RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how hard to re-bbl a ruger mk II 22

Boolit Master

how hard to re-bbl a ruger mk II 22

i recently picked up a ruger mk II 22 pistol,,,but with a 4.75 bbl...i think i'd like a 6" bull or heavy bbl. can bbl's be bought. ot do they have to be made ?
    how much work involved ?

blued, but a blackened ss would be ok for a bbl.

it shoots fine as is, just me.

thanks
    mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    I've been "piddling" with the Ruger 22 auto's for awhile.

Good luck finding a factory Bull Barrel in 5 1/2 or 6 7/8 or any other length for that matter!

I passed on a 5 1/2 bull about 18 years ago at a gun show at the old L.A. county fair grounds, the big three day one they don't do anymore, and I haven't seen another since!

Here's the deal: the barrels have the feed ramp built into them as well as an extractor cut so a bit of precision is required to make a new barrel for one of these.

Brownells used to catalog a replacement barrel by one of the big gunsmith guys but it was pricey!

If you only want to add a little weight and a better front sight what I've done is put the stripped reciever / barrel in the lathe and turned the taper off it ( this give you a straight tube about .515 in diameter) and then acraglassed a "fake" barrel the same diameter as the reciever over it! In the end it looks like a stock bull barrel.

If you want a longer barrel Numrich does sell the "Fixed" sight barrels in both 4 7/8 and 6 inches lengths you can do the same and get a 6 inch bull which the factory never made!

However these can be a hassle to put on!

In all Honesty the acraglassed "shrouded" barrel is the fastest least expensive way to go with these guns.

Call Ruger and ask them. If they tell you they'll replace it only if it is damaged, tell them it is damaged. And make it so before you ship it to them. Their prices are very low if they do it.

Boolit Buddy
    At one time Ruger would put any factory barrel on for you, I have had it done but was told that they no longer will do anything but exact factory replacement, so a call is needed. After market barrels have been available in the past but none of my current catalogs show any so I dont know, but if you find one, one of the biggest problems is getting the barrel off of the original reciever. Most Ruger barrels are a piece of cake. rifle, revolver etc. but those Mk 1 & 2's are sometimes a real bear and recievers have been damaged by those who dont know what they are doing, once off putting another factory barrel is easy, an after market barell will probably require a little machining to index properly

Boolit Buddy
    Mike, check with Clark custom guns, they show several factory take off barrels for sale on their web site

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Parson View Post
    Mike, check with Clark custom guns, they show several factory take off barrels for sale on their web site

WHERE ON THE SITE ??
    i went everywhere i could see......where are the take offs listed...

thanks
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    WHERE ON THE SITE ??

thanks
    mike
    http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/takeoffs.htm

Boolit Buddy
    Click on "take off parts"

Boolit Master
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

dragonrider beat me to what I was going to post while reading through. I would like to see one of the packlite units installed and get to shoot it.

Boolit Master
    The Pac Lite's are cool no doubt about it!

Sadly these are sold as a "complete" reciever package which means you have to buy a new gun to get a Pac lite barrel!

I'm not interested in having a pistol with two serial numbers!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    WHERE ON THE SITE ??

thanks
    mike

i got it.
    when i went to the site and used the pull down menus, the last one had a non-gun name so i passed on it, yet when it was opened...it showed the takeoff button....very strange labeling.
    thanks, i'll call them on monday.

mike

Boolit Master
    Heavy Metal,
    The barrel/receiver unit on your Ruger comes off as one piece in less than 5 minutes and replace it with the pac lite unit. One doesn't replace just the barrel on the Mark II as it is too easy to damage the reciever.
    Paul G.

-- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Dragonrider:

I have heard that the MKI and II barrels can be tough to get off, but I saw an article in either Homeshop Machinist or Machinest's Workshop, I forget which, in which a fixed sight mkI had the barrel removed and a liner installed then reinstalled to the receiver. It wasn't a problem to get off but it was not something to be attemped in the high school auto shop class either.

My issue with the Pac lite barrel, and it's a good unit I've seen a few, is that it is an expensive answer to a simple problem. Plus the fact that it is treated exactly as a firearm, because of the location of the serial number, winds up leaving the customer with 1 and 1/2 guns that must be treated as two guns!

I may call Clark on Monday myself just to see what they have in stock. The BIL wants something different on his MK I the 4.75 inch fixed sight barrel is nothing to right home about!

A cheaper alternative might be to put a scope or Red Dot sight on it as is. Mounts are not too expensive, they don't require altering the gun. So if he doesn't like it, he can take the scope and mount off and sell them, no money lost, nothing changed. And with the .22 LR, an extended eye relief pistol scope is not required, an inexpensive 4X .22 scope shot using the "Taco Stance" works fine; A Red Dot scope can be shot that way or in the normal pistol (extended) style.
    Last edited by Scrounger; 12-19-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Scrounger:
    Nice pistols! However both of these started life as Target models with 6 inch plus barrels to boot!

The handling quaility of these pistols is way above a standard fixed sight 4.75 inch barreled gun! Figuring out how to improve that "ballance" is why switching barrels is considered by many and done by few! The addition of sighting packages, such as yours, really throws the short barreled guns off!

As Dragonrider said not to many options and the Pac Lite is a good choice If your prepared to spend the money and deal with the extra parts you have left over that consitute a gun!

Me personelly? I'm gonna buy me a barrel and find out just how hard this is!

My thoughts on this? A man screwed it on so a man should be able to screw it off! No magic! Just some reasonable care and TLC, not dynamite and a 60 ton press!

Boolit Master
    well folks ...i may have fixed the problem today
    i'm on the election commitee at my range and the election was today. i was there from 9 to 2. bought 200 pcs of new un primed 357 cases a guy brought to sell. reading the bulletin board..discovered....guess....a 5.5 bull bbl in ss( i really wanted blue)...but no price, just best offer.
    so i called the guy , he was out, called back, arranged to see the gun...he lived about 2 miles from me. bs'd for a half hour about guns and politics, the gun is 1991 near new, in the box with original recpt. he had an offer, i bumped it by 25 bucks and he said yes.

so problem solved.......

sorta.....
    now the math says i need to sell the first gun.....i hate selling guns.....lol

they want $125 to change a bbl a $60 bbl !......that is ten bucks more than i paid for the new gun!
    life is good.

thanks

mike
    Last edited by mike in co; 10-05-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    HM, true enough the pac lite units are expensive. And all so true removing a barrel should be accomplished with care. I would attempt it with two fixtures much like barrel vises used to remove a rifle barrel, one for the barrel and one for the reciever should do the trick.
    Paul G.

-- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Mike:
    As I've always said pateinece is a virtue!

Dragonrider:
    The guy in the magazine article did exactly: that a strong barrel vise to hold the barrel and a special tool he made to go on the recevier!

I figure a little Kroil and some time to let it work plus this gives me a chance to make tools I have been wanting and I think I can get this done with no sweat.

BY the way 125 to change a barrel is not unreasonable! I had a 32 special barrel swapped out on a pre war model 94 winchester last year and paid 75 to get it done plus the cost of the barrel.

Boolit Master
    well i was think three tools . an inner tool to match the recvr internals, and exterior recvr tool with maybe a bolt thru the ejection port to the internal tool, and then a bbl tool/vice.

thanks
    mike in co

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast