Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which? Again. Blackhawk vs Vacquero

Which? Again. Blackhawk vs Vacquero

OK, Ruger Blackhawk or Ruger Vaquero in 357. Eye on stainless steel version of either one.

Anyone have any comments?

Come on, I know you do.

If you're going to shoot in cowboy shoots or don't want adjustable sights then get a vequero. If not and you want adjustable sights then get a blackhawk.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericandelaine1975 View Post
    If you're going to shoot in cowboy shoots or don't want adjustable sights then get a vequero. If not and you want adjustable sights then get a blackhawk.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thats about it fixed sights cowdoy or adjustable sights everything else. Stainless is way easier to clean. Look for an older used one the new ones are not as smooth to me. Have five blackhawks.

No, I really don't. It is buyers preference. If you don't know enought about them to make a choice, then we can't help you. Or, is just a chat thread and not really seeking information?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    best thing to do is just buy both

Banned

I have had many of both. The old/new Vaqueros are gone, I don't play games. The Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks work best for me.

Another gun to think about would be a flattop blackhawk.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

K, no, I would love both, not in the cards at this time. Might can squeeze out enough for one this year. Fixed vs adjustable sights. 7 oz or so less weight. Flip a coin I guess.

Boolit Grand Master

Because of the vast differences in 38 special /357 magnum loads ....all the way from powder-puff target to heavy magnum hog/deer loads....this alone would make sense the use of adjustable sights.
    Nobody likes Kentucky windage shooting....Get The Blackhawk unless you are going to shoot one load and hope that load shoots to those fixed sights.....most times they don't.

See those fixed sights on the model 58 in my avatar.....adjustable sights would be better !
    I bought my adjustable sighted Blackhawk in 1970 and have never regretted being able to sight in different loads .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 11-27-2018 at 06:01 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Fixed sight gun can be regulated for 1 or maybe 2 loads. An Adjustable Sighted Revolver can be adjusted for any number of loads.
    I have a pair of old VAQUERO'S in .45COLT with 7 1/2" bbl's that will hit a tennis ball 6X6 at 50ft with a 230gr TC over 5.0grs of Clays. Put in a std load with a 250gr bullet it shoots 2" high & an inch to the left.

I have a NM Blackhawk in .45COLT with 4 5/8" bbl. That will shoot the std load dead center. 4 clicks up & 2 clicks right and the Cowboy Load hits dead center.

Do ya wanna shoot just one load or have a choice. Hot heavy bullet for hunting. Or a light target load and a hot load with a light bullet for expansion in 2-legged targets ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I have stainless in both. Prefer the Blackhawk (mine is a 357/9mm convertable--I would suggest one of these!!) because I can sight in for different loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Another vote for the BH if you not into CAS. I had to do a lot of tweaking to get my Vaquero’s to shoot to POA, but I am anal about that sort of thing.

BTW, you only mentioned SA revolvers so a thought for you. I have had 10 of them and am down to three. Two are CAS tuned Colt SAA’s and one is a Ruger .44 Mag. Now looking at adding two .357 DA guns. Loading and unloading SA guns can be tiresome, and in a pinch the DA guns are better for home defense.
    Don Verna

The sights got too hard for my old eyes to see well on my Vaquero. The blocky sights on the BHs are better for me to see.
    Scott

The East-Left Coast

"They took my horse and made him surrender".

Not home defense, I've got a 605 Taurus with 7 Self defense loads in it stashed in one corner, a G17 with a mag full of nice 9mm in small safe, a Walther PPQ with 17 more that is normal carry.
    Other larger guns elsewhere..... So this would be a possible SD gun, but more just target, shooting gun. Yep, the more I think of this, BH would be better, as I use various loads. Not many in the 38/357, but I'd for sure shoot both in two or three loads/weights.

Rockrat, do you REALLY shoot 9mm in the BH? Might be another point for the BH.

Blackhawk convertible. Very versatile.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    If you are only going to get one get a BlackHawk.
    My first Rugersingle action was a blued BlackHawk in .41Magnum. It has been followed by many more BlackHawks and a couple of Vaqueros.
    I think every gun guy should have several of each in various calibers.
    I have three BlackHawks in .357Mag, two in .41 Mag, one in .44Spl and one in .45Colt plus a couple of Vaqueros in .45Colt(full size original models).
    Also have a few Uberti Cimarrons in .44Spl and .45 Colt.

I have numerous fixed sight SA revolvers for carry, for hunting or woods defense I have a GP 100. I know I am outside the parameters of the OP, but when talking switching up loads a swing out cylinder makes more sense. I can then easily change my load depending on the game, example I do not want to use a heavy fast SWC for a rabbit, all meat would be destroyed. For small rodents I would use a spire point, or round nose.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep, I do use the 9mm cylinder. Works fairly well. Sometimes I can pick up a case of 9mm ammo fairly cheap, around $7.50/box 50 when I don't feel like reloading at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Because of the vast differences in 38 special /357 magnum loads ....all the way from powder-puff target to heavy magnum hog/deer loads....this alone would make sense the use of adjustable sights.
    Nobody likes Kentucky windage shooting....Get The Blackhawk unless you are going to shoot one load and hope that load shoots to those fixed sights.....most times they don't.

See those fixed sights on the model 58 in my avatar.....adjustable sights would be better !
    I bought my adjustable sighted Blackhawk in 1970 and have never regretted being able to sight in different loads .
    Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

Gary
    So you guys are telling me you actually carry a screwdriver around and twiddle with your sights when you change loads?? I cannot imagine...

I guess most don't really understand handgun bullet trajectories and that inside 75 yds., there's little to worry about if one sticks with bullets of similar weights. Take two .358" 158 gr. cast lead bullets, start one at 775 fps and another at 1400 fps, sight them both in at 50 yds., and at 25 yds. there's a little over 1" difference in their POI's, at 75 yds. there's a bit over 3 1/2" difference. I'd venture a guess that most handgunners rarely shoot over 50 yds and 25 is probably more realistic, so trajectory is pretty much not even an issue.

A perfect example is my Flat Top .44 Special. Same sight setting, two loads and two different bullets about 300 fps apart, both zeroed more or less dead on at 50 yds.

Not enough difference in POI to matter.

I own adjustable sighted revolvers, but personally prefer fixed sights simply because they're more rugged than adjustable sights. In my opinion the single advantage to adjustable sights is they typically offer a better sight picture, especially for those of us with over-50 eyes.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

Why 357? My suggestion would be a Flattop Blackhawk in 44 special, which you can load factory level loads for, or you can handload it to 25k psi and be right in the back door of 44 mag ballistics, plenty enough to hunt big game with.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast