Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which? Again. Blackhawk vs Vacquero

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Eutectic45 View Post
    If you are only shooting cowboy the 38/357 is the way to go. I had one with the 9mm cylinder, but the 9mm was never very accurate except with jacketed.
    I have a Ruger Bisley 44 Special and if you are hunting the 44 Special is the bees knees. I personally like the Bisley grip.

Fixed sights can be great if you only shoot one load and you can set them on. I want adjustable sights on anything not used for SSS (Serious Social Shooting)
    The 9mm cylinder can be rechambered to .38 S&W if you want a smaller case to use for light Cowboy loads.

Manson makes the reamer .380 Rook Rifle (using .38 S&W case) Rev. 11/17, chamber very similar to Ruger India Model Police Service Six. Unable to attach the .pdf drawing here, but if you want it PM me.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-09-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    A Blackhawk is a more practical revolver. It will do anything a Vacquero will do plus. The biggest plus is the ability to adjust sights for different loads. Fixed sight guns are good for one load and have a
    poor sight picture for shooting at longer ranges. Let's face it fixed sight SAs and DAs were both made to shoot at fairly close rang and mostly with people as targets. Target models became available with
    adjustable sight very soon after cartridges were in use. Hunting or target loads can be adjusted for
    with out bending of filing the gun.
    Not necessarily. I personally prefer the ruggedness of fixed sights and am leery of adjustable sights with their little screws and springs. I have a few revolvers with adjustable sights and the only real advantage they have, in some cases, is a slightly better sight picture. As far as the ability to adjust sights, I'll ask again- Do you really carry a screwdriver with you when you shoot and twiddle with the sights when changing loads??

If you'll refer back to post #19, you'll see two groups I fired, both at 75 yds., ~300 fps difference in MV between the loads, both with the same sights settings. One is a plinking/practice load, the other is a hunting load. There's not enough difference in POI's to spit at. Another example of target load vs. hunting load and decent groups shot at 50 yds. with fixed sights-

Practice load-

Hunting load-

Stretching it out further yet, showing the small difference in POI's of practice loads and hunting loads AND that fixed sight revolvers are useful for more than just short range-

Practice load at ~800 fps-

Hunting load-

One of my .44 Specials-

Practice load-

Hunting load-

I'm probably in the minority, but I've had a few bad experiences with adjustable sights. As a teenager shooting my Dad's Colt Gov't Model, the rear blade of the Bomar sight snapped off under recoil and pinged me in the forehead. Bought a used Security Six at a gun show and half of its rear sight blade was broken off. An H&R 929 and a Rossi 68 purchased both had missing rear sights because the set/windage screws had worked loose. After I replaced the blade in the H&R, the wife carried it in a holster on her evening walks, and the sight was lost AGAIN, because the screws worked loose. My Flat Top Blackhawk, brand new out of the box wouldn't adjust low enough for the loads I was using and had to have work done on it.

As stated earlier, with similar bullet weights, there's simply not enough difference in trajectory @ 75 yds. or less, even with loads whose MV's differ by several hundred feet per second, to warrant messing with sight adjustment.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Banned

all depends on personal subjective thinking and shooting requirements. my S&W j-frame model 60 2-1/8" bbl .357mag doesn't even need a front sight for the distances it'll be required to hit center mass targets. my forthcoming ruger nmbh 6-1/2" bbl .357mag is all about punching paper and ringing steel out to 100 yards and maybe much further, therefore i'll appreciate its more precise and on-the-fly adjustable rear sight. it's all good as long as it does what ya want.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    all depends on personal subjective thinking and shooting requirements. my S&W j-frame model 60 2-1/8" bbl .357mag doesn't even need a front sight for the distances it'll be required to hit center mass targets. my forthcoming ruger nmbh 6-1/2" bbl .357mag is all about punching paper and ringing steel out to 100 yards and maybe much further, therefore i'll appreciate its more precise and on-the-fly adjustable rear sight. it's all good as long as it does what ya want.
    For sure.

The point of my post was most shooters don't understand revolvers and their cartridges, and they view fixed sight revolvers as, at best, close range "nostalgia" type firearms.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    For sure.

The point of my post was most shooters don't understand revolvers and their cartridges, and they view fixed sight revolvers as, at best, close range "nostalgia" type firearms.

35W
    yep. run as single action with the right load, that little snubbie j-frame of mine is capable of some really good accuracy at 25 yards. some folks can use them well out past 75 or 100 yards, as what hickok45 proves.

Fixed sights are fine for the right load and make sense for service & CCW pistols. I don't carry a screw driver to adjust my sights. I sight gun in for load I want to shoot and that's where it stays. If I
    want to change loads I can resight for them. It's no different than sighting in a rifle for different loads I don't think anyone sells a rifle with fixed sights anymore. Better sight picture and option to adjust to point of aim is advantage over fixed sights, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Fixed sights are fine for the right load and make sense for service & CCW pistols. I don't carry a screw driver to adjust my sights. I sight gun in for load I want to shoot and that's where it stays.

Ditto here.

If I want to change loads I can resight for them. It's no different than sighting in a rifle for different loads I don't think anyone sells a rifle with fixed sights anymore. Better sight picture and option to adjust to point of aim is advantage over fixed sights, period.

Whatever works for you.
    I know what works for me!

35W

NRA Life Member

I had a S&W m58 when they first came out, 41mg fixed sights. It was one of most accurate fixed sight guns I ever owned. At 50' it would shot as good or better than 57s with adjustable sights. I've
    had many S&W m10-m13 and older model service guns that shot well with service loads. Im not into it but I would suspect that most SA fixed sight shooters are staying in a narrow range of loads that are close to original loads. I have 2 old model Ruger Single-6s that have fixed sights but rear can be
    drifted for windage. Both guns have been drifted and one has front sight filed down. That is like the
    best of both worlds a good sight picture and sturdy sights. I also had a 1911 with a big back sight that had set screw for drift and front that had been filed.

I guess I am just a grumpy sick old man, but the reason for these kinds of threads escapes me. It is all a matter of personal choice. Go to a gun shop and hold one of each in either hand. In about ten seconds you will know the difference and which you prefer.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I guess I am just a grumpy sick old man, but the reason for these kinds of threads escapes me. It is all a matter of personal choice. Go to a gun shop and hold one of each in either hand. In about ten seconds you will know the difference and which you prefer.
    Hitting the LIKE button !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Agreed. One addition with similar thinking: my cousin had a gunshop/pawn shop for awhile. He would have the customer pick it up and aim it. He said if the feller adjusted it in his hand after he picked it up, he, my cousin knew it was not a good fit for the customer. If he picked it up and there was no adjustment, it would work out fine. I had never thought about that myself, but my cousin said it worked every time.

First of all, a New Vaquero and a Flat Top Blackhawk are going to feel all but identical because they're all but identical in size. Second, how a revolver "feels" has nothing to do with how well one will shoot it. Pick the revolver with the features you want, then learn to use it.

This discussion is basically about the merits of, and deciding between, a fixed sight revolver vs. one with adjustable sights.

35W

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    First of all, a New Vaquero and a Flat Top Blackhawk are going to feel all but identical because they're all but identical in size. Second, how a revolver "feels" has nothing to do with how well one will shoot it. Pick the revolver with the features you want, then learn to use it.

This discussion is basically about the merits of, and deciding between, a fixed sight revolver vs. one with adjustable sights.

35W
    1) Post #1 in this thread asks about the Blackhawk or the Vaquero. Nothing about a Flat top which is on a smaller frame and the Blackhawk.

2. Feel also mean look. If you look you can see the relative features of the two handguns and if you feel them you can also tell the weight difference.

The point being that while you and others may enjoy the endless comparison of various feature, the choice is subjective. The OP has only to pick up, feel, and look at the guns to know what he wants. All the comments and opinions of others don't mean squat.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

1) Post #1 in this thread asks about the Blackhawk or the Vaquero. Nothing about a Flat top which is on a smaller frame and the Blackhawk.

2. Feel also mean look. If you look you can see the relative features of the two handguns and if you feel them you can also tell the weight difference.

The point being that while you and others may enjoy the endless comparison of various feature, the choice is subjective. The OP has only to pick up, feel, and look at the guns to know what he wants. All the comments and opinions of others don't mean squat.
    I like to think of posts as discussions, that is face-to-face verbal conversations that maybe drift off and return. Remember- the OP specifically asked for comments. And I think the most valuable part of these discussions is input from those who have actual hands on experience, which there seems to be precious little of these days. And finally, just like face-to-face discussions, one has the option of not participating of they don't like what's being discussed.

35W

NRA Life Member

Banned

As always get what you want
    Have had many new and old Vaqueros
    The new Vaquero with Gun Fighter grips is sweet.
    I only have Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks now
    But they all have Eagle Gun Fighter grips
    Except the Bisleys which are stock.
    A New Vaquero with Gun Fighter grips is sweet.
    A Blackhawk with Gun Fighter grips is perfection.

Adjustable sights are the way to go in my mind. Nothing at all wrong with a 357 magnum. Others are bigger, but not many are as cheap to scrounge brass for, and not many are as stingy on powder and lead. Thats my take.

~Bazoo

Get both

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Why 357? My suggestion would be a Flattop Blackhawk in 44 special, which you can load factory level loads for, or you can handload it to 25k psi and be right in the back door of 44 mag ballistics, plenty enough to hunt big game with.
    Amen, and remember this, you just cannot have too many handguns. We have all sold guns and we later regretted it. I once sold a beautiful early Ruger flat top [it had a four digit serial #] but it was not by choice. One day my wife came to me and said I need a thou for the boys collage tuition. Well off went my Ruger, a 1st generation 45 Colt in excellent condition and a new Winchester Super x. If selling them wasn't tragic enough, the friend I sold them to was burglarized too weeks later and the thieves got away with 42 handguns, including my two of course. So far he has gotten 9 of them back, mostly 22s. One cop told him, If LA gets their hands on a gun, they destroy it.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 12-15-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

There's no bigger fan of the .44 Special in the world than I, in fact I shot another deer with one of mine a few weeks ago (I own four of them). But if all a man wants to do is shoot at the range and piddle, there's not much better than the .357 as it is extremely versatile. In fact if all I had to hunt deer and similar size game with was one of my .357's I wouldn't worry a bit.

35W

NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast