RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38-55 reloading help

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    Wolfdog,
    Forget slugging the barrel, do a pound cast of the throat instead. Or, just use a bullet big enough that if you ink the sides with a sharpie the ink will be scraped away upon chambering.
    Don't worry about the bullet being larger than the groove diameter it will size down upon firing. Lead alloy bullets size down like that easily and commonly. If you want best accuracy follow these directions. If the bullet is smaller than the throat it will often enter the bore minutely canted and accuracy goes to pot. Good Luck
    Brodie
    Ty sir, I cast for 35rem, .357mag, 38spl, 45-70 and 380acp. But generally these guns fall into velocity categories where GC or non GC are obvious. It's this 1700fps stuff where I'm just unsure if I made a mistake going plain base. From most of what I read, the Lee .279 and these guns get along well, so that's my first stop.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
    I generally tumble lube, but they said 38 dollars for a custom sizer/check seater. I'm going to shoot the 379s as cast if able, but if I end up needing gas checks (I doubt I will at this point), Lee is a good option.
    The Lee 379250F that I use is bevel base; the bullets won't accept gas checks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 12-03-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The Lee 3792555F that I use is bevel base; the bullets won't accept gas checks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I know, I'm saying that if I have to switch molds I will, but given what everyone is saying a plain base bullet may be fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle32 View Post
    I have a chiappa mini sharps in 38-55 haven't slugged the bore to get true bore diameter. I use the Lee 379-255- FN sized thru a Lee .379 sizer die. With a load of 20.0 grs of H4198 ( gun only weights 5.5 lbs and I have a bad shoulder) I can shot ragged holes at 65 yrds on my good days.

Lee will custom make any size lube sizer die you want for not that much more than a standard set. I don't remember the cost and I know there wait time will very but I had mine within three weeks.
    The only problem is that you still have to lube that bullet with BP lube or smokeless lube, you're better off with a lube sizer dedicated to BP lube, I have 2 set aside for BP a RCBS and a STAR

Boolit Mold
    If you don't have a lube die you can certainly pan lube, or you could get some powder for coating from Smoke4320 and coat.

Todd

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by craneman View Post
    If you don't have a lube die you can certainly pan lube, or you could get some powder for coating from Smoke4320 and coat.

Todd
    I don't have a lube die, I've been tumble lubing in LLA for a few years now, seems to work pretty well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12