Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Custom ear plugs

Boolit Grand Master

Custom ear plugs

Has anyone tried any of the custom, at home, ear plug kit?????
    Suggestions on what is good or not.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't have the at home ones but got a pair of custom from hearing place for both my son and I. With the fitting process I am not sure how could of an impression you would get trying to do it yourself. Good luck.

Ron

I've had about a dozen pairs made and none of them were as effective as the waxed foam stuff. The best ones I ever had were Radians 31 dB rated that some fellow gave me while I was looking for my muffs. Naturally, I put them back in the sleeve when I started to leave the range and lost them before I got home to buy some more. They were smoothly molded and quite heavily wax impregnated. Mostly I end up using EAR punched foams and tossing them after a single use. I think they are rated 29 dB which doesn't sound like much but dB is a logrithmic scale so 2 dB is 4X quieter.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master

Mmmm...I've had my 'industrial-grade' plugs for over 20 years and they're every bit as effective as any muffs I've ever owned. These weren't from a 'home' kit, however, but were 'poured' and fitted by a plant-safety tech. Downside to them is that I can really only use them when I'm shooting by myself 'cause they block out any conversation short of someone hollering over my shoulder.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 11-28-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

i tried the home ones once, didnt find them very good. go see an audiologist if you want custom fitted plugs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks
    I'm using those Christmas tree looking plugs now Along with electronic muffs.
    I guess my ear holes are cock-eyed.
    One side is bigger than the other.
    So one side plug, works better than the other.
    Thought maybe the custom ones might work better.
    I have tried the foam, throw away, ones.
    Ears didn't like them.

Do yourself and anyone that you care to hear a favor and splurge on the ones from a real audiologist.

Nobody likes to keep repeating everything they say to you.

The constant ringing never stops, leads to stress, which leads to early health problems and downhill from there.

The molded ones are really that much better in my experience. I started using them about twenty years ago, which was about twenty years too late. I would gladly pay many thousands of dollars to be able to hear you speak and have the ringing gone. Unfortunately, no amount of money will solve either of those problems.

You deserve them.

Boolit Master

I have a set of molded ear plugs that were made for me at a big USPSA match. They're of the do-it-yourself type by someone that made them for many shooters, made of a catalyzed silicone. They fit very well and do an excellent job of reducing noise. They're not really a one person project IMO. If making a set myself I would want someone else to help. When shooting trap if I get them in perfectly I only hear a "tick" when the gun goes off. Surprisingly, perceived recoil is reduced when there is virtually no sound. It helps to moisten them with a little siliva before putting them in. I know; gross sounding but most of the people I know that use them do it and it makes a huge difference in the seal. After having them for about 10 years I now use them primarily for trap and cowboy action shooting. For USPSA pistol shooting I prefer electronic ear protection that allows conversation and hearing the range officer's commands. They're great for hunting as well. If I'm alone they amplify the sounds around me and if hunting with someone else it allows us to communicate with the faintest of whispers that deer don't notice at 85 yards.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris