MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rant and Rave Against Previous Owner

Boolit Master
    Well, I am one who has tried to do trigger work (on a 1911 with spare hammers). And, yes, I have messed them up. I have also had some good ones.

In the 'old days' there were books on gunsmith and pistol smith work. The pistol books had good descriptions of how to work on sears to get smoother/lighter triggers. It was all about angles and making jigs to do the work accurately (and a very good stone). The book I used specifically described working on Colt SAA and 1911 hammers.

It is easy to see where someone might take a stone to their gun. Go to a shoot and hear everyone talk about how their pistols have been 'fixed' up. They try it, mess it up, then find out how expensive a replacement is. Put it up for sale.

Boolit Master
    I’m no gunsmith but when Bubba wants to file where a $30 trigger meets a $250 hammer, he ought to know to file on the cheaper part.

Boolit Master

it doesn't work that way on a SA.

Have you considered just a heavier trigger return spring, to bring trigger weight up and theoretically the safety?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have been around this gun stuff for a very long time. I learned decades ago, never to buy a gun which has been modified or customized....never. It must be in factory trim before I will even consider the purchase.
    A thing I just read this weekend had some very good advcse: when considering buying a used revolver, check the screws. If the screw heads are kind of marred or had other indications of being messed around with leave it alone. Don't buy it. That was not so much concerning appearance; but rather an indicator that it had been "customized or modified". And in my experience such was not done by a qualified gunsmith, but more than likely by Bubba.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    it doesn't work that way on a SA.

Have you considered just a heavier trigger return spring, to bring trigger weight up and theoretically the safety?
    Test the trigger weight without the trigger return spring - just measure the friction weight. And then if the trigger weight is less than 2 pounds or so by itself, it is plumb dangerous.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m all about a gun owner having his guns “his way” but sometimes the customization/bubbafication defies logic.

Take this Smith & Wesson Model 48 .22 magnum for instance:

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url

I’m not really sure why the original owner went through the trouble of having the case hardening “jeweled” off the hammer and trigger.

Maybe he found it visually appealing, (I don’t know) but what really has me wondering is why he went through the trouble of having the rear of the cylinder jeweled as well.

The modifications don’t bother me (I wouldn’t have bought it if they did) but I do often wonder what the original owner was thinking when he had it done.

Replacing the hammer and trigger (in an attempt to get it “correct”) would be easy but sorting out the jeweling on the cylinder would be a bit involved.

The best thing about it was the price, I bought it about 3 years ago for $375.00 and it’s been a very good shooter.

The jeweling on the hammer and trigger do not help nor hinder operation (the contact surfaces/sear engagement were not jeweled) and the gun has been totally reliable (as long as I clean out under the extractor star with a toothbrush every 5 or 6 cylinders fired).

[QUOTE=Silver Jack Hammer;4513010]Attachment 230967

The Colt’s SAA was made before unions during a time when skilled manual labor was state of art. [QUOTE]

Thank God for unions and trained craftsman! I will take the precision and the craftsmanship of the Freedom Arms today over any Colt from even 100 years ago when it comes to state of the art skilled craftsman,, the old Colts hold some nostalgia, but not a candle to the Freedom Arms revolver, and that is what you are comparing to today. Back then Colt was your best option today the Fredom arms 83 or 97 will be around and doing their jobs for more rounds than them old Colts would even have thought about!!

Your issue has nothing to do skilled craftsman of today who are far superior to the craftsman and materials of yesterday, let alone gunsmiths, it is with some idiot who who has busier fingers than he has brains! Today if I wanted more than nostalgia I would, and do own Freedom Arms, Rugers, BFR's, all before I would go for the Colt when it comes to performance and reliability for the long haul! Thanks God for Unions,, they make sure the rest have standards to meet!

Boolit Master
    Whoa there Wildcatter. I was referring to the often made comment that the Colt’s was designed to be built by hand fitting parts compared to today’s guns which are designed to be built at union wages. Labor was cheaper in the 1870’s. There were no CNC machines in the 1870’s. This comment is often made when comparing Colt’s to Rugers types. The Ruger types were designed to be manufactured with a minimum amount of hands on time because wages are so much higher now.

I was shooting a Luger with a friend who is a gunsmith and talked about the cost of manufacturing a Luger at today’s union wages. Would be prohibitive.

I and others on this thread have referred to the guy with the file as Bubba. Not a skilled craftsmen, anything but. Neither does what Bubba did to this Colt’s I’ve got reflect on the manufacturer.

Finally referring to your comment about the reliability of the Colt’s. I have been shooting Colt’s for almost 40 years, own almost a dozen of them and have lots of friends who also own a lot of Colt’s SAA’s and shoot them a lot in less than favorable conditions. I’ve heard it said the Colt’s are fragile and prone to breakage. I haven’t seen any of these breakages. I’ve tried to break Colt’s by shooting them hard with full loads racking the hammer in non too gentle manner and shooting them without cleaning. I haven’t seen any of this fragileness. I probably put a couple of 100 rounds through Colt’s a week during the spring, summer and fall. Less in the winter A leaf mainspring goes about 20 years before breaking. I’ve replaced a couple of the trigger springs. These parts are cheap and easy to replace. When I was a peace officer I replaced springs as part of regular maintenance on my duty guns but I could run my Colt’s to failure since they are not duty guns. Colt’s fail not because their are fragile, which they are not, but because Bubba’s get ahold of them.

Boolit Master
    My gunsmith said the hammer could not be repaired without spending more man hours than it would cost to buy a new one. The search for a new hammer hasn’t been successful and I’m getting ready to send the pistol into the manufacturer.

There are some SAA specific gunsmiths. I have a Bisley that I bought for what you paid, but it only had 3 clicks. I sent both the hammer and trigger to Dave Lanara in OH. Both the trigger and hammer needed welds, $100 later my Bisley 38 WCF is within specs. davelanaracolts.com. Good luck

Remember you only need to send the parts, not the gun so you don’t have to pay the high shipping.

Boolit Master
    The hammer is a part that factory says needs to be fitted. I bought a used Colt’s SAA with a busted hammer rivet. I sent the hammer into the factory for new riveting of the firing pin. The Colt’s factory did the work and sent the hammer back to me. It broke again. Of course it broke after I had arrived at a 2 day match which was a 5 hours drive from my home. I sent the gun into the factory with a letter explaining what had happened and they fixed it. This was 20 years ago and that pistol has been running reliably ever since.

I like to buy new but every now and then a used gun shows up at a price I can’t refuse. Then my palms gets sweaty and my heart starts to pound and I know I’m toast, I’m gunna buy it. I have plenty of reliability running Colt’s to dink around with project guns.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a saa that had a scary trigger pull. This was 30+ years ago, anyway I bought one of the gunsmith videos for that shooter. I don't remember the drill, but no sear filing anyway, I was the able to adjust the trigger pull to a safe weight. I doubt I still have the vhs tape or even a vcr. I believe the procedure increased sear engagement.

Boolit Master
    And of course the Colt’s factory is closed until January 2nd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12