WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bubba strikes again.

Boolit Master

Bubba strikes again.

Stop in at the shop, also sell ethanol free gas, and sandwiches. Sells and trades alot. Took in a 6in 629 stainless classic on trade. It may well be true its only had 2 shells put thru it. $1100 out the door special ordered from his dad who used to run it. Got $500 in trade. See if I can post a pics, bubba etched his name on the frame under the cylinder. Looks like my 10 yo did it. E E S, deep enough you'll never get it out. Really nice gun, sure feels new. Unless anyone here has the same initials, might work out.

Boolit Master
    Ouch!
    See how it shoots and whether it's worth changing your name.

That's my favorite S&W.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    People that do things like that would take spray paint to the Sistine Chapel, I swear it.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I got a 16 ga. double barrel in a poker game back in the late 70's. The owner had engraved his full name in the side plate. I ended up giving it to my father and he used it for many years. He thought he would do the same, so his name is engraved under Mr. Stevens name on the 311 ( Savage Stevens) . It will be passed on to one of his grandsons after I am gone and I hope with the engraving, it will always stay in the family as the value is limited..

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your fine purchase! A(nother) friend/shooting buddy passed about a year ago, and from many moons' kidding about it, I was offered his 629 classic. No bargain, either... a fair price. Mine is the blued version which came in a wooden box, along with an aluminum cleaning rod, S&W Screwdriver, and a brush. Had I been shopping/buying "new" I probably would have sought the stainless version as you lucked into -- congrats again! -- but, as Hickok45 on YouTube may times stated in his video on this revolver -- it hits every time exactly where you point it! I know I love mine, albeit I shoot primarily .44 S&W Specials loadings behind cast bullets.
    Hey -- should you ever decide to sell the revolver, you have a story -- the E E S etching -- to complement it!
    BEST!
    geo

Can always engrave a rectangle over it to take out name. Probably not as deep as you think.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yes, too bad folks do these things. Guess it would be a plus if it was an 1851 Navy engraved with "Wm. Hickock", or a Police Positive marked "J. Edgar Hoover." I've run across a number of ordinary pieces marked in various ways, always kind of sloppily, and usually with an electric pencil. Some of the inscriptions, names, social security numbers, driver license numbers, etc. can be removed but it usually involves refinishing the entire gun, which in and of itself usually lowers the value. I've got two S&W M&P revolvers bearing police officer's names and badge numbers, fairly well done, but since they weren't famous it does nothing but add nostalgia and still lowers the value. Still, kind of historical, and I'd probably buy another if it came my way. I can see how really neat it would be for someone to buy a nice firearm and have their name engraved neatly upon it, followed by all subsequent owners within the family, but how does one know who will follow and if they'll even be interested in continuing the heirloom. In the case of the S&W 686 under discussion, I think Hanloader109 has a good solution.

Boolit Buddy
    Check around, there are company's that do micro laser welding.

They can place a layer of steel over the custom engraving. then the weld can be dressed off

and finished.

Boolit Master
    I have always wanted a Colt Diamondback but not willing to pay collector money to shoot it. Well, a friend came across one, had past owners initials "engraved" on the right side. 1/2 inch hi letters like on a bowling trophy! I said something to the effect that ruined any collector value, he replied "can I get 450$?", I replied with a check ! Sometimes I can tolerate it. Now to find a new sideplate
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I have always wanted a Colt Diamondback but not willing to pay collector money to shoot it. Well, a friend came across one, had past owners initials "engraved" on the right side. 1/2 inch hi letters like on a bowling trophy! I said something to the effect that ruined any collector value, he replied "can I get 450$?", I replied with a check ! Sometimes I can tolerate it. Now to find a new sideplate
    That Colt side plate is on the left side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master

all the guns I got from my grandfather have his name etched on them, always in a hidden spot like under the grips or someplace that the stock covers. makes it easy to prove ownership when stolen.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Newborn, guess that explains why I didn't find one. Never really bothered as I just wanted to see if the shot as well as they looked. This one has bigger throats than my Smiths so I haven't fooled with it much. But shooting as cast wc I am a happy ugly gun owner.
    On the 629, Dave Clements removes roll marks from the GP100s he converts to 41, could do the same on your 629. I don't want to bother with the refinish on the blued Diamondback.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I didn't buy it, already have 2 guns on layaway at the same shop. I expect there are ways of fixing it. If you could get the cylinder out, could use a fine file remove most of it. But requires taking it apart, removing screws. All acts that collectors would pick at. I have a S&W that was 'ruined' when S&W reblued the gun in 1919.

Just seems theres more than a few people out there who should not be allowed to own anything sharp or tools. Can almost imagine, its some kid, yea hes gonna get a 44 mag, show off. Until he touched off 2 rounds, and did not like the recoil. Then probably took it a few places and did not understand why it lost value etching his initials in it.

Its just not a gun someone is going to pay full value for. Same shop has a 410 mossberg I was looking at for my son. Wait why is it beat up its new? Someones kids running around knocked over a rack of guns. Scuffed up the barrel and side of receiver around the ejection port. Its new, but you aint gettin new price for it.

I'm sure if I did want it I could get a deal on it. Really really nice gun, but mostly a toy as only thing I would shoot it at is targets. Shop says he has about $500 in it, value of the rifle and ammo they got in trade. Imagine he wants to make a couple bucks anyways. Guess its still worth 6 with some morons initials etched into the frame.

Moderator Emeritus

(JUST a "tongue in cheek" note: At a recent gun show I attended, I saw a few M1 Carbines, and a 1903 Springfield -- maybe four rifles of a short-twenty offering -- which commanded EXTRA money due to their "added" adornments. The Springfield had a 3"x 5" card on it pointing to a stamp showing Elmer Keith had ok'd it. The carbines had stencil-painted on numbers which, I'm sure, are meaningful and worth more money to collectors (I have NO idea?) -- but it remains, with proof to me at this show -- that initials do not always lower a firearms value
    geo )

Boolit Master
    There are collectors and collectors. Of course, a pristine factory specimen will always have a following, but some people like “honest wear” and don’t even mind the “personal touch,” though the asking price should reflect this.

I have a Ballard with an owner’s name stamped on the bottom flat of the barrel and the date 1910. By that date, it was certainly a “used gun,” but obviously was someone’s pride & joy, regardless. Once the hand stamping passed its 100th anniversary, it just became part of the rifle’s antique-y Coolness.

Just have patience. Another 100 years and people will be searching the net trying to find out who E E S was.

Boolit Master
    Its the crudity of it, not the initials. It looks really poorly done, obvious it was a moron with one of those cheap engravers, letters are not same size, or straight, or anything. Im sure it shoots really good and only ever see it if the cylinder is open. Just have to question the intelligence of people. Ill ask the shop what kind of deal make me on it. Guess first thing I would do is take out the stupid internal lock.

Don’t worry about . It’s on the bottom of the frame. If it shoots good, who cares

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Don’t worry about . It’s on the bottom of the frame. If it shoots good, who cares
    That's not the issue, come on who here is gonna pay full price for a gun someone did this to? People want reduced prices over way less, and easily fixed things.

I looked you can buy a NEW one, same model off Buds for $849. It is used, so what $150 off easy? Another $100 for the bubba work. Some less reputable places would just hope you didn't notice and try to get full price. Dealer has 5 bills in it, $600 is still a decent profit.

Boolit Master
    Might be simpler to change your name
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Might be simpler to change your name
    Edward Everett Sloan has a nice ring to it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast