RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Uberti Walker nipples

Uberti Walker nipples

Got a brand new Uberti Walker (with CT date code) on Thursday. During initial inspection I noticed that nipple faces looked somewhat odd but didn't pay that much attention to their exact shape as the revolver was thoroughly covered by factory oil. However, after disassembling the gun for cleaning I soon noticed their looks isn't because of oil but machining or battering.

I have not dry fired the revolver and honestly I'm not sure if hammer face could have caused these dents but the way they orient in the cylinder might (?) support this hypothesis. However, blueing of the nipple faces looks deep black and untouched. If battered by the hammer this bad I'd suspect them to be more in the white.

Here are the nipples before unscrewing for initial cleaning. For what it's worth, the raised areas are pointing towards the arbor, almost like left as is by the hammer face notch.

Here are two close-ups after cleaning the factory oil/cosmo.

Do you think this might affect reliability and should I talk with the retailer about the "issue", if any? TIA.

Looks like SOMEONE at the gun shop was toying with your new Walker before putting it out for sale. Likely the most junior member of the store staff. Good news is that the nipples aren't expensive and should be replaced at no charge to you. Gp

Wow, now that was a quick reply. Thanks!

Indeed, color case hardening of the hammer face shows some wear which might indicate dry firing. On the other hand, the cylinder locking notches seem pristine and I'd suspect that oval notches with no leads would show wear caused by bolt drop fairly quickly if the action was cycled a lot and not brand new.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I would agree with above - looks like Junior at the gun shop dry fired it - more than once. Given the magnitude of the Walker - someone probably just couldn]t "help themselves" and had to play
    Clint Eastwood.

I just bought a Uberti Walker NIB from a member here - unfired. The nipples looked just fine when I tore it down to clean it. I have owned quite a few C& B revolvers over the last 50 + years - just about every kind made (report). Factory nipples are not the best and I usually replace them with a good quality set.

It this was at a gun shop, then who knows what customers did when they looked at it. If it was special order - then somewhere along the line somebody decided to play. I would take it back, show them the coditio of the nipples and see if they will replace them. if it ends up a big hassle then I would just order a good quality set from Trackof the Wolf or similar - at some point you're going to have to replace them anyway.

I would't interpret the lack of a drag line on the cylinder as the gun not being dry fired.

The Walker is a great historical revolver - enjoy and have fun with your Walker!

Trash those and get some Slix. I just put some on my 1860 and it mad a dramatic difference in reliability

I emailed these pictures to the seller and the shop owner, also an Uberti importer, promised to send me new nipples. These will Ubertis though but perhaps good enough to get started. He asked me to return the damaged nipples to reclaim the factory.

Got new nipples. This time cone faces are perfect, no signs of dry firing or other deformation. Too bad they have screwed the cone sides pretty badly when grinding flats for the nipple wrench slot. The grinder slips extend far enough to go under skirt of CCI No. 11 cap. Hopefully not enough gap to promote chain fire.

Last edited by CeeHoo; 11-28-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Fired first shots with Walker yesterday. Not real range session, just six caps followed by seven rounds at backyard before dark. CCI No. 11 caps seemed to fit snugly. One cap needed second hammer blow, but other than that, no misfires.

When cleaning the nipples I found out that four of them had lost some fragments of their threads. Breakage surfaces look rough, almost like the metal was too brittle. Hard to believe that could be the case. Never heard anybody talking about proper nipple torque but I assume they should be snug but not overtightened?
    Last edited by CeeHoo; 12-01-2018 at 03:05 AM.

Correct, I usually only barely or very lightly snug the nipples of my Pietta Remingtons.

From the shape of those cones, it looks like they sent you a set of nipples that should have been rejected.

And I've never seen any rejects like the 2 sets of nipples that you received in all my years of viewing C&B revolver photos and posts, since about 2005.

I would complain to Uberti and again to the dealer. You deserve a new set of perfect nipples.
    Last edited by arcticap; 12-01-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks. I got another reply from the retailer. They find the "grinder slips" of the cones as non-issue. Considering what nipples are worth and that yet another set of Ubertis might be junk also, it's probably good idea try to buy U.S. made nipples somewhere.

Track of the Wolf ships internationally but I don't see them accepting PayPal.

Banned

They take #10 caps not #11's Unless things have changed.