WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Unique and 7-30 waters

Boolit Master

Unique and 7-30 waters

I have lots of brass to fire form; I’ve seen it mentioned that some use unique in the 7-30 waters with cast loads; I.e. the load as in 10 grains unique. I know for plinking loads in 30-30 the parent case Ive had very good luck; I don’t see this in the Lyman manual or any other source I’ve looked at. I figured I’d start at 8 grains of unique and work up . Boolit by far he way is the lee soupcan 7mm. Anyone using this or has in the past? For jword loads I’ve had good luck using 4895 and Varget. I figured for fire forming I could play with a lighter load and hopefully find a woodchuck/raccoon/ coyote load while I was at it. I have an excess of unique right now and would like to avoid buying a new powder this instant until all our bills from having a baby and remodeling half the house are taken care of, or actually our saving recouped as we pay as we go.

Boolit Master
    There’s a couple of Threads on this. I saw 8 grains with a 145gr boolit. Todd

Boolit Master
    My 7x30Waters is an old style Contender Carbine with Bullberry 22" Barrel. I have had great luck with it and 120-130gr. Jwords with W748. I have a lot of it so when I decided to by a 7mm 135g. soupcan mold I thought I would try it. I wanted to use the Soup-cans for fireforming and practice, playing with to save money over the Jwords. My very first load with powder coated and BLL'ed gas checked soup cans was for fire forming with a starting load of 748. I was shooting sitting off of cross sticks at 50 yds, not paying particular attention to accuracy or velocity but checking the cases. Much to my surprise I shot 2, 5 shot groups under an inch and a quarter. I have not chono'ed this yet but was shocked with the accuracy...(I cant shoot much better than this off of sticks). It shows great promise and I am excited for the deer season to end so I can do more work with the cast. (those 10 rds shot clean, no leading of any kind)

Good Luck with your Water's it is a great cartridge.

Boolit Master

I just ran the 30-30 brass through the 7mm Waters size die and shot them with regular loads. Worked just fine and actually shot pretty good groups as well. 32gr of IMR4895 gave me the best groups out of my Martini conversion.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small frame Martini 001.jpg  
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Moderator Emeritus

8-9 gr Unique is plenty for fireforming and has decent accuracy. 135-150 gr cast.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze