Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Fixed 1 Computer Problem

Boolit Master

Fixed 1 Computer Problem

I posted a while back that I was having problems getting to 2 online games
    I was also hearing strange sound every once in a while , sort of bearing going out sound
    But that sound only lasted a few seconds
    It got worse , as I had to restart my computer to get back to 3 games and 4 other websites

Well then I started getting a black screen sometimes and the strange sound started happening a lot
    I would have to push the power button and restart a number of times
    After 1 day of that

I had enough and took it to a computer repair place

In a day he figured out AVG had messed up Windows 10 and a display program by locking several parts of the programs and not letting them update
    He took out AVG and told me he is getting 2-3 people a week with the same problem .... but with a number of anti virus programs
    He thinks AVG and the others aren't keeping up with the Windows updates
    Also he thinks Windows wants us to just use Defender , not others

I picked it up this afternoon
    Hooked everything up and ...... Great , I can get back to every website
    The display program worked

Well I went duck hunting and left the computer on to update a program
    I got home and I had another Black screen
    But the program was updated

I restarted the computer and still had the black screen and the sound
    I restarted again ..... but I guess I was just a bit mad and smacked the side of the computer

OMG the sound went away and the computer started
    LOL Not the best way of working on a computer
    But it worked
    So IMO the hard drive might be messed up and IMO maybe something loose

So I guess I will take the computer back to "FIX" more stuff ....Grrrrr

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

If it's the hard drive put an SSD in it. You'll love it.
    On another note you might try version of Linux.
    Just a suggestion. You can try Linux with out installing it and no changes to your machine.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Grand Master

Fixed 1 Computer Problem

Microsoft has been royally screwing up updates lately. Both software and hardware wise. There’s a bunch of driver issues w/ some Intel products. I’m in the market for a new laptop but have been holding off because of all the issues. I hope you haven’t had any data loss. Because that’s been one of the major issues.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    . I hope you haven’t had any data loss. Because that’s been one of the major issues.
    Some data was lost
    But I did a back up of all my games and data files the day before

Almost everything I lost is on the "My Passport" I use for back up

Hope to sort this mess out ASAP

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Some times the bearings in the cooling fans will get dry and start making noises.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Buddy
    The last time windows 10 did an update it took a long time on the restart. There was a black screen for about 2-3 minutes. It would make you think nothing is working, but you just have to wait it out, then everything was 'normal'. (Windows 10 normal).

Boolit Buddy
    There is only one situation in which kicking a computer might make it work again. That is if you have standard hard drive and reading head gets stuck or doesnt reset home correctly. That might make it work again for short while and I mean very short as in backup your stuff right now before you turn it off. Problem with this theory is that bad hard drive wont actually cause blank screen and will at least show post followed by no OS found error.

Usually blank screen with beep codes means other hardware issues. Every motherboard manufacturer has a list of bios beep codes that will explain where the problem is and you should be able to find it on the internet. There are only few components needed to post (show bootup process on screen) so if your screen is dark and your hearing beep codes its probably either your motherboard, CPU, memory or video card if not integrated with motherboard.

As for the PC tech and anti virus being the cause. After working in IT for over 20 years I can tell you that unless I can replicate your issue on regular basis I wouldnt claim to have anything fixed. There are many want to be PC tech, System Admins and Network Admins that have no clue what they are doing and blame everything on some strange virus / antivirus issue. In this case it doesnt sound to me that virus or anti virus is your problem.

On the other hand though i cant tell you that unless your PC is only one or two years old or its something custom build its probably not worth fixing. Desktop PCs and even laptops are very cheap and there are always deals everywhere on those.

Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electric problem...

Boolit Master

"very cheap" to you might not be very cheap to me. My PC is over 8 years old and it works fine, just need to update things once in a while, like using an SSD drive. Laptops are even more expensive, especially if you get a nice one. As far as the noise in the computer, electrons are pretty quiet, so it is probably either a fan or the Hard Drive. Power supplies have fans also, might be that . Anti-Virus programs don't make any noise.

You might want to check / replace the fan on the graphics card and the CPU. If they don't work correctly and under heavier load like with a modern game, the processors could overheat causing the outages. The fans aren't that expensive to replace.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    You might want to check / replace the fan on the graphics card and the CPU. If they don't work correctly and under heavier load like with a modern game, the processors could overheat causing the outages. The fans aren't that expensive to replace.
    this is what I was thinking too. Fans make noise when they are going, too much heat can cause boot issues and the video card is also sensitive to heat. Modern video card has a bigger fan than a P2 processor from the old days. Typically fans will exist for case, video card, cpu, and power supply. And yes thumping them can start them spinning again. The heat of a modern cpu chip under load can fry in a second so many have a temp sensor that will shut down the processor if temp goes above threshold.

Used to be some hardware identification, testing and monitoring software freely available. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Would tell you the temp for any component that had a sensor. When I did LAN administration we would mostly use it to discover hardware make & model in order to download correct drivers. Or performance test tweaks
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

You can't mess up Windows 10 . It was messed up to begin with !

Moderator Emeritus

reseat the video card(if it use an add on and not one on board), remove and reseat the ram... use canned air to blow the sockets out. Some computers monitor the fans and if one quits it will do a beep error, kicking it might free a stuck fan...