Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which? Again. Blackhawk vs Vacquero

Boolit Master
    No issue in general with fixed sights vs adjustable - pluses and minuses with each. General preference for adjustable. A fixed sighted packing pistol with one general purpose load is practical. Beware: fixed sights on stainless can be very difficult in bright light.

Boolit Master
    I bought the Blackhawk instead of the Vaquero. Where does your next purchase fit in your existing herd? I have a bunch of Colt’s so the Vaquero would just be put out out to pasture if I brought one home. My Blackhawk -it has a purpose, I’m going to be taking it out today.

If you have neither then your question should be which one are you going to buy first.

Boolit Master
    right now today I would take the vaquero because I like the small frame. my first center fire pistol was a old model Blackhawk. so I like the small frame. I still have that Blackhawk. so if you want a good handling pistol I would say the small frame gun would be better.

Boolit Master

Well, most of what I post here is what I think and I suspect that most of it is ignored, but, here goes.

I always thought that a hand gun should feel good in my hand and point true and natural in the direction you want it to point.
    If a person were honest with themselves they would agree with that. The plow handle grips of the regular Blackhawk does not lend itself to pointing naturally in the direction you want it to shoot. To illustrate my point, take your Blackhawk and close your eyes, place the gun in your hand and when it feels good in your hand raise it up to shoulder level. Open your eyes and tell me that the barrel of that gun is not pointed up.
    The Bisley grip on the other hand is a more natural pointer and will not try to twist out of your hand under recoil. The handgun with the Bisley grip will absorb the recoil better then the plow handle grips that were designed for low recoil black powder cartridges.
    Myself, I'd choose the Bisley grip because it just feels right for me.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    OP, you never really state what you are going to use the gun for. This is like asking, "Which should I buy, a sports car or a sedan?" Both do similar jobs and in many cases share many of the same mechanical parts. The final decision must include the intended application. The lockwork and and 90%+ of the frame would be identical for the V & BH, the sights are the only discernible difference, and again it comes to application to determine what your needs are there. JMHO and probably worth what you paid for it!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Vaquero for me, mechanical stuff loosens or moves over time, but not the rear sight on a vaquero!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Vaquero for me, mechanical stuff loosens or moves over time, but not the rear sight on a vaquero!
    My sentiments exactly.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    My first handgun was an Old Model Blackhawk in .357 Magnum, and I've had a couple more over the years. I got them to shoot pretty accurately. If you're wanting to squeeze accuracy out of a handgun, than get one of those. If you're looking just for a gun to plink with or not really do all that much shooting with, get a Vaquero.
    This was the last .357 Blackhawk I had, I shot these playing cards from a rest at 50 yards to win a bet with my handloads.

Don't think Vaqueros aren't accurate though.

This Vaquero was in .45 Colt but it shot really well out to 40 yards, it would keep all the rounds well within a pie plate. Not bad for fixed sights.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post

Yep, and that stationary rear sight will continue to put 'em all 2-4" left or right at 25 yds till hell freezes over. It's not the trajectory that matters, it's the windage...and that, brothers, is a RPITA to fix. Get the adjustable sights...contrary to opinion, they don't move by themselves, drift or whatever...short of falling off horseback in rocky terrain, you're GTG with any reputable adj. rear sight.

Rod

Boolit Master

if I have a revolver that shoots windage, I remove it.

Either by adjusting the dovetail front sight if it has one, or by rotating the barrel until it is perfect. My fixed sight gunds don't have windage problems.

Everything else however....

Quote Originally Posted by Rodfac View Post
    Yep, and that stationary rear sight will continue to put 'em all 2-4" left or right at 25 yds till hell freezes over. It's not the trajectory that matters, it's the windage...and that, brothers, is a RPITA to fix. Get the adjustable sights...contrary to opinion, they don't move by themselves, drift or whatever...short of falling off horseback in rocky terrain, you're GTG with any reputable adj. rear sight. Rod
    The first few years I really got into shooting SA's, including a New Vaquero, I used to think "they" shot left or right (mostly left)and was constantly heating and whacking on front sights. But the more I shot, the more I came to realize that the windage issues were caused by the trigger, more specifically, the ol' boy mashing the trigger.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I had a couple Vaqueros when I played the CASS game. Turn the barrel, file the front sight and they can be spot on with one or more loads. I for one would like a single action with a wider front blade and a dovetailed rear sight for genuine rough use.

I have a 4 5/8” SBH that is wonderfully accurate but two years ago I was lumbering thru our pantry after a day out hunting and whacked the rear sight against a metal table breaking the blade in half. I ordered a new blade from Ruger, a holster that protects the sight better from Simply Rugged and finished up hunting season carrying my 629 Mountain Gun. Bowen makes a “Rough Country” rear sight that is pretty stout, it might be a good idea if you “lumber” thru life.

Boolit Buddy
    Not the same gun I know but they have the same sights. I've got a single six I've carried around for 30 years. The one time I had to replace the rear sight is because I was fooling around around with it and doing the fancy spinning stuff and dropped it. That was 25 years ago or so. I was a lot dumber than. Carry it a good holster and it will be fine. More versatility. Even if you only use one load I like options. My .2

Banned

as usual, the objects in question are loaded with subjectivity and it will always come down to personal wants, needs, opinions, and preferences.

i have a hankering for a single action centerfire that will be more accurate than my old eyes, and the answer for me was easy - it'll be a blued ruger NMBH 6.5" in .357mag - ymmv.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have several of both, but prefer the old model Vaquero. It just feels better in the hand and will shoot most anything I want to shoot. I like to bang steel and I like to also shoot cards, but nothing over 25 yards, so the Vaquero gets the nod. My BH's aren't for sale though. 'Still like them too.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Of the choices I’d take the super Blackhawks as it’s a tank and if I had to used it for sd and couldn’t cock it in time I’d just beet them with it it’s that rugged

Banned

i can only blame this thread for making me order one of these bad boys ...

... thanx guys!

Boolit Grand Master
    I get led astray from time to time as well, rfd.

I have a Colt SA, Uberti SAs, and Ruger Blackhawk SA's in the safe, and they get shot with frequency. I don't find fixed sights to be a significant disadvantage compared to the adjustables. I far prefer fixed sights in a defensive sidearm, but SA revolvers don't figure highly in that equation--SAs are fun/sport guns for me.

I have no experience with the Ruger Vaquero series of revolvers of any vintage. For certain, the Colt and their Uberti clones are lighter and more compact than the BHs. But that is a sword that cuts in both directions--light and compact might not mesh well with higher-yield 357 Magnum loads using heavy-for-caliber bullets. My Bisley Blackhawk absorbs some stalwart loadings with manageable recoil, and SAAMI-spec 158 grain JHPs are docile in that big beast. The Colt 32/20, Uberti 44/40, and Uberti 45 Colt are about perfect with standard BP-level loads being run through them. The Uberti 357s I have fired with SAAMI loads had a bit more recoil than I care to endure for a full day of shooting--to compare, I routinely shoot SAAMI-level 357s through my S&W 686 x 4 and the Bisley BH for extended time periods, and enjoy doing so very much. FWIW.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 12-09-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

A Blackhawk is a more practical revolver. It will do anything a Vacquero will do plus. The biggest plus is the ability to adjust sights for different loads. Fixed sight guns are good for one load and have a
    poor sight picture for shooting at longer ranges. Let's face it fixed sight SAs and DAs were both made to shoot at fairly close rang and mostly with people as targets. Target models became available with
    adjustable sight very soon after cartridges were in use. Hunting or target loads can be adjusted for
    with out bending of filing the gun.

If you are only shooting cowboy the 38/357 is the way to go. I had one with the 9mm cylinder, but the 9mm was never very accurate except with jacketed.
    I have a Ruger Bisley 44 Special and if you are hunting the 44 Special is the bees knees. I personally like the Bisley grip.

Fixed sights can be great if you only shoot one load and you can set them on. I want adjustable sights on anything not used for SSS (Serious Social Shooting)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast