RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RE-IMPORT of S&W 10-5

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    @Petrol & Powder

I picked up a 10-8 with a heavy 4" barrel from Buds about 4 years ago that was a reimport from Australia. Based on the stickers it had on the frame, it was used by the Victoria police. It seemed to be lightly used, with some holster wear on the bluing. It is one of my fun guns at the range. Mainly fire light loads of Titegroup under a 158 gr LRN bullet. I picked up a couple of speed loaders and a belt pouch for them just in case I ever decided to carry it (but haven't so far). If SC ever passes open carry, I may just give it a try.

Marshall
    I am guessing, but I suspect that Mod. 10 went back when Victoria traded it in. I don't know for sure, but I have heard that Victoria went with the S&W semiautos and part of the deal was that S&W bought all the old Mod. 10s back.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    I recently picked up one of the imports back from France, they had been very slightly used by the French police. Mine is a 10-8 with a 4" heavy barrel & some very nice target stocks that were also made in France at one time. Buds had these a few months back at a very good price. Mine shoots great although the outside finish is a bit rough, not bad but the inside is almost like new.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master
    The reason for the relative lack of wear on the OP's example is that it was probably one of a group of firearms assigned to a station or precinct house that was put in the rack , but lived out it's duty life as a spare, waiting for one of the guns up the line to break, or for that day when all hands were called for an emergency, which never came.
    Most police officers outside of the US do not own their own firearms and do not take their firearms home, but return them to an armorer at the end of shift. The weapons are stored in the armory, until the officers return to duty, whereupon they re-issued a weapon. If there were a dozen guns in the rack, human nature being what it is, the first half dozen get issued to the same six beats or people, while the next couple are only occasionally issued and Tail-end Charley never leaves the station house at all and is only handled when inventoried and dusted.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have a excellent 10-2 of 1961 vintage. It is marked as belonging to Montreal police. It bears no re-import mark as that was not required prior to 1968.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S&W 10-2 (640x316).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    That's a nice one Char-Gar

As ubiquitous as the Model 10 is, I still think it is one of those "great guns".

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    That's a nice one Char-Gar

As ubiquitous as the Model 10 is, I still think it is one of those "great guns".
    I agree. I could live very well, if the only handgun I owned was a Model 10. I would still like to have a Colt 45 Auto and a good 22, but the Model10 will do.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    There was a slew of Aussie 681s reimported a few years ago.

I’m afraid the end of LEO trade-in revolvers is fast approaching.

Boolit Buddy
    Southern Ohio gun had them a few months ago, just checked website and they are out of business, closed

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I agree. I could live very well, if the only handgun I owned was a Model 10. I would still like to have a Colt 45 Auto and a good 22, but the Model10 will do.
    Yep, me too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12