RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: PA rifle opener today

PA rifle opener today

All I got was wet!

I bought a pre 64 Win 30-30 late last year, then burnt a bunch of powder finding what load it liked. I settled on a moderate book load of 3031 with my Lee 150 FP.
    Took it with me to the range every time I went and got real friendly with it. Today was my first chance to take it hunting. Had 4 doe walk by me at about 30 yds in the morning, but they're not in until Sat. The rest of the day I just watched it rain, till last light. Saw a buck at around 100yds, but I couldn't count enough points to be legal, so I watched him walk away.

I'll try again on Saturday. If my luck holds like usual.......all I'll see is squirrels.

Anybody else do any good?

Boolit Master
    Cool ! I used to hunt the Poconos of north eastern PA mostly Wayne , Pike and Monroe counties .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master

I didn’t bother going out. Weather was horrible. I did drive by the state park up the road for me. Counted a lot of orange vests to close to each other to be safe. I’m not far enough into the center of the state and there’s a lot of people that go out every year w/out practicing or sighting in their rifles. I don’t hear a lot of shots so either there were no deer or people weren’t out.

Hunting DMAP areas fixes the no does for the first part of the season if you’re in one of those WMUs. I have one for my place up the Poconos because I can’t eat antlers. And at home we don’t have the doe restriction. I may get out later this week. If not, oh well. I like early archery better because the weather is more to my liking.

It never stopped raining all day, not for a minute. There's so much water on/in the ground, it's like walking on a saturated sponge. My left boot leaked bad and will be worse tomorrow when the temp in the low 30's. I must be crazy even thinking about going out.

Boolit Master
    I took both my boys out individually today(13 an 15 Year old). Yes it was raining, but deer were moving. Both using 95 grain Hornady jacketed(loaded their own) in Savage Axis 243s. Both dropped a buck with 1 shot. Younger brother got 5 point at 9:00, older an 8 point at 11:00. From ( 9 to 10;30 I swapped out boys and hung up first deer). By noon I was having a hot cup of tea inside with both deer hanging. Pretty awesome day.

Richbug, good for you and your boys! My boy didn't go this year, it's his first year of college. He plans to get out Sat.

Bosterr, it stopped raining on me when it changed to sleet, then snow for the drive home. I was hunting game land in Jenners township, Somerset co.

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    It never stopped raining all day, not for a minute. There's so much water on/in the ground, it's like walking on a saturated sponge. My left boot leaked bad and will be worse tomorrow when the temp in the low 30's. I must be crazy even thinking about going out.
    Not sure where you were at but in Westmoreland co. The rain let up around 11 and then the howling winds started along with the temps dropping . Started out at 7 am at 47 was spitting snow at 5 pm when I got to the car . Only saw 2 doe and 4 squirrels all day . Yes it was a loooong day . That's why it's called huntin !
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Had my 6 yr old grandson out in a tent blind, by the end of the day a stream was running thru the tent! Didn't even see a squirrel.

I travel down from New England on Friday for the second week. Looking forward to the hunt this year. I'll let you know if I get anything. Like you my doe season doesn't start until Saturday where I hunt.

Stay with it...they are out there....He's probably hiding behind a squirrel someplace

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan