the 6-1/2" is more likely correct. if it says "Super Blackhawk" on the frame,, then the serial number range for the rare ones is between 24300 to 27164. If his friends gun falls in between these numbers,, I'd spend the $10 for the factory letter. The value difference is significant,, ESPECIALLY if the gun letters & is in pristene condition.

If you are looking for a nice shooter,,, w/o worries about pressures,, you can buy that 1972 OM Super with confidence.

Boolit Master
    There are references to both "over SAAMI" and "Ruger-Only" in regards to pressure in this thread. To be clear this language should be limited to discussions of Ruger Blackhawk revolvers and 45 Colt cartridges, not 44 Remington Magnum.

Boolit Master
    Uhh,, this discussion is about the SUPER Blackhawk,,, in 44 magnum. The OP was asking about an OM Super. There is a bit of confusion about the Blackhawk in .44 Magnum,, which was built on the smaller FT frame from 1956 until 1963. I was trying to clarify this a bit. And,, to add to this,, the main frames of the OM Blackhawks, and OM Super Blackhawks built from 1963 until 1973 were the same size & strength.

I have an older model 44mag Blackhawk with a FLUTED CYLINDER. 6 1/2" barrel purchased used in the mid 70's. The cylinder blueing has a purplish color which I'm told is correct.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Man
    I will more than likely end up buying this 1972 SBH, and hopefully can get the price down to $700 or below. I look at it this way. Not only is it in excellent condition with original box, but unlike one I may find on line, this one I can actually hold and see. Where as judging one by pics on line there could be imperfections missed. I use to deal with a lot of old valuable die cast cars and trucks, and there was on fact that always held true. Regardless of what any price guide book may say, ANY COLLECTABLE is only worth what a collector is willing to pay. For me, even if I have to pay the full $750, I personally will be satisfied. I don't currently have a 3 screw in my single action collection, plus I love the old colt 4 click, load one, skip one, load four. This one is all original and in excellant shape. I'll be happy with it. Thanks for all you guys giving me more info on the old 3 screws. As always this forum is a great help.

Blacky

Boolit Master
    I am well aware that this is a (Super) Blackhawk thread. That is why terms such as "Ruger-only" and "over SAAMI pressure" are of concern.

OP: While none of us would take a rare unfired gen1 Colt and use it as a truck gun, the value of most Ruger collectibles are just not that high to deter anyone from buying one to use as an everyday gun if it is what you want. Go for it and don't look back. You could spend quite a bit of time trying to find another and if you were to resort to the internet shipping and transfer fees would have to be added even if you could fine a better deal on something - and that's not taking into account the confidence you have in this "bird in the hand".

Super Moderator

If it's really all original, and you really want it, I think you need to go for it. Last year I picked up a NIB "Ruger Old Army" and I don't regret that purchase one bit. I had been looking for one for a quite a while. They just don't make these guns any more, and they are becoming more scarce by the minute. If you do decide to get it, please keep us updated on how she shoots. Best of luck on your purchase.

Boolit Man
    Yes.. I don't want it for "collectors value". I want it to shoot. I just love the old models..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast