RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: It Would Be An Inline

It Would Be An Inline

Wouldn't a scoped .45ACP bolt action make a great paper patch heavy boolit muzzleloader?

Boolit Master
    Never mind
    Last edited by bdicki; 11-29-2018 at 07:04 PM.

what?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    what?
    I was going to say something but decided not to.

Isn't that a Remington 700 UML?

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Wouldn't a scoped .45ACP bolt action make a great paper patch heavy boolit muzzleloader?
    The average case capacity of the .45 acp is approximately 26.7 grains of black powder by volume.
    If someone where to insert a primed .45 acp cartridge case into the chamber of their .45 acp center fire rifle and then load
    enough powder through the muzzle to fill the case and any extra space that may be present in the chamber/bore up to the rifling,
    and then ram a projectile down the muzzle, then it should work.

There's youtube videos of people firing shot loads that way using primed shot shells that have had the plastic portion cut off,
    simply using the primed base to fire the shotgun as a muzzle loader.

I'm not advocating it, but I don't see why such a .45 acp rifle set-up couldn't work as a muzzle loader.

However, I'm not sure how safe it would be to load heavy paper patched bullets.
    Perhaps more standard weight bullets with more modest powder charges would be in order since the bullet wouldn't be seated
    in the chamber or in the [strongest] part of the gun that's designed to hold the powder.
    Last edited by arcticap; 12-12-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Isn't that a Remington 700 UML?
    That was pretty much what I was thinking except of course that having a .45ACP bolt action would be OK too.
    Performance... reckon it would depend upon stock design, barrel length and personal fortitude.
    Twist rate, shallow grooves, all good.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 11-30-2018 at 08:13 PM.

When ever time is available I'd like to try this with a NEF .45 Colt rifle.
    The only mold I have at present for such is a Lyman #445599 but will be on the watch for a mold suitable for paper patch.
    The rifles have a 16" twist so heavies should work.

I tried this with my C.Sharps 45-70. I was trying to get patched to bore bullets to shoot, and I decided the freebore was giving me problems. To prove it I would load a primed case, then muzzle load enough powder to get past the freebore. It shot considerably better, as well as more powerful, and validated my theory. Muzzle loading a primed rifle made me sort of uneasy, but at least with an external hammer action you don't have to do it while it's cocked. Don't think I'd do that with a Ruger #1.

Boolit Master
    Is there a .45ACP bolt action out there? Or would you be custom-making this? If so, I gotta think you would do better going with something that is in fact a muzzle loader. They made .45 in-lines a while ago. At least you would have a stationary breech so you can prime after you're done loading. You wouldn't have a throat to deal with either (course with BP you'd probably bury it).

So, no, it doesn't sound like a great muzzleloader to me at all. I'd much rather have a .451 volunteer rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    Is there a .45ACP bolt action out there? Or would you be custom-making this? If so, I gotta think you would do better going with something that is in fact a muzzle loader. They made .45 in-lines a while ago. At least you would have a stationary breech so you can prime after you're done loading. You wouldn't have a throat to deal with either (course with BP you'd probably bury it).

So, no, it doesn't sound like a great muzzleloader to me at all. I'd much rather have a .451 volunteer rifle.
    There is. It's the Remington 700 UML. It uses what are essentially 45 acp cases and rifle primers. But has a breechplug so you can load it then put the primed case in.