MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which? Again. Blackhawk vs Vacquero

Banned

swapped for altamont faux ivory grips, she's a shooter.

Vendor Sponsor

I split the powerband between 45 ACP and Ruger Only 45 Colt with this Vaquero, having a 45 ACP cylinder reamed to 45 Schofield. Ruger gave us a FINE "tier 2" platform with the medium framed Vaquero and flattop Blackhawk, but there isn't any published data that will yield +P "tier 2" loads in 44 Special or 45 Schofield so I used QuickLOAD to develop loads that will use a 250gr LBT WFN boolit to 1200fps, and still stay under the 23,000psi pressure ceiling for the gun, which is 45 ACP+P pressure, this is what the medium frame 45 is rated for.

The medium framed 44 Special, although it is not published, is good for 25,000psi and you can take this load right up to the back door of the 44 magnum with the proper load development. I'd love to have a flattop 44 one of these days!

I am getting a LOT more enjoyment out of this mid length 45 cartridge than I am either the 45 ACP or 45 Colt loadings. It's snappy loaded to 23,000 but not sharp and I could shoot it all day. This is now my go to deer gun for the thick woods where shots are often 20yds or less. 250gr flying soup can at 1200fps? PERFECT for whitetail!

Last edited by DougGuy; 12-18-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234