RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tried to buy a Bulldog...

Boolit Master
    If I was looking for a range toy, it would be a M69, also. However, I wanted a lightweight CC piece, sans an exposed hammer. The Bulldog goes in my pocket when I go bowhunting. Around here, the season runs from the third Saturday in September till the last day in February. BTW, CA guarantees their products for life..............so if you shoot it loose, they will rebuild or replace it.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Back in 1973 (lucky I can remember that far back) SWMBO and I were traveling around the New England states and wound up at the Charter Arms factory. They allowed us a limited tour and I got introduced to their Bulldog 44 Special. Must have talked about that introduction too much for the next few weeks. When Christmas arrived SWMBO had one of those for me under the tree. Over the years I have tried many different loads in this revolver. Heavy boolits, light boolits, fast and medium and slow powders. The revolver has never failed to function as designed, it just has it's preferences on load combinations. Right now the vote goes to a 180 grain WC over a respectable dose of Unique. These loads hit at the sights and hit hard. Yes, she and the Charter are both still here. Looks like I have a pair of keepers.

Boolit Master
    Not a Bulldog, but I just bought a baby bulldog on Gunbroker, a .32 Undercover,cute little thing I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Not a Bulldog, but I just bought a baby bulldog on Gunbroker, a .32 Undercover,cute little thing I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
    It probably will. If you reload for it, you can wake up the .32 S&W Long quite a bit over factory. The Undercover should be strong enough for reasonable hot rodding. One outfit (Buffalo Bore maybe) now makes a .32 S&W Long with some serious punch that still meets SAAMI specs. Also, as far as I know, all the small frame Charters use the same parts other than barrel and cylinder assembly.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    I was just handling one of those 2 weeks ago. Looked to be a great little gun. The one I was messing with was a .32 S&W-L
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

I've always thought that the .32 S&W Long with more horsepower would be the ne plus ultra pocket gun cartridge.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I've always thought that the .32 S&W Long with more horsepower would be the ne plus ultra pocket gun cartridge.
    Me too. I have found the 32 H&R to be that, but sadly, that round has never caught on, and the .327 is barely clinging to life. I have 3 Ruger 327's and I will get a S&W if ever I can find one. The 32's as group seem to be intrinsically accurate, and very pleasant to shoot. I wish I had gone there sooner.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

A six shot .32 J frame would be funnest.

Banner Sponsor

Taurus used to make a 5 shot tracker in 45acp that would take 45 Cowboy Special cases. If the quality of the Charter Arms guns is slipping, the Taurus might be an option

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Taurus used to make a 5 shot tracker in 45acp that would take 45 Cowboy Special cases. If the quality of the Charter Arms guns is slipping, the Taurus might be an option
    I looked a 44 Tracker, but wanted to avoid porting and Taurus service doesn't get the best reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I looked a 44 Tracker, but wanted to avoid porting and Taurus service doesn't get the best reviews!
    The porting is a deal breaker for me as well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A six shot .32 J frame would be funnest.
    I agree. I got to where I shot my J Frame and I Frame S&W .32Ls so much I didn't want to shoot anything else.

Boolit Buddy
    In 44 special you haven't mentioned the older Taurus and newer Rugers. I have two of the 4" stainless adj sited Taurus 431s. Both are excellent guns. One I carry in a Bianchi shoulder holster. The other my son has claimed. Both shoot the 429421 Kieth in a slight reduction of "Skeeters load" using unique very well. My son's revolver also likes the Speer 200gr Gold Dot load. My carry gun hasn't a liking for any factory jacketed load yet. I have a 5" blued adj sited Ruger. It is heavier than the Taurus, but loves the 429421 Kieth using the "Skeeters load" using unique. All three guns have had the factory grips replaced with Hogues.
    Bill

Boolit Grand Master

I won't touch Charter Arms they wouldn't know quality if it walked up and bit them.

Banned

I've had a Bull Dog for about 30 years now. I shoot a few boxes through it a year. For what it is, it's a good little gun. Never had a problem with it. In a bad situation at realistic gun fight distances, I'd feel well-armed with it.

Mine was probably made in the '70s as was the one my dad had. Not a problem with either one. I've heard a lot about poor quality control from the various regenerations of Charter Arms over the years, but the ones from the era of those two seem pretty sound and I'd buy another one if a deal presented itself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
    In 44 special you haven't mentioned the older Taurus and newer Rugers. I have two of the 4" stainless adj sited Taurus 431s. Both are excellent guns. One I carry in a Bianchi shoulder holster. The other my son has claimed. Both shoot the 429421 Kieth in a slight reduction of "Skeeters load" using unique very well. My son's revolver also likes the Speer 200gr Gold Dot load. My carry gun hasn't a liking for any factory jacketed load yet. I have a 5" blued adj sited Ruger. It is heavier than the Taurus, but loves the 429421 Kieth using the "Skeeters load" using unique. All three guns have had the factory grips replaced with Hogues.
    Bill
    I have one of the 4in. fixed sight Taurus .44 Specials. It shoots really well. Mine does real well with the Lee 200gr. RNFP Cowboy bullet over Titegroup or Unique.

My step-daugther and her husband recently bought a Bulldog ... oh ... wait a minute ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I have read various rumblings that Taurus is changing their warranty policies on brand new guns. People report that their CS personnel say they will be moving to a one year warranty and also possibly dropping coverage on discontinued models.

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/#.../398005?page=2
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 12-10-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Well, I closed my eyes and ordered a 4 inch M69. Almost 2x the weight of the Bulldog, but I shoot more than I carry, and I couldn't see the Bulldog going thousands of rounds even with light loads. My SP101 will continue to fill the occasional carry role. I'm sure I'll shoot the heavier revolver better anyway. The ability to easily mount optics on the Smith was a plus as well. This will be my first Smith, fingers crossed I get a good one!
    You will enjoy the S&W 69. I have one and it is a pleasure to shoot with even the hottest .44 special loads. I've bought and sold 3 different bulldogs over the years, all 70's era guns, they were all "ok" but none of them were great.

Boolit Master

Shot my 69 for the first time today with some 44 Russian loads. Shot real well! I was able to shoot a tennis ball size group, offhand, at 25 yards. Just a little mild lead/antimony wash in the bore, nothing to worry about. The finish work on the Smith looks real good. The only thing can find wrong with it is a burr on the muzzle where the rifling was cut. It could easily be polished out, but I probably won't mess with it unless I think accuracy is suffering. I'll probably keep an eye out for a decent 4" Bulldog, but not holding my breath! I might mount a reflex micro red dot on the 69 for deer season next year. Hmm, wonder if anyone has put a red dot on a Bulldog...not sure I'd want to drill holes in the top strap!
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 12-17-2018 at 09:39 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast