Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Killed a deer with a 9mm

Killed a deer with a 9mm

Well I finally killed a deer with a 9mm rifle, I have been wanting to do this for several years. She came around a tree at 68 yards and put one through her neck she dropped in her tracks,

So I have been practicing with my Ruger PC9 for about 8 months (15,000 rounds+) and I can hit a 3” plate at 100 yards every time off hand I’m using a Lucid 2.5 MOA red dot. So I did some experiments I posted on here and on another forum the same information and same projectiles same velocity the only difference I made was replaced 9mm with 357 mag my data is a Mihec mood .358 135 round flat PC over 3.8 of bullseye velocity out of my rifle is 1200FPS
    So I found out if I posted that it was a 357 mag I had a 90% agreement on yeah that should do great out to 75 yards. But when I posted it was a 9mm I had a 90% disapproval rate.. funny

I don’t know if I would shoot a deer in the vitals at over 50 yards but I DO NOT feel under gunner with this rifle. Next year I’m going to put a shallow cup point and go for the vitals

Thanks for reading
    43PU
    Last edited by 43PU; 11-27-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    You have clearly proven one thing. That deer didn’t get the memo that 9mm wasn’t supposed to kill her.

Sounds like the same knuckleheads I used to argue with in Texas who would rant an rave that a .243 was the bare minimum to kill all those mighty #100 white tail does.

Boolit Master

Just don't tell them it's a 9mm. Call it a .35 Whelan minus-P-minus and they'll be fine.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I have been wanting a 9mm Carbine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I thought 9mm would bounce off their armor. Huh. Things to ponder, man. Things to ponder.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

I also have a Ruger PC carbine in 9mm and it is very accurate with factory and my handloads using X-Treme 9mm 124 gr. HP copper plated bullets. Do not intend to hunt with it, but they are proving to be one very accurate take down carbine as proven by the one I have and the many reports I have read about their accuracy.
    There is a problem with them though. If you have grandkids that like to shoot, you better buy several thousand rounds of ammo or break out the progressive loading press and crank out several thousand rounds. My Dillon reloading press has been very busy loading 9mm.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 43PU View Post
    Well I finally killed a deer with a 9mm rifle, I have been wanting to do this for several years. She came around a tree at 68 yards and put one through her neck she dropped in her tracks,

So I have been practicing with my Ruger PC9 for about 8 months (15,000 rounds+) and I can hit a 3” plate at 100 yards every time off hand I’m using a Lucid 2.5 MOA red dot. So I did some experiments I posted on here and on another forum the same information and same projectiles same velocity the only difference I made was replaced 9mm with 357 mag my data is a Mihec mood .358 135 round flat PC over 3.8 of bullseye velocity out of my rifle is 1200FPS
    So I found out if I posted that it was a 357 mag I had a 90% agreement on yeah that should do great out to 75 yards. But when I posted it was a 9mm I had a 90% disapproval rate.. funny

I don’t know if I would shoot a deer in the vitals at over 50 yards but I DO NOT feel under gunner with this rifle. Next year I’m going to put a shallow cup point and go for the vitals

Thanks for reading
    43PU
    I feel sorry for the deer population where you hunt as the neck is not exactly a great place for vitals (LOTS) of non vital area and your idea of a cupped nose at anemic velocities will get you a lot of crippled deer ! Unfortunately you will not know as most will leave squat for a
    blood trail . That round is a good (NOT GREAT) carry round but I like 45 better ,a carbine does not help it gain anything /in my opinion Ed

Boolit Master

Glad it worked out. Enjoyed your little thought experiment! Got any pics of the wound channel? Have your tried any slower powders like Power Pistol, Blue Dot, etc?

it is all about hitting "the spot" if showed these photos to most people and asked what this deer was shot with no one would really know other than thinking a large caliber. if I said a 243 some would agree and some would think bigger. well I wanted to thin some does off my hunting lease so me and a friend went hunting for some. he has several ARs he builds, I am not into them. well he brought one over and we went hunting. as it happened I killed a 8pt. buck with a 243 he killed this doe with a 17 remington. the shot was a measured 100yds. the doe hopped of about 40yds and fell stone dead! he used a 25gr. hornady hp. the hole is entrance. the bullet penetrated shrapnel to the other side and turned the lungs to mush. I would not recommend a 17 for deer. but it is the boolit placement that counts,,,,,,,,,,, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 rem kill.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	231062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 -2.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	231063

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Congratulations, well done!

I believe your choice of projectile and velocity will do a fine job harvesting deer. I would not hesitate to shoot threw the boiler room of any deer with that load.

The 32-20 has harvested deer for a long time! Your wisely chosen load is far Superior to the Deer harvesting old timer. I would be proud to hunt with your rig!

Ken
    Last edited by Screwbolts; 11-27-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "a carbine does not help it gain anything /in my opinion Ed"

(facepalm). I don't even know where to start,,,,,,

That Ruger is an outstanding rifle. Watched a buddy smack a 4" diamond time after time with his at 265 yards, and unbelievably quiet when suppressed!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

The carbine puts the 9mm well over 500 ft lbs. I would try the Lehigh Penetrator. Will shoot through and through and do its job, easily I predict.
    I agree, these discussions can be frustrating.

I'm surprised you get that fps with BE, I use the same gr boolit in 9mm compact with WST, works great but BE is a faster powder.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Give the new cfe pistol a try for carbines. I have a hi-point 45 and have ran everything from BE to bluedot in it and cfe gave the best velocity increase from pistol to carbine of anything i tried. 255 grain lee rf went from 680 in a 5 inch to 900 with a very mild reliable load. My favorite powder for full power 380 as well. Btw, i have a nice video of a 200 rf going 950 knocking a 200ish pound hog on his keister from 70 yards (pass thru) so dont discount the gains of a carbine.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I know people who used to poach deer. They were successful with .22’s. Of course, they do not talk about the ones they may have wounded.

The doe I got last week was hit with a .308 165 gr GameKing in the lungs/heart and went about 75 yards before dropping.

As to the OP, if you can hit a 3” target off hand at 100 yards with every shot, that is spectacular shooting. I suspect that little carbine is at best a 1 MOA gun, so that means you can hold every shot to within 2” off hand. WOW! Simply amazing.

Still think a neck shot, off hand, at over 60 yards is a poor choice as most of us do not have your ability.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    For several years I hunted with a 45 cal muzzleloader using sabots and 9mm cast lead projectiles. Why that rifle didn't like the same weight 357 boolits in the sabots remains a mystery. I got several blacktail and mule deer with it using 125 gr CB's before I switched back to PRB for deer. I also have a 9mm rifle (T/C carbine) and am confident it would do the job should I ever decide to hunt modern rifle season with it. That rifle is minute-of-popcan at 125 yards with its iron sights and is a delight for coyotes in thick country.

Boolit Mold
    It is one thing to harvest a deer with a minimal round and a perfectly placed shot. I have shot one young deer with my 357 at about 15 yards...watched it first for an hour at around 70 yards then It got close enough for my one kill with this pistol.

The challenge for me is I am a mediocre shot when it comes to live animals. Less than optimal shot placement and a minimal round often means wounded deer that coyotes find and finish off later that night.

My thoughts...have a blast hunting with a small round.....be very picky about your shots

Good reason to take two guns

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    I also have a Ruger PC carbine in 9mm and it is very accurate with factory and my handloads using X-Treme 9mm 124 gr. HP copper plated bullets. Do not intend to hunt with it, but they are proving to be one very accurate take down carbine as proven by the one I have and the many reports I have read about their accuracy.
    There is a problem with them though. If you have grandkids that like to shoot, you better buy several thousand rounds of ammo or break out the progressive loading press and crank out several thousand rounds. My Dillon reloading press has been very busy loading 9mm.

I don’t have grandkids but i have a bro in law.... I had to buy a separate Dillon for 9mm

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    You have clearly proven one thing. That deer didn’t get the memo that 9mm wasn’t supposed to kill her.

Sounds like the same knuckleheads I used to argue with in Texas who would rant an rave that a .243 was the bare minimum to kill all those mighty #100 white tail does.
    Same type of argument with more than a couple Gunstore Commando's who insisted a 357Mag pistol just would not be enough gun for a whitetail. That's until I proved them wrong on a 180lb 8pt with a GP100, open sights at 35 yrds.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Good job! For all you naysayers I have seen dozens and dozens of deer shot in the neck with various caliber guns. I have seen exactly one move from the spot where it was shot. It went about 20 yards and then fell down kicking. Wisely my daughter put another round into its shoulder but I don't believe it was going anywhere because a section of his spine was missing on the bottom side. Now ask me how many deer I have seen run away with hits in the vital zones shot by the "accepted" cartridges.
    It is very simple; if you can shoot, you can use neck shots. If you can't, shoot at the large brown part. Deer are not and have never been and will never be Bulletproof.
    43 PU- I salute you for practicing so much- it sure paid off. I too have seen a deer killed with one neck shot at 50 yards with a .17 Rem. Dead Right There. Same with a .22 Hornet by the same hunter. His favorite rifle was a .222 Rem and he killed deer like a surgeon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast