WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Graf & Sons
StainLess Steel MediaRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ky doe and buck down last week, long story!

Boolit Master

Ky doe and buck down last week, long story!

Well this is a long story to begin with. I had hip replacement surgery 9-26-17, and had to go back in 10-17-17 and have some work done on it due MRSA. Fast forward to this year, Mrsa reared its ugly head again, had to have my metal hip taken out, and a plastic one put in with time released antibiotics, for 3 months. I am on IV's, 2x a day, antibiotics to kill out the bacterial infection. Had surgery on 10-26-17, spent one week in the hospital, 2 weeks in rehab, then back home on Saturday, had 7 days of deer season, either sex here in KY left. I was two week the first 2 days, but managed to get in my truck on Monday and go hunt some fields, 2-3 hours at a time, all I could stand, due to having 120 staples in my hip. I cannot put any weight on the hip until I get the new one put back in. On Tuesday of last week, I went up to a small field where I have killed several deer in the past with my bow. The wife killed a 7 pt last year, and a 9 pt this year, just inside the woodline, and she had seen several does up there. I pulled in and had just cut the engine, when a big fat doe runs out in the field and sees me, then goes behind some brush, at about 70 yds. All I could see was a 4" hole she was looking at me thru, and another one showing about 8"of her neck, so I flipped the safety off my 6.5x55 Swede I built in 1985, put the crosshair on the neck, and bang,flop, DRT! I called a friend who was hunting about 2 miles away and he came and loaded her up, and took it home and processed it for me, I gave him half of the meat, she went#110 gutted!

I hunted every evening until the last 2 days. On this past Saturday, I was hunting in , my neighbors hay field which is 20 acres and roughly pentagon in shape. He and I regularly shoot our long range guns their, and I was intimately aware of all the yardages in the field. About4:00pm, I was hurting something fierce, having sat there for 2 hours. I was feeling sorry for myself, and asked God to take away the pain, and give me a shot at any buck no matter how small, and let my aim be true, for a quick recovery. My pain eased off after that and about 4:40 out trots 3 does, at a tree I had ranged at 510 yds. I saw they were all does, and no shooting as I had done filled my doe gun only tag. They dallied around for 2 minutes, then looking back over their shoulders they took off back in the woods. 3 minutes later I see another flash of white, and I get my sandbag set up, between my side mirror that I had pulled back to the door and rolled my window up the same height, with about 2" of if sticking up. I got a real good crosshairs on him, and as I had a 300yd zero, I held the cross hair right on his back, took a breath and touched the trigger off, and I see a bush behind him move, and I think I see a red spot 2" behind his shoulder dead center, but he just continues rubbing the tree. Then he raises his head and flags, turns angling away. I had already worked another round in and holding about 2" above the spine, I shot and he double mule kicked, a sure sign of a good hit in the vitals! With 2 jumps he was in the woods, so I called the wife to bring a 100' of robe and a light as it was fading fast. Just inside the woods, it drops off steep, and the wife went about 20yds over the hill, then started around the hill on a old log road and the wife started finding huge blood trails out of both sides, this went on for 100yds, and he came out ight behind my blind I had set up, about 100' behind it. The wife took the rope down and tied it off, she guided it up the hill as I pulled it with the 4 wheeler. I called another buddy who came and got it for me. This was my longest shot ever on a deer, and even though he was a 4pt, he is a true trophy to me!

Vendor Sponsor

Congrats for a wonderful story and a clean kill ..its just fun to sit in the woods after all the bad days and then to get a kill is icing on the cake
    I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

PULSAR night vision and thermal dealer !!!
    PM me for a good deal

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Thanks Smoke. I have hunted with this rifle for nearly 30 years, started out as a Carl Gustaffs 96 Mauser, unissued, I turned the barrel down, cut it back from 29 to 24", recrowned it, drilled and tapped it, bent the bolt, and glass bedded it in a Ramline stock. When I got everything done, I parkerized it and the refiled mounts and rings, a Grey phosphate Parkerizing. It is worn some from all the hunting, but still puts them in the same tight 1/2" group it always have, after thousands of rounds, target shooting, varmint and groundhog hunting, crow and coyote hunting the tales it could tell. I shoot a Sierra 120 sp at 3000fps, with no [pressure signs and three inches high at 100 has me dead on at 300.

Boolit Master

Nice shooting koger. Just wondering if you have a special type of hunting license. I've not heard of a doe gun only tag in Ky.

Boolit Master
    here in zone 3, you can only kill one doe with ML or modern rifle, you have to kill the other 2 in archery season.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    here in zone 3, you can only kill one doe with ML or modern rifle, you have to kill the other 2 in archery season.
    Ok got it I forgot about the zone restrictions. I suppose you could still hunt in a zone 1 county and get two more does but hopefully you've got enough meat already

Boolit Bub
    Nice story Koger and awesome shooting. Glad some good came your way after all your hardships.

As a kid I used to spend some weeks during the summer do your way. I had some family that lived in an area called Span hill. Sure miss those days beautiful country down there.

Boolit Master
    Yep, Spann hill is about 4-5 miles out of town, I live about 8 the other side of town. Nice rolling farm land, big strips of woods in between, and steep hollers made by the lake. I love it here, lived here all my life! What were your family names, I know about everyone in these here parts to one degree or another.