RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Killed a deer with a 9mm

Boolit Master
    357 sig or a 10mm I'd want a DI upper. Blow back seems sketchy. I have had a couple 9mm rounds go off out of battery from my AR, I could only imagine how terrible the SIG would be. I'd like a 357sig AR also to go with my Glock 32 carry gun.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy milsurpcollector1970's Avatar
    I built a 9mm ar, I was getting around 1600 fps with 115 gr fmj.
    These were carbine only loads You could easily get a hunting boolit going fast enough to kill a deer
    But I have other guns which make bigger holes so I wouldn’t

Boolit Master
    Carbine is my only reason to load for 9mm.

Factory subsonic ammo is not subsonic from my barrel so I load heavy cast subs. Light bullets on the other hand get loaded warm.

I had a Beretta Storm for ten years,finally traded it for a B&T APC9. Same but different,reliable blowbacks. Not legal for whitetail here,not even close.

Bigger is bigger.

We can't use rifles other than muzzleloaders. Nothing less than .44 cal. For handguns, nothing less than 500 ft lbs.
    Found ballistics for 9mm for pistols.

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Vendor Sponsor

Its dead , its meat , its all good
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by milsurpcollector1970 View Post
    These were carbine only loads You could easily get a hunting boolit going fast enough to kill a deer
    +1 On this with my Kel-Tec sub 2000. I'm going to be making some modifications, and then seeing how much power I can actually squeeze of of the thing. It's fantastically accurate within the rounds effective range as it is, both with sub-sonics, and standard rounds. By the way, off-the-shelf subs tend to become supersonic out of these carbines. Another reason to roll your own

Banned

Not sure how your long guns make supersonic out of subsonic.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
    I have two 16" Cx4 Storms and the 147s don't break the sound barrier.
    Favorite bullet is the 155 + grain Elco
    Subsonic stays subsonic

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Not sure how your long guns make supersonic out of subsonic.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
    I have two 16" Cx4 Storms and the 147s don't break the sound barrier.
    Favorite bullet is the 155 + grain Elco
    Subsonic stays subsonic
    Longer barrel dwell time. Same concept as adding 4 inches to your barrel to get an extra 100 or so fps from the same load.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

No, some cartridges do not know about

"Longer barrel dwell time. Same concept as adding 4 inches to your barrel to get an extra 100 or so fps from the same load."

The 9mm, .45 ACP, , never got the memo:
    For example, Federal 147 grain HydraShok
    Beretta 92 with 4.875" barrel goes 989 fps
    Beretta Cx4 Storm 16" barrel goes 1049

Okay, those are the results you got, out of your gun, in your location, with that particular ammunition. My chronograph had the 147 grain projectiles (Federal American Eagle Suppressor Ammunition), at about 1100 fps. It depends on atmospheric conditions, but that is at least trans-sonic. 2.8 Grains of 700x, under a comparable 147 grain bullet, gets me in the 900 fps range. My Kel-Tec is very consistent about adding a considerable amount of velocity to anything I put through it. Plenty of people have had a similar experience.

Boolit Master
    Yep,I wouldn't be loading for 9mm if there was a subsonic carbine factory round. I load Lee 158 RF, 163 with my alloy. 950 fps.

Everything commercial subsonic that I've tried or heard about is for pistol lengh barrels. Magtech is around transsonic,you never know how loud.

Boolit Grand Master

A HUNTER can kill a deer with about anything but some folks with a deer permit have trouble doing it with a 300 win mag.
    In my job I had to put down a lot of injured or wounded animals and used everything from a 22 lr on up. I have killed 3 deer with a 9 mm all one shot kills. It will do the job IF you put the bullet in the right spot. It has always amazed me that some folks recommend a 9 or a 40 or a 38 for shooting aggressive humans up to 400 pounds or more and then think a 30-30 is not fit for a 150 pound deer.

Here is a perfect example of a real HUNTER who has practiced and sighted in and made a clean kill. I think he could have done the job with whatever he had on hand and done it cleanly and ethically.

Good on ya!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Yep,I wouldn't be loading for 9mm if there was a subsonic carbine factory round. I load Lee 158 RF, 163 with my alloy. 950 fps.

Everything commercial subsonic that I've tried or heard about is for pistol lengh barrels. Magtech is around transsonic,you never know how loud.
    I just gave you one, Federal 147 grain JHP Hydrashok

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milsurpcollector1970 View Post
    I was able to get that kind of velocity (15-1600) out of my 9mm T/C carbine but could not get any consistent accuracy except on the first shot out of a cold barrel. Also got cracked cases regularly. After learning that lesson, I backed off on loads for MV's from 1200-1350 fps and got consistent accuracy out to 150 yards when my old eyes would cooperate with the irons sights. From that I concluded that trying to turn the 9mm into something it is not meant to be, a 357 mag, was not my best idea especially when a 135 gr. RFGC going 1100 fps at 100 yards will do anything I want it to do.

Petander: Is that the one for 38 special? I'd like to shoot the heaviest projectile I can, for my sub-sonic loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HumptyDumpty View Post
    Petander: Is that the one for 38 special? I'd like to shoot the heaviest projectile I can, for my sub-sonic loads.
    Yes it is.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...rain-flat-nose

Boolit Master
    I haven't chronographed many 9mm loads out of my handguns. However, I have tested several cast loads in my CZ EVO Scorpion, using LabRadar. They are consistently 200-300 fps faster than Lyman's Cast Bullet Manual's published cast loadings, based on handgun length barrels........... I would assume J-words would act accordingly.

Winelover

"IF" it was post ****, and I was out with my 9mm carbine or 9mm handi rifle stubb barrel.

"IF" I had a good under 75y shot, and the deer was moving slow or still.

"IF" we needed the meat, yeah I'd do it.

If I took the shot I have very little doubt it would do the job.
    As someone mentioned above, I have shot a few with .22lr after dark with a light.

Bullet placement is king. Hit them right and down they go. Hit them wrong and away they go.

I am 66, have not hunted for 22 years. In part because I lost my taste for killing.
    I always butchered my own deer, but no longer have access to the farm buildings for hanging, skinning, boning out. The rough work. I just have not wanted to inflict all that on my wife's countertops. And we are not hurting, we can buy all we need food wise at the grocery store.

In many respects I prefered the venison. I knew exactly what had been done with it.
    I felt like it was more "Honest". I shot the deer, gave it respect and added a prayer to send it on its journey. Field dressed it, hung it, skinned it, quartered it, deboned it and packaged it for final cutting, cut it, wrapped it and froze it. I OWNED that deer, I did the work. Sweat equity.

I am just not up for that anymore.

If I needed the meat, I'd prefer a more proven performer. .30-30, .357 mag, .44mag, .444marlin.

I know all 4 shoot right and tight, with good whump on the far end.

My experience has taught me to stay away from small fast light bullets.
    Go for bigger caliber bigger bullets, at slower speeds that will punch straight through crossways, longways, don't matter. And unless you hit a big bone chances of recovering a bullet are very low.

So yes, OP, I would do what you did, at need. But I would prefer to stay out of that need.
    Call me conservative. Yes 22lr, .380, 9mm, .40, .45acp would all do the job.

But IMO there are better tools and I have most of them. So an A+ for an interesting read.
    Thanks for letting me vent.

Also this is not my Primary hunting rifle, the shot was close I felt comfortable and I severed her spine at the base of her head, light out. I just wanted to use this combination to see if it COULD be done in a **** situation since this rifle is my Bugout gun/one gun to own rifle or what they are called. It sits beside the bed loaded with that same round in hopes that I never have to use it.. I just wanted to make sure it would do the job and it did. Like I said I may try one in the vitals next year to see how it does. But the rest of the season I used a 30-06 and I will keep on using the ‘06 till I get so old that the recoil bothers me then I’ll use a 308, then a x39 and so forth but that won’t be for a while (I hope).. as I’m 32 years young. Like I said the main reason I used the PC9 was to see if I could do it with a well placed shot if I trust my family to it I needed to test it, I would much rather lose a deer then lose my sons

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 43PU View Post
    Also this is not my Primary hunting rifle, the shot was close I felt comfortable and I severed her spine at the base of her head, light out. I just wanted to use this combination to see if it COULD be done in a **** situation since this rifle is my Bugout gun/one gun to own rifle or what they are called. It sits beside the bed loaded with that same round in hopes that I never have to use it.. I just wanted to make sure it would do the job and it did. Like I said I may try one in the vitals next year to see how it does. But the rest of the season I used a 30-06 and I will keep on using the ‘06 till I get so old that the recoil bothers me then I’ll use a 308, then a x39 and so forth but that won’t be for a while (I hope).. as I’m 32 years young. Like I said the main reason I used the PC9 was to see if I could do it with a well placed shot if I trust my family to it I needed to test it, I would much rather lose a deer then lose my sons
    There are several things that you have said in this thread that I like. You mentioned early on how you posted ballistics with out posting cartridge (thumbs up) I also like your last comment here on wanting to test on game so that you knew it was capable for defense prior to the need in the event that you may need to use it for a bug out/**** tool.
    KUDOS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast